They Do Roll!! I Don't Know How I Survived... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

They Do Roll!! I Don't Know How I Survived...

I am home now from the hospital. Not doing too well. This was terrible. Took a quick minute to post these. Will explain more of this terrible accident later.

21512DSC00167.JPG

21512DSC00168.JPG

21512DSC00169.JPG

21512DSC00170.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

slugmike said:
that's crazy man - glad you're ok. truck is a goner for sure =(
is that someone else's front bumper struck on the front of the X?
I seen that too. I know the EE airdam "was" there. I will go out and look and take a better picture of it and see what that is. Everyone and there insurance agents are calling now. Can't rest, but won't give them a statement either. They should be a member here and come and read it, LOL.

Wanted, driver. Take me around Houston car shopping. Must have rollover experience. Smokers OK. Seatbelts a must.

BTW. Why was this post moved? This is NOT offroad whoops type of an accident. This forum is for 4 wheelers who get caught with there hand in the cookie jar.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

im glad u are ok i've lived in houston for 4 years and yeah ppl drive crazy, dont worry bout the car there is a million more out there!! just be glad god got you outta this one...... i have a 11 year old sister and man..... im just glad every1 made it out alive... im sure u will find a nice x houston is full of em god luck!!!

Wow glad you are ok. I forget to put my seatbelt on sometimes and this will make me remember. I think I'm going to turn my seatbelt warning sound back on tonight.

Again, terrible...

Your X was just beautiful.

Glad you and your daughter are "okay".

Good luck man...

Bummer and my condolences about the X. Stoked everyone is ok!

Woooooow I am so sorry to see this happen to you and your daughter, and I know you put so much work in that truck, I hate to see you lose it. A lesson I had to learn the hard way though, is that it is just a truck, and no matter how much work/time/effort you put into it, at the end of the day, it is still just a truck that can be taken from you, that can be destroyed, and that in the grand scheme of things, has very VERY little value. I am so glad to see that you and your daughter are doing fine, that is one of those accident's where you really can't expect to walk away but thank your lucky stars when you do. On the positive side, all the work you put into your truck probably helped that much more in keeping things controlled long enough to help some, who knows how bad off you could have been if this was a stock explorer. You'll recover and although you won't still have the explorer, you'll have your daughter and your life, and thats all that really matters.

I don't understand why you are getting pinned by insurance persons if somebody pulled in front/side of you and caused you to clip them. You should find the police reports and make sure you have the name/number of everyone that saw that person do that.

Spas said:
Did you ever notice any play in your power steering rack? I've heard that the teeth/grooves can give out when subjected to extreme force, which leads to rollovers in some instances. I ask because Blackjack's done to me (twice now!) what you and Sk1er described... it's almost impossible to get the steering wheel back under control at that point, you just hang on and hope for the best :eek: My first time was a grassy median, the second time a jersey wall stopped me from flipping. I wonder if maybe there's more to the firestone incidents than Ford was letting on....? Or is it just me being paranoid?
Spas, I have had the same thing happen while driving the suburban, and once when I had the Mercedes out on a track... with the suburban the rear end started swinging from hydroplaning, and then out on the left side it got traction and pulled the front end left, which jacked the wheel out of my hands, which turned the wheels to the lock to the right, etc which started a cycle of the suburban swerving at about 45mph. I had to let go and right after the wheels spun to the lock again, grab the wheel, brake, and correct the wheel as best I could with a very tight grip. With the benz, I was on dry ground, but the backend was out to my right, and with a little too much skinny pedal it came back around left, which again pulled the front end too much, but in the benz I was not having trouble keeping hold of the wheel, it was just a matter of fighting the pavement pulling the tires in the direction they shouldn't be going, if that makes any sense. I was, thank God, never in a situation where something similar happened in the explorer, but in the suburban I was lucky I didn't flip and that the highway was COVERED in water which kept traction down as I was going sideways a bit, and in the benz, things of course felt controlled enough that it was not worrysome, especially on an empty track. In an explorer though, I can imagine it would be almost impossible to regain control, especially on dry ground... is this what you experienced?

:(

WoW!!!!!!! So sorry for your loss she was a sweet ride but thank god everyone walked away alive....banged up all to hell but still alive! Cars can be bought, sold, wreaked and rebuilt but life is so much more fragile and important.

Sorry to hear about that man, glad to see your both ok, Gd Lck ;)

Just posting to say I'm glad you and your daughter survived. Seems like the explorer did a good job of protecting you and your little girl, thank God.

I am very familiar with that area, have a good friend that lives off T.C. Jester and 610. The traffic gets backed up there often and people get impatient and make bad decisions. Good luck with recovery, both physically and emotionally.. Also good luck with insurance and dealing with finding a replacement.

Somehow this just doesn't seem the time, place or post to ask about buying parts.

so sorry to hear about your truck :( i dont want to sound like a broken record but i really am glad that yall are doing ok. well i know you got messed up from the wreck but youre alive and things will get better. good luck, let me know if theres anything i can do for you. i think i speak for all of explorerforum when i say that.

i am glad you and your daughter are ok.

i know you had a hard time getting the truck perfect, and now it is heartbreaking to see, let alone hear about this happening.

i'm very glad y'all are ok.

glad to hear everyone is alright ! just keep takeing it easy and i`ll drink one here at home for ya !! reading this has really made me think about how i drive my exp , i think i get a little too comfortable behind the wheel, especially on longer trips ,and i kinda "forget" that im driveing a beast that weighs what , over 5000 pounds ? and i know it wont handle close situations like my `85 Z-28 will , and i found out first hand that it wont stop on a dime either. but after reading about your experiance i realized i have seen close calls that could of been the one for me, especially the times i was on i-95 & i-40 that would of put me in your shoes at the time, and i just brushed them off as "lucky me" ,,,,,, well now im thinking ,,, this may sound stupid on my part but ,,,maybe we could get together some input from everyone on this site and come up with a few ideas on how to make our explorer`s handle a little safer, like some driveing tips or a check list maybe or a suspension upgrade list for safety, what to look for ,what works and what doesnt, what it looks like when its good or bad , you know,stuff like that,, and post it under its own heading for everyone to see and use, so that the next guy who cuts you off wont completely have the the upper hand over ya when its panic time ..

Wow, I am sorry about the loss of your truck, but all that matters is that you and you're daughter made it out ok. I had tears in my eyes while reading your story.

Best of luck to a great recovery :)

very sad to hear, makes me angry for people who can pull out in front/side of u like that and get away scotch free...it can be remade though, even better then before, all that matters if u and ur daughter are ok

Hey man... I was re-reading the msg you sent me and you sound kinda down. I can understand why you're upset (way more $$$ into yours then into mine) - but you gotta realize - **** HAPPENS. I'm barely 20 and I've begun to realize this. I cried when my explorer got in an accident - but I realized it was almost for the best. I'm going to save up money and buy a 98 v8 ltd - which is a billion and a half times better (yes - I did the math - dont question it). You gotta think about it this way - now you can sue the guy for some good cash and buy a corvette to attract all the hotties. (yea - youre' married - blahblahblah I Don't wanna hear it). What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What kills your car, buys you a NEW car. Remember that =)

puddle jumper said:
and i know it wont handle close situations like my `85 Z-28 will , and i found out first hand that it wont stop on a dime either. but after reading about your experiance i realized i have seen close calls that could of been the one for me, especially the times i was on i-95 & i-40 that would of put me in your shoes at the time, and i just brushed them off as "lucky me" ,,,,,, well now im thinking ,,, this may sound stupid on my part but ,,,maybe we could get together some input from everyone on this site and come up with a few ideas on how to make our explorer`s handle a little safer, like some driveing tips or a check list maybe or a suspension upgrade list for safety, what to look for ,what works and what doesnt, what it looks like when its good or bad , you know,stuff like that,, and post it under its own heading for everyone to see and use, so that the next guy who cuts you off wont completely have the the upper hand over ya when its panic time ..
Even the best handling vehicle can be pulled out in front of. Ronnies truck had upgraded suspension, and his accident still happened. Some things can't be avoided. It is a heavy vehicle( 4200-4600#) and isn't meant to handle like a sports car, just like a sportscar isn't meant to go through deep snow. His Explorer did it's ultimate job. After a multiple collision accident the passanger cabin stayed together, and nobody was killed. It's just a shame it had to happen to such a stand up guy, and ruin something that he had worked very hard for, and more than paid his dues.

Back