The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's

I can either get the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's mounted, balanced, tax included for $498 (from Firestone shop)

OR

I can get the BFG A/T KO's mounted, balanced, tax included for $460 (from Sam's club)

Both are 235/75-15's

MY QUESTION IS: Which of these is better in snow? and are those good prices?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bridgestone...firestone...I don;t give a crap. Keep your tires inflated, inspect them regularly and you won;t have an issue. I don;t think firestone/bridgestone would make the same mistake again...it was a hurtful experiance for them. Not to mention the bridgestone line is of higher quality then the firestone line. my old wilderness AT had sidewalls that felt no thicker then my bicycle tire sidewall, yet the bridgestone duelers are much more heavy duty...

My Dad has been riding on bridgestones for years, and i never had a problem with my firestone wilderness A/T....the only reason I got rid of them is ford offered to give me a free set of tires and I am not an idiot...i took advantage of that. I rode on the firestones for 6 months after the recall started only because I did not have a proboem using them and I wanted to get as many miles on them as I could before winter came. It's the people who neglected to inspect or properly inflate their tires who had issues....and with any tire if you run it way underinflated at high speeds..sure it will blow out...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

As far as warrenty

I guess it depends on where you go to buy the BFG's. I have a lifetime full replacement warranty on everything except tread wear. I was on a construction site and hit a 6-inch metal spike with 20,000 on the tire and America's Tire replaced the damaged tire with a brand new tire.

I also want to point out that I'm not saying the Revo is a bad tire, only that the off road abilities are not up to par even with some of their own line of tires. More of a street MS and light trail tire. I mean get real, Dick Cepeck and Mickey Thompson, and the Supper Swampers are a few that make a better off road tire, though the BFG AT/KO’s might not be able to keep up with them the BFG is a demonstrably better off road tire than the Revo. The Fact that Bridgestone using their tire finder comes up with the Dueler A/T with UNI-T when looking for on-off road tires should tell you something about the Revo’s.

Another thing is in Peterson’s 4wheel Drive Magazine considered by most to be the best off-road magazine on the market there is no mention or add for Bridgestone tires. I would think if the tire was aimed at the off-road crew there would be at least an advertisement for the tire in the magazine, there aren’t. But there are ads for the BFG AT/KO’s and the BFG KM’s. And it’s still true that the BFG’s have the heaviest sidewall compared to any mass-produced tire on the market.

For those who already know yes BFG and Petersons 4wheel drive did make an off-road video together but that does not mean they are in business together.

I gurantee you that Firestones quality is up to if not better than any other tire out there as far as safety goes. I love my tires for what they were made for, like I said earlier, I wish I had an MT because they look 100% better than the ATs. The only real gripe that I have about the tires is the pussy-a$$ looking sidewall, I HATE it, that is what I really like about the BFG A/T is that the sidewall looks MUCH better and beefier. I guess you cant have it all though, I think they are both awesome tires and are probably evenly match, you just get what you think will work best for you.

We all have our brand..who knows whats best, or what has the best traction..there is no comparison unless you and running identical vehicles side by side. All I know is I ran BFG's on my old 95 Explorer and i hated them. Sure they performed well for the first 15,000 miles, but after that i did not even feel safe stopping when it was raining hard. They were the BFG Long Trail T/A, which at that time was recommended by Consuper Reports as the best SUV/Light truck tire. i don;t know why it got that designation because I was quite unhappy with them and was glad to see them go after 15,000 miles. that is the main reason I won;t run a BFG tire....it did not last and did not offer traction I needed. After the BFG's I had Wilderness A/T tire and I felt MORE COMFORTABLE riding on the new Firestone tires then I did on my 15,000 mile BFG's. The Wilderness A/T had a nice ride, and actually stopped my truck in the rain and snow. i only had those tires for 6 months before ford bought me new Michelins due to the recall, and the michelins were the best on road tire I have even used. It was also very good in the sand. i could climb higher then Jeep Wranglers and pickup trucks in my Explorer, which really amazed me.
Now I'm back with Bridgestone and could not be happier.
I don;t care what people say about the BFG A/T KO....i'll never buy a set and will never recommend them for a daily driver....but thats my choice and I am not wrong because of that. i have my own experiance and make my own choices and it is not going to change.

BFG Long Trail

Michelin and BFG are the same company. The Long Trails are no way comparable to the BFG AT/KO’s. I had a set of the Long Trails and they do suck, and replaced them ASAP. I have also used Wranglers, they suck, Yokahamma Supper Diggers a decent tire, and a few others. But the BFG AT/KO’s in my humble opinion do the best job for a solid off/on road tire.

My point is simply that the Bridgestone Revo is not really intended for off-road use, and Bridgestone recommends the Bridgestone Dueler A/T with UNI-T as a choice for off-road.
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/
In the past I have used Bridgestone Desert Duelers II, and really liked the tire, but once I started using the BFG’s I have been sold on them ever since.

As stated earlier I had the Firestone Wilderness T/A’s and replaced them with some Dunlop’s. But wasn’t that happy with them and eventually replaced them with the BFG’s.

Ok, one of them is pretty stinkin good and the other is almost as good.

Good Lord y'all

They're both ALL TERRAIN tires

if they're not made to be used off road, I must have gotten a defected set b/c they have worked great for me off road. Must I post more pics?

At Tires?

At least off-road clubs and publications take the BFG KO's Seriously. Just take a look at the land trails and issues pages. Find the toughest rails they've run, and look for Revo's.
You will find the BFG AT/KO's and MT's there.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80
Sorry those pictures don't show me a thing.....

Re: At Tires?

Originally posted by Big Bear Bob
Sorry those pictures don't show me a thing.....

Ok, the BFG AT is the holy mecca of the all terrain tires

I guess my Revo's suck and I can't go anywhere in them.

I bow to the BFG greatness, yet I'm still very happy with my Revo's

Again I say, buy whichever tire you want b/c people are VERY opinionated ~ which is cool, thats what capitalism and competition is all about!

Hokie, I'm glad you came around and realized what a huge mistake you've made. (Waving hand to use Jedi mind trick) Your next tires WILL be BFG's.

:eek:

Ed;)

Re: At Tires?

Originally posted by Big Bear Bob
At least off-road clubs and publications take the BFG KO's Seriously. Just take a look at the land trails and issues pages. Find the toughest rails they've run, and look for Revo's.
Maybe thats because the KO's have been around for 20+ years and the Revos are new. Give it a couple of years when some of these old-timers decide to try something new. When I was looking into some Revo's I found several articles on the net that gave them a good rating, and user ratings on tirerack.com. I admit the KO's have a more aggressive tread pattern, which would give them more road noise, but I have read and seen pics (Hookie and net) of them both doing just as well offraod.

For the person who does very little off-roading and can't live with the road noise I would recommend Revos. Now for the guy who wants the agressive look and feels better about a tread pattern with some history I recommend the KO's. Probably neither for the hard core off-roader, maybe some Super Swampers, Mickey Thompsons or Thornbirds.

I ended up just getting some BFG Land Terrains and Walmart since they were under $90 each, and I have been happy with them.

lonestar

I agree 100%. The BFG's AT/KO's are not the best off-road tire by any means. But they do have thicker sidewalls that will hold up better when aired down and crawling over large sharp rocks. They are also rated a 9 out of 10 in mud and snow.

BTW the X isn't the end all 4X4 either, does a decent job on moderate trails and will do some advanced trails, but it's not a Jeep Rubicon or some other vehicle built for off-roading and comes standard lifted with rear lockers etc.

I'm pretty happy with the job the X has done for me, but when I've been off-road with some of the other Southern Ca. boys driving lifted Rangers and Jeeps the X was really working when they were just bouncing along.

I have a 98 XLT with the LS Diff and a 411 rear end. TT lifted to 2" with warrior shackles in the rear running 31X10.50 15 BFG AT/KO's so it's not a real off-road warrior, but in the icy snow and mud on the off-road trails up here in the San Bernardino Forrest it does pretty well for the most part.

Originally posted by Webster3
Hokie, I'm glad you came around and realized what a huge mistake you've made. (Waving hand to use Jedi mind trick) Your next tires WILL be BFG's.

:eek:

Ed;)

Pro Comp MT 33x12.50

And they won't be on a 'Sploder, probably a Jeep Comanche pickup :eek:

I want an old beater pickup for after college

Since we are talking about tires, I have 31 x 10.50 r15 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. I saw a Bridgestone Dueler "revo" tire earlier in this thread and was wondering if there is a difference between the "revo" and the tires I'm running? I also noticed that they don't have the same tread pattern, mine should last for 50,000 miles and some people from what I've heard can put another 10-20,000 miles on them. Thanks.

On Big Bear Bob's page, you can see pics of my Ford Ranger (before I sold her) with 33" BFG AT/KOs. I loved these tires, and I tried ordering them from 4WP until they told me they were backordered. I told them to set me up w/the TrXuS MTs, and I'm very happy with these as well..

Kencomingover_the_topa.jpg
BFGs got me up the Mtn - not a wimpy street tire like a Revo...

kenonafewrocksa.jpg
BFG's AT/Ko is King of the Mtn!

-Ken

i know i will be going with Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's

quotes from Bridgestone

This is really getting silly. The links I placed for Bridgestone tires web site has a tire selector, where it describes both the Revo and the Dueler A/T with UNI-T
The tread on the Revo is much more like a street tire as described by Bridgestone “With its powerful grip and smooth ride, the Dueler A/T REVO with UNI-T AQ II is the light truck and SUV tire that's equipped for the best and worst of driving conditions. Thanks to the advanced technology, it lets you handle the wet, the dry, even the snow, as the tire wears. With its aggressive tread and sidewall design, even the look of the Dueler A/T REVO grabs attention wherever you go” Nowhere here does it mention off-road abilities.
Then they go on to say, “For the adventurous driver searching for a balance between refined highway driving and off-road performance, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T with UNI-T has it all. It lets you conquer both worlds...without compromising the comfort of a civilized ride”. Bridgestone is saying this it’s not my opinion these are quotes from Bridgestone’s web site.

So in this case why is there a discussion on which of the two is the better A/T tire?
The reality of it is if you want a tire that is quite and might have some light off-road abilities the Revo might be for you.

But I would not air down a Revo to 24 lbs and go rock crawling as I’ve done with the BFG’s.
The BFG’s have the thickest sidewall on the mass produced A/T tire market. So they are better able to handle the rigors of climbing trails of large boulders and razor sharp shale. So if on the other hand you want to do some serious off-roading, and rock crawling etc, the BFG ‘s are the way to go. The BFG AT/KO’s are also rated to be a 9 out of 10 as a Mud /Snow tire with it’s heavy side lugs the tire digs into the ice for a solid grip, and if you don’t mind a little road noise the BFG AT/KO’s are the ticket. Look at pictures of the two and then decide which has the better off-road design, it’s obvious.

I have had many different types of tires on various SUV's over the years. From my own personal experience, here is what I have found:

- Anything Goodyear is AWFUL when it comes to proper wear, noise, pretty much anything, etc.
- My mom's explorer has had worse tire wear with her replacement Dunlop Radial Rover AT's. I mean these things are cracking and have worn out to a useless level in less than 30K miles and my mom is the most mellow SUV driver in the world.
- I miss the old Firestone Radial ATX (first OE explorer tire) cause they were just a good all around tire (from my experience).
- I have had two sets of BFG All Terrain's over the years and they have both done the same thing... The last forever, get noisier as they get older, hydroplain like a mother (my 2000 BMW 323ci with Nittos 18's on it does better in the rain.) and really love to be off road. They are a strong tire and I have actually had GREAT performance in the mud, deep snow (when its soft) and in lose dirt and gravel. I have been very happy with them, and if there were no other options, would probably endure the wet traction and the noise due to the fact its not a bad tire.

Now that the AT Revo is out, they are going on my mom's truck and mine. Hers is s stock size and mine are 31x10.5x15's. I now live in Colorado, and just cannot tolerate the tendancy to hydroplain, and the questionable snow and ice performance. I would never say the BFG's are dangrous, but just not what I would like to have on my SUV. Every review I have read, and all of my friends that have the Revo's say they are the best all around AT for an SUV they have ever used. Since my truck does see the dirt and mud, I do want a tire with a certain amount of competancy in these areas, but the most important thing to me is wet, daily dry, the varied snow and ice of Colorado, and long tread life. I know I am getting Revo's as soon as the money is avail, and I can justify ditching the BFG's. If you do a lot of off road, wet and varied snow is not an issue (like in So Cal, Arizona, Texas, etc...) then I would def go with the BFG's. They are a great tire, wear like iron, and will safely get you where you need to go.

I just thought I would make a post with my OWN OPINIONS to contribute to the debate here.

The best thing to do though is to as friends, people on forums, and fine someone who drives what you do and the way you do, and see what the general conscensus is. Good luck guys, and if you feel the need to reply or want to tell me personally that I am a complete idoit.. feel free to email me at aroohk@hotmail.com.

Peace and good luck!

A Road tire vs All Terrain

It goes back to what I said earlier according to Bridgestone, the Revo's are a road tire! I have quoted their site repeatedly and it's their words. Go to their site and see for yourself.
As far as living in the snow, I live in Southern Ca. at 7200 feet and we get snow on and off from September through June. The BFG's have done great on black ice, deep snow, and the inches of compacted white snow that covers the roads up here half of the winter.
As far as hydroplaning goes I have never had a problem hydroplaning on the BFG's either, and believe if you drive unsafely enough to hydroplane on them you'll likely hydroplane on anything out there. Get what you want, but have enough sense to read what the maker has to say about the tires before you make a decision.
BTW I have BFG A/T KO's on my 2001 Dodge Laramie SLT Off Road 4X4 truck. I replaced the OEM GoodYear Wranglers and again a night and day difference.

Big Bear Bob said:
This is really getting silly. The links I placed for Bridgestone tires web site has a tire selector, where it describes both the Revo and the Dueler A/T with UNI-T
The tread on the Revo is much more like a street tire as described by Bridgestone “With its powerful grip and smooth ride, the Dueler A/T REVO with UNI-T AQ II is the light truck and SUV tire that's equipped for the best and worst of driving conditions. Thanks to the advanced technology, it lets you handle the wet, the dry, even the snow, as the tire wears. With its aggressive tread and sidewall design, even the look of the Dueler A/T REVO grabs attention wherever you go” Nowhere here does it mention off-road abilities.
Then they go on to say, “For the adventurous driver searching for a balance between refined highway driving and off-road performance, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T with UNI-T has it all. It lets you conquer both worlds...without compromising the comfort of a civilized ride”. Bridgestone is saying this it’s not my opinion these are quotes from Bridgestone’s web site.

So in this case why is there a discussion on which of the two is the better A/T tire?
The reality of it is if you want a tire that is quite and might have some light off-road abilities the Revo might be for you.

But I would not air down a Revo to 24 lbs and go rock crawling as IÂ’ve done with the BFGÂ’s.
The BFG’s have the thickest sidewall on the mass produced A/T tire market. So they are better able to handle the rigors of climbing trails of large boulders and razor sharp shale. So if on the other hand you want to do some serious off-roading, and rock crawling etc, the BFG ‘s are the way to go. The BFG AT/KO’s are also rated to be a 9 out of 10 as a Mud /Snow tire with it’s heavy side lugs the tire digs into the ice for a solid grip, and if you don’t mind a little road noise the BFG AT/KO’s are the ticket. Look at pictures of the two and then decide which has the better off-road design, it’s obvious.

Thats funny because I was just pricing the Revos at the tire rack for my buddys EX and this is part of what Bridgestone OR Tirerack said on Tireracks site:
The dualer Revo was developed to meet the needs of PkUp & SUVs owners who drive their vechiles both on and off road.
The Dueler A/T Revo is Bridgestones first Off-Road All Terrain light truck tire to feature UNI-T AQ11 Technology.
I can see they don't really look like other off road tires and my buddy says their OK for some off roading. All I can say is that we never got stuck in 3-5 mile dirt-grass-rock even snow covered roads with the Revos while hunting, except the 5' snow drifts, but to me they still just don't look as aggressive as a off road tire should be for real off roading. But for all around I will say that they will be hard to beat. One thing I can say from experience is that they are exceptional great snow tires.
On Bridgestones site when you click on "print product page" it says that the Revo is a Civilized all terrain tire. Whatever that means.

Back