1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Thermostat Housing Leak?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by just2dune, October 3, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. just2dune

just2dune New Member

City, State:
      mesa,az.
      Year and Model:
      2003 explorer xlt
      Took 02 Exlpr XLT 4.0 to dealer for a leak. Dealer says has warped thermostat housing, of course not covered under extended warranty. Going to take care of myself. Is it a basic thermostat and housing replacement or are there any tricks that I need to be aware of to make the job easier? Can't believe dealer quoted over $500 to replace..

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. XtremeRanger

XtremeRanger Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ga
      Year and Model:
      '95 Ranger XLT
      My GF's just started leaking today. Its a 10 minuites thing to replace yourself if you have some tools....

I just replaced my Moms on her 98 and had to remove the upper intake manifold. Her part was $230. For the 02 models the intake was redsesigned and made it EASY to take off....I literally took my GFs of in 5 minutes. Not sure of the price yet, its leaking at the seam so Im going to try some plastic weld or somthing first before I go looking for a new one.

My Moms was cracked so it couldnt be fixed at all....

For $230 tho, it came with new temp sensors and the thermostat as well.....Decently price for everything. I think wy GF's will be cheaper...it has One less sensor it it....

$500 is WAY too much!.....Bend over....:confused:

It cant be "warped" the dang thing is PLASTIC!

4. fixxxer

fixxxer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Aurora, Co.
      Year and Model:
      93 XLT 4X4
      Many types of thermo-plastics CAN warp, so can ABS plastic, especially if there is uneven tension on the plastic mounts.

5. not8taxi

not8taxi Active Member

City, State:
      queens, ny
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT
      it should be the lower thermostat housing...i actually replaced this on my 02 ex....you would have to drain the antifreeze from the car to replace the housing...i went ahead and got a new thermostat and replaced that as well...just make sure u get the housing, the gasket for the bottom of the housing and a thermostat...if your handy you shouldnt have a problem...here a link to the other thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2031438#post2031438

Last edited: October 5, 2008
    6. mdawson2121

mdawson2121 New Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer V6 4X4
      I have an 04 explorer 4.0 L flex fuel. I just replaced my housing, o-ring, gasket, coolant temp sensor and thermostat for less than $80.00. it took me about 20 minutes to take the old one out and put the new one in.

Let me know if you need help, I got most of my parts from Advance Auto Parts with the exception of the housing, housing had to be purchased from dealer for $53.00

All you need is pair of adjustable pliers and set of metric ratchet sets

7. FlashBuddy

FlashBuddy New Member

City, State:
      Fort Collins, CO
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Exporer