The Twisted Sister Build Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Twisted Sister Build Thread

Well here is my registry. a little bit about me. i am 23 years old. i am currently an in the accelerated nursing program and work full time.

My overall goal for my truck is to make it into a very capable, fun, family offroad truck. I want to be able to go through ANYTHING i point it at, but i also want to be able to run it down the highway at 80mph.

i have a take home car, so gas mileage is not a big deal right now.

i got my truck back in high school a 2000 mounty v8 AWD with 88,000 miles for $3,500. its come a long way since them. and will go a lot farther.
currently on 6-19-2015 sitting at 174k miles

COMPLETED PROJECTS
Warrior Shackles with AAL, TT Twist.
Trimmed bottom of front bumper
Bedlined bottom of truck
Removal of side steps
Replaced upper ball joints
Mag light mounted to a-pillar
Rancho rs5000 up front.
Monroe sensa trac load adjusters in the back
Removed roof rack
Replaced wheel hubs in the front (need to do again this summer)
Blacked out tail lights
Gas tank skid plate
Fixed drivers window that didnt go up or down
Kenda Klevar 32x12.5x15 tires (plus spare)
homemade rear tire carrier
LED 24" light bar behind grille
Clearance lights
Smoked headlights
CB radio/ CB antenna
Camo seat covers
Fixed broken cruise control buttons
Red LED map light/ 2nd row (need to do cargo area)
Custom orange mesh grille
Bed linered hood
Relocated license plate to bumper
Hi-Lift jack mounted on the hood
New Radiator/ hoses

TO DO LIST!
Tube bumper
Winch plate/ winch
35" or 37" tires on 15x10 rims
manual transfer case conversion
SAS Dana 44/ Ford 9"
Rock sliders
Homeade snorkel
Tube Doors
remove carpet and bedliner cargo area
Auxiliary reverse lights
Fender Flares

This is my list. its long BUT i have plenty of time of ahead of me to do all this. below i will post pics of the completed projects

2000 Mountaineer Build Thread. <--- old non-elite thread which has all the links for future projects.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Where did you order them from?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Dang man! Do work! Can't wait to see the pics! I love what you've done to your X!

Dang man! Do work! Can't wait to see the pics! I love what you've done to your X!

Thanks man! once the tires come in and i get them mounted ill take some pics and then put the pics from the tail lights/ cb whips on here.

and KAZER ordered from amazon. free shipping. was pretty satisfied. just need to figure out a spare... it seems no one has that size used. so i may be stuck buying another one (probably just do a cheap non MT) just so i can have something if i get a flat so i can limp home. but not sure yet.

also this saturday i will be taking a run out to the mounds with KAZER so hopefully some pics will be up from that.

well the tires are here! however, i just got out of the hopsital after a week of being there. i had my appendix rupture. so needless to say for the next about 4-6 weeks i can not even lift anything of 10-15 lbs. so basically that means i cant even lift the tires to get them into my truck to get them to the tire dealer. so basically everything will be on hold for oo idk about end of april.

here is an update of pictures i have been slacking on for a while now.
1zvz6yp.jpg
new tinted taillights.
vdk3fp.jpg
new tires! these babies are MEATY!!!! 32x11.5x15 got them off amazon for $150 shipped
2v19387.jpg
another shot of tires.

so far i love the tires i have to air them down a little bit as i noticed the outsides thread isnt getting that much/ isnt getting any contact with road surface.
the tire guy said my right rear rim was bent so there is ALOT of weight on it. I also noticed that besides the left front all the tires have quite a heafty amount of weight on them.
so far idk how far off my speedo is. but from a stop to about 10/15mph the truck has a small shake im assuming its from the low speed and the lugs which are really deep. but once you get up to speed it will just hum a little bit and no shaking. other than that i have no problems at all truck turns without a rub. i am still considering 1.25 inch wheel spacers though.

here is an update of pictures i have been slacking on for a while now.
1zvz6yp.jpg
new tinted taillights.
vdk3fp.jpg
new tires! these babies are MEATY!!!! 32x11.5x15 got them off amazon for $150 shipped
2v19387.jpg
another shot of tires.

so far i love the tires i have to air them down a little bit as i noticed the outsides thread isnt getting that much/ isnt getting any contact with road surface.
the tire guy said my right rear rim was bent so there is ALOT of weight on it. I also noticed that besides the left front all the tires have quite a heafty amount of weight on them.
so far idk how far off my speedo is. but from a stop to about 10/15mph the truck has a small shake im assuming its from the low speed and the lugs which are really deep. but once you get up to speed it will just hum a little bit and no shaking. other than that i have no problems at all truck turns without a rub. i am still considering 1.25 inch wheel spacers though.

Do you mean you got them for $150 each or for all 4?

well today i went to my hometown. with the assitance of my dad we looked at my drivers window issue again. after about 8 hours of work. we established it is the red wire on the window motor that comes from inside the truck somewhere that is broke or shorting out. basically what we ended up doing is wiring it redneck still with a up switch and a down switch. so yea here is the final product!
2cf6q07.jpg

Well today i went out an bought a street bike! 1997 yzf600r thundercat 17500 miles on it!
2e6aez9.jpg

5/24/2013 update!

Hey guys,

Yea its been WAY long since ive even been on this site or posted in my registry.

so if anyone is actually reading this and cares.... i am in process for the Indiana State Police. I have so far passed the written exam, physical fitness test, oral board interview, and polygraph, and now i am just waiting to hear back to see when my background will start. So with background all thats left after that is a psych eval and then i will hopefully be starting november 10th in the academy! pretty excited.

So a little update, i bought a street bike sold it , bought another one sold it, and then now bought another one a 2004 R6. Its pretty sick! so that is taking most of my time up. The end of the year i got super busy with school and work. I am now into summer time still taking classes and working ALOT. So yea! I finally got a day off with some time to do stuff.

5d2jqq.jpg
theres the bike!

I have been having a squeak in the front end of my truck, and i looked it up online appartently its the sway bar bushing, so i replaced the right side today.... left side is stuck on cant get the back bolt out so i am just letting it soak with PB blaster. No pics because well there isnt much to pic of. Also i found my stabalizer bar bolts super loose so i tightened those while i was under there.

Next i moved onto my CB whips. i have had them sitting in the garage since about november/ december. so yea been too long. I got the Whips installed using some hood mounts and painted them green. I also installed the PA speaker in the front, and i installled my speaker inside again.
2r1zclx.jpg
from a distance dual whips. (passanger side isnt actually hooked up)

2ro6xjm.jpg
Up close of mount

14vjskp.jpg
Grille off shows where i put it

34yqq6d.jpg
and everything back together.... kind of hidden.

But this is pretty much where truck is at today.... i did clean the inside up a little bit.

OH YEA! so if anyone is actually reading this and cares.... i am in process for the Indiana State Police. I have so far passed the written exam, physical fitness test, oral board interview, and polygraph, and now i am just waiting to hear back to see when my background will start. So with background all thats left after that is a psych eval and then i will hopefully be starting november 10th in the academy! pretty excited.

Congrats on the Police Academy and the new bike! Truck looks great! Think you could post a how-to on how you mounted the whips up front? Kinda tired of mine being on my taillights. Thanks!

Congrats on the Police Academy and the new bike! Truck looks great! Think you could post a how-to on how you mounted the whips up front? Kinda tired of mine being on my taillights. Thanks!

sure thing! itll be a couple days before i can get around to it most likely. but i will do that. And yea i wouldnt mind doing the tailight version... idk im going to see how much they sway around and hold up on the highway today enroute to bundy hill.

But thanks!

Bundy hill trip Memorial day weekend!

First, Ryan i will get you that write up... just give me a few. i actually need to buy a new CB im sure my is fried...

so yea saturday over memorial day weekend a friend i work with in his wrangler and i decided to head to bundy hill for fun! it was pretty good. very tight trails, and we really struggled to find a lot of the trails because they were not marked well at all! But here are the pics. most are of his Jeep because he didnt take many pics and we really didnt stop to take pics much.

IMG_20130525_112603_zpsd46451f5.jpg
This is my friends wrangler him climbing a hill haha....

IMG_20130525_120210_zps76531fe9.jpg
this was before i lost my flag. i believe this is towards the start of the day?

IMG_20130525_121308_zps03635d2c.jpg
cant find the pic if i do i will post it later. but this is the hill i went down and then up another smaller one and got stuck. I dont understand the no trespassing sign??? there were LOTS of those lol.

IMG_20130525_123751_zps5bd0d48d.jpg
This is what my tire looks like after i sink it in probably 10 inchs of mud... the mud was VERY deceiving thankfully i went for the slow approach versus hitting it hard.

IMG_20130525_133219_zps5fefe6f1.jpg
Doesnt look like much.... but probably the most "sketchy" hill we went down. when i went down the guys said my back tire came off the ground, and i cut the corner very close. when he came down he started sliding forward into the turn. it was really loose dirt, and a very steep part into a 90 degree downward turn.

IMG_20130526_172634_zpsf66d3a77.jpg

IMG_20130525_174206_zps919d976c.jpg

These are after i made it home safely.

Goals of the day- dont kill my cute co pilot, dont roll my truck, dont break anything. SUCCESSFUL DAY!

Looks like a fun day! And ive got like 5 or 6 of those no trespassing signs (the exact one that was in the picture). And i need that write-up man! me and my friend are fixing to go on a road trip and would like to be able to talk to my friend and truckers haha

Looks like a fun day! And ive got like 5 or 6 of those no trespassing signs (the exact one that was in the picture). And i need that write-up man! me and my friend are fixing to go on a road trip and would like to be able to talk to my friend and truckers haha

its supposed to rain tomorrow so i wont work. what exactly do you want? just how the whips are installed/ ran cable?

its supposed to rain tomorrow so i wont work. what exactly do you want? just how the whips are installed/ ran cable?

Just of the mounts and how you made them

Just of the mounts and how you made them

Oh i didnt make then. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProComm-JBC..._Radio_Comm_Device_Mounts&hash=item2ea2b5ac01

This is the ebay listing i used. i just went and bought two of these. doesnt come with screw though. so i just used some screws, popped the hood and put them where i thought they looked good. It was very hard to do alone though. it was a challange to hold the bracket, hold the screw/ screw gun upside and have enough pressure to punch through the metal. And then i just marked the other side so i could get even. each bracket is held with 2 screws.

Well a little update. Currently i am toying with the idea of taking my doors off the truck thanks to 01STrunner i really want to do this... which will inevitably lead to a body lift, and spacers going on my truck. So stay tuned! hopefully by end of july that will all be done.

This weekend i did some maintance on the truck! i went ahead and changed the spark plugs and wires (only about 75k miles old!) so yea that needed to be done put i had a check engine light code for a missfire on one. seems to be running good, and no longer does the "i want to stall when im wet" thing.

Hey guys... I dont know if anyone actually looks at this or not but i will give an update!

so this summer i spent 100% of my time riding street bikes and working on them. ive owned 4 this summer. Been fun.

2 weeks ago i went with KAZER to the mounds and had a blast!
currently truck hasnt changed. i may be looking into an exhaust here pretty soon. and i think im going to try and find a cold air intake for it. i have the part just need a filter for it. havent decided my plan of attack yet.

Back