and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Thermostat replacement, 2004 Explorer 4wd

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KasieMay, July 25, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KasieMay

KasieMay New Member

City, State:
      knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      2004 Explorer
      Hi there. Brand new to this sort of thing, and this forum, so any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
      I have, what I think (from research) is a bad thermostat in my 2004 Ford Explorer. I bought a new one, and the seal to go with it, hoping I could find a friend or relative to replace it , (I'm a single mom and Grad student, no where near a mechanic) but no luck. So it looks like I'm going to try to do it myself. I do my own maintenance such as oil changes, brake pads etc, but this will be my first real repair.
      My question is, is this something I can do on my own, and if so any suggestions or websites to check out would be great. I tried YouTube, but I couldn't really see where they were working on the engine. Thanks again for your help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 1ATony

1ATony EF Vendor

City, State:
      mass
      Year and Model:
      92 explorer
      Welcome to the site

4. jghake

jghake Member

City, State:
      Washington
      Year and Model:
      2003 Explorer XLT Flex
      One of the best things you can do to prepare yourself is head down to your auto parts store and pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual. They can be a real help when doing routine maintenance such as a thermostat.

It really shouldn't be to hard for you to do alone. Basically all you will need to do is remove the 3 bolts on the thermostat housing and remove the old thermostat and put the new one in. I believe they are 8mm bolts. Make sure you pay attention to which way the old thermostat was in. If you install the new one backwards fluid won't flow and you will have to do it again. Also make sure you use a nice bead of RTV sealant when reinstalling the cap back on. This will prevent the housing from leaking coolant.

Let us know how it goes!

5. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)