Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Things that help fuel economy and performance.

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by FarmageddonNRO, October 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FarmageddonNRO

FarmageddonNRO Member

City, State:
      Anaconda MT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 Ford Explorer XL
      I haven't been on here in awhile, but wanted to share this with you stock guys. I started using Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant about 3 years ago, I add like 4-6 ounces in my fuel every time I fill the tank, and I have to say that this stuff works. After using it for like 6 weeks I started noticing that my Ex was running a little better and a little smoother. Lucas oil products are always a good choice. I regularly try to use at least the mid-range gas, and I know that helps a bit as well. I also changed my fuel pressure regulator, after 140k its a great idea to do this, as well as remembering to change you fuel filter. I clean my engine with Bg 44k fuel system cleaner once a year as well, it is great stuff, cleaning deposits off from bad gas. I run NGK Iridium spark plugs and wires, added on a cold air intake, and clean my MAF sensor once a year. I also upgraded my 02 sensors to the NGK brand. I have done a ton of maintenance on this Ex over the years, upgraded exhaust, I threw on a Magnaflow Muffler and Flowmaster Cat. I threw some slotted rotors on the front, had my driveshaft balanced, swapped out the U-Joints to the Spicer brand, and added converted my auto hubs to Superwinch manual hubs, which are very durable, there is a set that fit 1st gen explorers that may not be easily found online. As far as oil changes, I use K&N oil filters, they are super nice because they have a nut welded onto the bottom so changing your oil just became easier. One thing that is up in the air is changing tranny fluid, but I did it and it did help ease the shifting after. Maintaining a healthy Ex is not that hard, and in the long run, it will save you money, especially if you put a lot of miles on. I have almost 300k on my Ex right now, and I would like to think it has a lot to do with the things I detailed above. Feel free to share things that have helped you out in the fuel economy and performance department. I will update this thread if I can think of other things that have helped.

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2stroke

2stroke Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Annandale, MN
      1993 Ford Explorer Sport
      I just want to point out, the timing is not self adjusting on these. It's more or less a set advance. They are so basic, there is not even a knock sensor. I do a lot of short trips, and low rpm crawling, which builds up carbon in the engine. For this reason, mine pings with 87 octane, so I run 89 most of the time or 91 towing. You will not see any fuel mileage increase. A light and steady foot will increase fuel mileage more than anything.

4. fastpakr

fastpakr Member

City, State:
      Roanoke, VA
      94 Sport
      Eh? The timing is constantly adjusting.

5. 2stroke

2stroke Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Annandale, MN
      1993 Ford Explorer Sport
      Based on the crank sensor, it is constantly adjusting timing. It will not, however, increase advance because you are using a higher octane gasoline.

6. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      93 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      I found the 2 best things are to make sure your maintenance is up to date & slow down. It's just not built for fuel economy.

7. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      You haven't seen Al Franklin's "My Quest For 30" thread, have you?