They Do Roll!! I Don't Know How I Survived... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

They Do Roll!! I Don't Know How I Survived...

I am home now from the hospital. Not doing too well. This was terrible. Took a quick minute to post these. Will explain more of this terrible accident later.

21512DSC00167.JPG

21512DSC00168.JPG

21512DSC00169.JPG

21512DSC00170.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rfuree11 said:
i dont know, there are some signs of a photoshop (maybe its just me in denial and im def. gonna feel like an ass if im wrong), if it was a PS, it's a really good one....please come back here and tell me it isnt true, pleeeeeeeeeeeease....your truck was beautiful...either way, its great to see you are okay. thats whats really important
Photochop? not a clue but it looks more like someone ran the Ex into the back end of a semi than a rollover, look at the front end and the roof damage
Ron what happened

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and PM's. This was a very serious accident as you can see.

We, me and my 10 year old daughter went to the football game Sunday hopefully to see Payton Manning break a record. It was not meant to be on this beautiful Sunday evening. As normal, the day started out just perfect. Weather was gorgeous in Houston. Nice and sunny. Cleaned the truck up real nice Sunday morning, not a spot on her. Full tank of gas, a great CD in the box and off we go. On the way home, at exactly 3:12PM est, I am going on loop 610 to take 45S. The traffic was backed up a long ways so I left the right lane and moved over 1 lane left. I am going about 50mph at this point. A green vehicle that I beleived to be a van, but was later told it was a pick-up came out of the dead stopped right lane over into my lane about half way. Well I almost clipped it and swerved hard left to avoid it. Then tried to correct it by turning the wheel right. Then she went left again and then right then left. She was swaying on her own and I could not hold her steady. I clipped a vehicle on my left that was in the center lane. This caused my rear to come around and drove me straight towards the guard rail, which is back to the right lane that is stopped. I see we are headed straight for a Camry. I nailed that vehicle in the rear and this flipped us. I guess at that time my air bags have deployed. I now can't see anything. Glass is all over me and all I can do and think about now is my daughter. We are now sliding upside down, going pretty fast, guess it was all the wax on her. I look at my daughter and just tell her, hold on baby. We will stop soon. We then hit another vehicle and knock it hard into the guard rail. We are pinned against the 3rd car now in the freeway upside down. BOTH of us had our seat belts on. I could not undo mine nor could my daughter undo hers. People are rushing to us now. I am dazed as hell and I can hear my daughter screaming. I call to her but cannot reach her. She responds, I'm OK Daddy. Those were the best words I could hear. Well the dash has me pinned in. I cannot get out. Paramedics are coming. People get her out right away, but I cannot move. My shoulder is smashed up against the roof and door of the truck and my left leg is hung up under the dash. My vehicle is smoking and the stereo is still on. I finally free my seat belt and with the help of many, start trying to wiggle free out the window. I finally make it, shook up to say the least. 3 ambulance arrive with a fire truck and a hundred police officers. I can barely see as the impact was so hard that it knocked my glasses off my face and threw them out the window, only God knows where. If not for the seat belts gang, I would have been with those glasses and not writing this now.

I will more than likely sell everything left. Nothing on the outside of the Explorer is good except for the tires and wheels. No body part is untouched. All of the interior is good. Leather seats and new carpet and untouched. Stereo rode out like a champ, staying in place even while upside down. I went this morning with my wife and we paid the storage fee and wrecker fees and had it picked up and brought to my house immediately and stored in my garage. All the glass is busted out except for 1 passenger side rear quarter panel. A neighbor is coming over this weekend and taking the mags and tires off for me and putting back the factory tear drops.

Of course I got the ticket for this. Failure to maintain a safe speed or something like that. My neck, back, left leg, left knee, and my left shoulder are killing me right now. My right hand had a gash in it that you could stick a pencil in and not touch anything. But I didn't get a drop of blood inside the vehicle, LOL. Door panels are OK from what I can see. I just can't leave those Boston ZR6's in them for someone to pick and grab. Time to go and lay back down. Someone took pictures of the accident scene and as soon as I get those from them, I will post them for ya'll. It was unbelievable guys. I could NOT hold the steering wheel straight. I knew we were going to flip before we did. I just felt it coming.

It's good to still be here. I am at home and on bed rest. But hurt so bad, I have to walk around some to try and stay loose.

Once again, thanks everyone for your well wishes. I have tears in my eyes while I am writing this. That was the most emotional accident that I have ever been in. Almost everyone I hit went to the hospital except for the first car that got clipped.

rfuree11 said:
i dont know, there are some signs of a photoshop (maybe its just me in denial and im def. gonna feel like an ass if im wrong), if it was a PS, it's a really good one....please come back here and tell me it isnt true, pleeeeeeeeeeeease....your truck was beautiful...either way, its great to see you are okay. thats whats really important
This is not a joke man. This is real life. I don't know what you see other than someone with tears in there eyes and hurting like hell trying to take a picture. Would you like for me to walk outside right now and take another picture of the truck for you in the garage?

no no no, im real sorry, the second pic threw me off, teh way the tire was. i feel like an ####### now...that really sucks, at least everyone os ok for the most part.

I dont know what to say Ronnie. I am glad you and your daughter are safe.

Let me know if I can do anything for you as I am just 4 hours away.

damn man that sucks...but its good that u and your daughter r still here today.

My heart sank when I saw the title of this thread and who wrote it.
I found comfort in the fact you wrote it so I knew you were okay.
The pictures made my stomach turn.
The story had me in tears.
I am thankful you and your daughter are okay. I am sure we all would sacrafice a truck over a loved one any day of the week.

I mourn for your truck but rejoyce in you and your daughters well being.
Get some sleep man, we will be here for you.

Trckmagik said:
I dont know what to say Ronnie. I am glad you and your daughter are safe.

My thoughts exactly. I'm still a little speechless! This place is like a family and you never think something like this will happen to somebody you know, even if I don't really know you. Get well soon!

If I am gonna take any thing home from this thread, it is to evaluate my own driving habits.

Oh my gosh!! That sucks, Ronnie. I'm extremely sorry about your truck. Glad everyone is alive and well. It was problems with your installer and now this. I guess you two are not meant to be. LOL. But seriously, I'm sorry about your truck and everyone is ok. That's the most important.

wow.... just wow. im glad that you came and your daughter came out of that in "relatively" good condition.

i know the feeling man. i almost lost it once during my commute to school when someone did the same thing. still dont know how i got it under control with my lift & all.

rest up dude- i hope you heal up nice and quick ;)

MONMIX said:
If I am gonna take any thing home from this thread, it is to evaluate my own driving habits.

sometimes its not you.. i was doing 45 in a 65 and someone waited till i was 15 feet behind them to shoot over into my lane- luckily there was a grass median and not a barrier.. i swerved onto that and fishtailed for what seemed to be an eternity before somehow getting it back.

if you're gonna take any thing home from this thread, it is to wear your belt.

Wow. Glad to see you were so lucky to make it out of that one! Hope everything works out good in the end for you.

A prayer and a tip o' the glass to you and your family.
at least everyone is alive and has everything accounted for.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sk1er17 said:
if you're gonna take any thing home from this thread, it is to wear your belt.

I'll echo that. BBQ said it himself, if it wasn't for his seatbelt, he would have been thrown from the vehicle, and would be in bad shape right now. I can't stress it enough, put on your seatbelt, and make sure everyone with you has theirs on too. Once they're in your car, they're your responsibility. I refuse to drive unless my passengers are all buckled up, and NEVER ride without my belt. I feel naked without it. Uncomfortable? Please. It's your life.

Thank God you and your daughter both wore yours, Ron. God bless, and hang in there.

..just goes to show that these rigs are pretty safe , to be alive after that is a good sign god is watching you and you are driving a pretty safe rig ....glad you are going to be o.k. ...also sorry for your loss....Ashley

lil too close to home

i drive on those same highways in houston over 100 miles per day.
im kinda suprised i didnt see the accident.
the amount of reckless driving i see on a daily basis makes me ill.
im nearly inspired to become a state trooper and ticket them all.
if you havent driven in houston before, you might not understand what im talking about.
if you havent, consider yourself lucky as ive never seen worse drivers.
its not that all houstonians are bad drivers, its the fact that a few are either kamikaze's or suicidal in their driving manner. which is proven in this thread by a green vehicle pulling in front of an explorer going 50mph.

lesson: always buckle up, and dont drive in houston.
if you must drive in houston(me) learn to keep an eye on every vehicle 360 degrees around you...so sorry bbq, it was an awesome vehicle.

BBQ - Glad to hear you're still alive. I'm pissed that YOU let this beautiful explorer go boom!!! :p Your accident happend almost exactly 1 month after mine... Nov 13 to yours Dec 12. Fate?

Atleast now we can be in the 'f*cked up explorer' club together... but you're president. Although you REALLY messed yours up... mine was just a little fender bender compared to yours.

Also, I think the driver's side rear passenger door might be in ok shape =) Did you have the EE sway bars on?

Anyways - We're going to have to go shopping in the next couple weeks for new explorers... I'll drive - no wait you... errr.... maybe we should just call a cab? :D

Damn, all the nice ones are dropping like flies lately. Glad to know that you and your daughter were unwanted on that day and you get to stay with us a little longer. Rest up and feel better.

Oh man. I was hoping those photos were some kind of bad Photoshop joke. Just glad you're OK.

Hang in there.

Back