The product of my mind 7.3 psd 1st gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The product of my mind 7.3 psd 1st gen

jprentice94

Reaction score
City, State
oroville ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sas explorer
My trans is blown again for 3rd time and the motor is basically blown up so i figure its time to swap the motor and get a bigger transmission.The plan if goes as planned is im going to get a 5.0 out of a 92 bronco from my buddy for cheap. He is going to give me everything motor,trans,transcase,whole wiring (so i can eliminate power window stuff and not have to splice stuff) and the ecu. Hopefully i can still smog it in California but not to sure if i can any input or insight is greatly appreciated.

So far i have about 2 hours into it i got whole top of motor out to the heads, all the wiring disconected but not through firewall and also found out theres like a crown on the pushrod that was broke.

Update 1 got part of the wiring harness out of the interior its the factory radio and power window,door ,Locks. I saved the tail light part of it and found out a bronco frame is approximately 10 1/2 inches wider then an explorer frame

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope that works for You,

Ya havnt did much on it layely as i dont own a cherry picker so when i decide to go borrow one the motor will be all the way out plus pics

As far as I know, here in Commifornia and from what I have been told from the BAR is that as long as you are putting a newer engine than the year rig you have than it shouldn't be a problem. You just need to make sure that whatever extra emmision crap that is on a 92 Bronco goes over with the swap as well. ECU, catalytic system form the Bronco, etc. Basically they summed it up to me that as long as the vehicle is somg required, newer is no problem, older is out of the question legally that is.

I would however double check with the BAR as I would not hold a stick to information staying the same the way this state changes laws.

I have been researching the idea myself for a summer project of doing an engine swap but want to try and stick a 4BT Cummins in. I only know of one other diesel Explorer that I have seen on Youtube.

If i could find a deal on a chevy 6.5 turbo diesel i would put that in but im gettin a deal for this motor so cant pass up. As far as i know with reaserch ive done is a 4bt is perfect fit for these. The only thing im worried about is mines a 92 and broncos a 92 so would that be fine

With the tranny upgrade I'm not even sure a 6.5L would even be feasable without an extreme front end modification. And even then I doubt there is even enough rig to be able to handle that monster of a power train. That would sure be a sight to see if someone can make that work.

Your signature says you have a 91 Ex. You do have a 92?

The 6.5 is the best candidate next to the 4bt the weight is fairly light and some firewall massaging and it would fit the 6.5 weighs 650 200 or so more then stock 4.0 every other diesel is in the 1000s.
Yeah my sig is wrong haha its a 92xlt

Hmm,...interesting. Never considered a 6.5L before. I figured something of that size would take a hefty amount of modification and fab in order to make it work. Might have to think about that one. Although I have been a big fan of Cummins ever since my last Dodge pickup so still hoping to find that diamond in the rough.

Yeah I don't think you will have any problem with the year range. I never asked about same year modification. I think it's just older they frown upon. I would still double check with the BAR though. I am still wondering what complications I am going to run in trying to make a diesel conversion street legal in this state. Especially since I won't have to smog it anymore. That's the biggest plus for me! :thumbsup:

I bet if I told them I wanted to power it via solar panels they would roll out the red carpet for me.

I guess theres some new laws where you cannot put any diesel in any gas vehicle just what i heard but that wouldnt stop me i was lookin for a chevy blazer with 6.5 and then just body swap and make new body mounts

Yeah thats what I am afraid of. I would hate to go through that expense and find out that I can't make it street legal. From what I read, that youtube video of somebody installing a 4BT in his 98 XLT was getting close to the 28mpg range. Not sure how true that is but I would love to make mine a daily commuter with that fuel economy.

Here is the video if you haven't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06vc6GebDWk

I have been researching the idea myself for a summer project of doing an engine swap but want to try and stick a 4BT Cummins in. I only know of one other diesel Explorer that I have seen on Youtube.

Beware, this is a costly project. A friend of mine had a 4BT installed in a 05 Rubicon and a few other mods and it cost him 23K. Granted, he didn't do it himself.

IMAG0185.jpg

That is a beautiful swap i am bound and determined to have a sased diesel explorer everyone around me an friends all say its impossible too diesel an explorer except using a 4bt and im one that will breakit trying before i let someone tell me i cant. I hav been thinking of registering it in nevada or quincy were theres no smog

And were i live a 4bt is pretty costly on its own i found a 6.5 blazer for 2300 whole running truck

Yeah I figure it's going to cost me a few dollars to do it right. I've been on the search for a good project vehicle to work on and if I can stick a diesel in my current Honda Accord commuter right now I would do it in a heartbeat. There is just something about diesel smoke and hot coffee in the morning that makes me want to get up early. Plus having something that is fairly unique makes it tempting to do. Don't know of any first gen Ex diesel around.

I am kind of open to the 6.5L option now that you mention it. Although the impressive mpg's out of that 4BT that he is getting makes it a bit more attractive. Not sure I would get even close to that with a 6.5L.

What year did they come stock with turbo?

I dont think they are that good on gas but the power is sexy 195 hp 30 more then v6 4.0
And 425 ft lbs of torque i think 4.0 has 225. I think all of them had an option for it i would love to find one just to take measurements of everything the only measurments i found seemed like it would fit but i would know forsure if it was in front of me

That helped a lot thanks i searched everywhere for that info and couldnt find it.

..It used to be in the Cali section but now it's in "under the hood"..

The Jeep I mentioned about is getting 26 hwy mpg with 35's and 4.11 gears.

Thatwould be a sweet swap but the more and more i read about the 6.5 makes me wanna do it found one shoved in a camaro so it will fit in a expo fosho

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a First gen Ex out there somewhere that has a Volvo 5 cylinder turbo diesel in it; claims 36 MPG highway. Bolted to the a4ld with an adapter plate. Zero to 60 in 7 seconds, not bad for a knock monster.

Le'me see if I can find the thing... ..

Back