• Register Today It's free!

There's a Snake Under my Hood !

prayforsurf0

Reaction score
City, State
Montauk NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Or a vacuum leak. I'm thinking its a vacuum leak because I just started noticing this hissing sound coming from the drivers side under the hood when the car is running. When the car is stopped the hissing continues for a quick second or two more before completely dying, like the last bits of air in a deflating balloon. What's baffling me is that I cannot find any loose connections. It seems like its coming from the front drivers side, behind or below the battery. Engine idle is a little less smooth compared with my usual rumble.

I've read that it can be the brake booster failing, and although it sort of sounds like that could be the origin of the hissing when the hood is shut, once I open it up and move my ear around it seems to be strongest sounding when listening to the front as I said, near the battery and radiator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The evap purge valve and related hoses are located under the battery box. The rubber hoses tend to rot when they get old (where gloves when touching them).

Get a mongoose.

If its just hissing, go ahead and open the hood and check it out. Now if its rattling.....

I got one auto solution, and two snake solutions. I'm starting to think it's a snake again ! haha thanks guys ! and koda2000 I'm gonna put you on speed dial. Always on it, thanks again, you've helped me many times.

I got one auto solution, and two snake solutions. I'm starting to think it's a snake again ! haha thanks guys ! and koda2000 I'm gonna put you on speed dial. Always on it, thanks again, you've helped me many times.

You're most welcome. I've accumulated all this Explorer knowledge so I might as well share it with others.

You're most welcome. I've accumulated all this Explorer knowledge so I might as well share it with others.

Any chance you know the diameter and length of those hoses ? I haven't looked at it yet, its been raining around here. Additionally I live in a semi remote place. I'll be driving past the auto store today. It'd be nice to pick up some vacuum line while I'm passing the store without having to try and look at what I'm dealing with while it's still raining out.

Any chance you know the diameter and length of those hoses ? I haven't looked at it yet, its been raining around here. Additionally I live in a semi remote place. I'll be driving past the auto store today. It'd be nice to pick up some vacuum line while I'm passing the store without having to try and look at what I'm dealing with while it's still raining out.

Sorry I don't recall. Remove the battery and plastic battery box and you'll be able too see the area and hoses. The hoses may be special (maybe not) as fuel related hose is usually special to prevent breakdown from fuel or fuel vapors.

Yea, so the hissing is definitely coming from the EVAP purge valve hose at the green connection (upper hose). When I take it off and plug it quickly before the car stalls, the hissing stops. I tried putting some O rings in there as a gasket, which didnt work. I also wrapped the purge valve male connection point with a piece of electrical tape to increase the diameter and give the hose a tighter fit. That didnt work either. I think I need to get a new quick connection. How do I find this ? I haven't been able to locate it in RockAuto inventory from my truck.

You can try Ford, but a lot of parts for our old vehicles are discontinued at this point. You may need to get creative. Have you tried a hose clamp for the time being.

You could also take the hose off and take it to the auto parts store an try to match it to something. IDK how to get around the quick disconnect.

As long as the engine side is plugged, not having the purge valve connected isn't the end of the world, though it may set the CEL.

A long time ago I read a post showing a picture of the purge valve. The person who posted was fighting such a leak, and, finally had to remove the valve to discover a small hole "melted" into it from what was assumed to be battery drip. The hole was very well hidden on the underside of the male nipple and located in a manner which prevented the hose from plugging it.

Just a thought.

A long time ago I read a post showing a picture of the purge valve. The person who posted was fighting such a leak, and, finally had to remove the valve to discover a small hole "melted" into it from what was assumed to be battery drip. The hole was very well hidden on the underside of the male nipple and located in a manner which prevented the hose from plugging it.

Just a thought.

Good idea. Worth checking for a hole.

Good idea. Worth checking for a hole.

True.Thanks for remembering that Turdle and taking the time to pass that info on. I'll double check but I'm inclined to think its not a hole on the purge valve because the hissing sound of the leak stops when I disconnect the hose and plug it. This leads me to believe the hissing is coming from the connector.

Koda, I was thinking to remove the quick connect and use a zip tie, but the hose is not rubber. Its a plastic, so the zip tie wont be able to compress the hose around the male piece of the purge valve.

Think I'm gonna remove the quick connect anyway, and use a slightly larger hose to overlap the purge valve and the original plastic hose and zip tie both ends.

Hey guys, just wanted to revive this thread, and thank turdle for remembering about another similar thread where the OP had a small hole in his vent valve causing a leak. I pulled the valve to check for a hole and discovered that there was one ! No idea how it happened, but definitely there. Today I had connected the hose directly to the valve with a hose clamp (eliminating the quick connect) thinking that would solve the problem. When it did not I realized that there has to be a hole in the valve. Turdle you were correct. Thanks for remembering that thread and taking the time to bring it up. Cheers

IMG_0768.JPG

Clean it up good and slather on some JB weld over the Hole. It'll probably last longer than the rest of the truck.

Clean it up good and slather on some JB weld over the Hole. It'll probably last longer than the rest of the truck.

Exactly what I did ! Thanks !

I have these parts if anyone ever needs them again< I crush/recycle/flip a lot of explorers
I have also done many mcgyverisms to fix those plastic hoses and fittings. emissions fuel vapor system on the Gen II is a PITA

I have these parts if anyone ever needs them again< I crush/recycle/flip a lot of explorers
I have also done many mcgyverisms to fix those plastic hoses and fittings. emissions fuel vapor system on the Gen II is a PITA

Cool, I actually need the tray, and everything that is mounted to it (vapor canister etc) in the rear of the vehicle over the spare tire. How much for the tray, mounting hardware, and evap stuff that gets mounted to that tray ?

Back