• Register Today It's free!

Thinking V8 Time

All out

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Lauderdale, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport trac
i am thinking about taking a 302 making it a 347 and use a stand alone fuel injection kit. Any tdirections from you all who have going v8 not exactly working on a budget want to have something fun but don't want to go to crazy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just used a stock 302 running on the explorer PCM. It was stupid simple to get working that way. Now that it's driving I want to start prepping another block with some performance parts and swap them later.

Get it stock v8 swapped and running so you can work out any bugs with minimal variables. Then go from there. Unless your building a track truck I'd advise keeping it near stock displacement and using boost for any extra power desired. Most 347 builds on here turned into headaches and use up piles of cash for only 40-50 hp improvement over stock.

Get it stock v8 swapped and running so you can work out any bugs with minimal variables. Then go from there. Unless your building a track truck I'd advise keeping it near stock displacement and using boost for any extra power desired. Most 347 builds on here turned into headaches and use up piles of cash for only 40-50 hp improvement over stock.

^^^this. even boosting is a little effy. nothing out there for our trucks, so you would end up making your own which is a new can of worms. that and the other problem is nobody make a good header for these trucks. TMH's are the only thing, and they are tiny. im not saying dont do what you have in mind, but is it really worth it in the end? your also going to take most of the reliability away as well, so if you only plain on driving it maybe on the weekends, your going to also be fixing a lot of things the more you drive it.
i will argue against the 40-50 hp gain however, but it is a lot of work and maintenance doing a stroker in these trucks

I'd go with a 331 if you are insistent on stroking as they don't have the oil burning issues of the 347s.

Keeping an eye on this , and looking for other 01 trac V8 swap info

i will argue against the 40-50 hp gain however, but it is a lot of work and maintenance doing a stroker in these trucks

The only way I'd think you will get more than 40-50 hp is with upgraded headers and intake manifold at least. I feel with boost the factory manifolds can be retained for for up to an 80-100 hp gain depending on setup.

Also high rpm hp doesn't help move a heavy suv, low end torque is what you really want. I feel in the end unless you already have boost, stroking the motor isn't worth it. That is if you already have a running 302, if you don't and a buddy has a built 347 for sale then that's a whole different situation lol.

My ranger has plenty of power for what it is and is a blast to drive. I'm running upgraded valvetrain with a .512 lift cam, FMS headers and a ported intake. I feel if I take it any farther I will loose reliability. My truck has not been on the dyno but will be spring time. I assume I'm around 220hp/250tq at the wheels now. I've put about 8k miles since the cam swap and no issues other than getting pushrod length right at first. My motor doesn't tick(after a small pushrod saga) or burn oil and it has 190k on it and the last 20k has been HARD.

The 4406 swap is a great start to power mods. :)

It lets the torque shine through. One wheel peels are my life now.

Overall it's still pretty slow, even with a full header back exhaust. I get smoked by my stock 3v explorer.

Mine is 2wd and ready to make it fun

The only way I'd think you will get more than 40-50 hp is with upgraded headers and intake manifold at least. I feel with boost the factory manifolds can be retained for for up to an 80-100 hp gain depending on setup.

Also high rpm hp doesn't help move a heavy suv, low end torque is what you really want. I feel in the end unless you already have boost, stroking the motor isn't worth it. That is if you already have a running 302, if you don't and a buddy has a built 347 for sale then that's a whole different situation lol.

My ranger has plenty of power for what it is and is a blast to drive. I'm running upgraded valvetrain with a .512 lift cam, FMS headers and a ported intake. I feel if I take it any farther I will loose reliability. My truck has not been on the dyno but will be spring time. I assume I'm around 220hp/250tq at the wheels now. I've put about 8k miles since the cam swap and no issues other than getting pushrod length right at first. My motor doesn't tick(after a small pushrod saga) or burn oil and it has 190k on it and the last 20k has been HARD.

i have a feeling both you and i will be going back and fourth on this lol, but hey its our opinions right?
i do agree on something with you however. if you have a running 302, and can somehow make it forced induction, then sure. there is nothing wrong with that. it will keep you amused for awhile. mine did. when i did my v8 swap it was fun for the first bit. then i started thinking supercharger. i did get a hold of a used ee m90 kit. the motor had a stock foxbody cam in it, home ported heads and intake, tmh's blah blah blah. i then made mounts for a m112 (ironically with the help of the guy i bought the m90 from). that was on there for a couple of months with i stumbled across a member here who wanted to sell his truck that had a 347 in it. bought the truck for less then what it would have cost to build a 347, yanked the 302 and in it went with the m112. there was a major difference in power. big time difference (like 10mph and 2 full seconds in the 1/4). ive have had my ups and downs with it, but it is wild to drive and most people would never expect a 20 year old soccer mom suv to do what it will do.
also i should also say, when i think stroker, i for what ever reason think 347. not 331 or any of the other kits that are out there. i also naturally assume if someone is doing a stroker alum heads will be plopped on it, and a cam would be in it. otherwise yes, your not going to gain a whole lot doing a stroker and keeping the top end stock

i have a feeling both you and i will be going back and fourth on this lol, but hey its our opinions right?

Oh no, you have waaay more experience with the 347 in the explorer than me. I think the thing is that people forget they need aluminum heads, intake manifold, headers ect. and all they see is summit has a 347 kit for $899. Then you have machine time and have to buy all those parts listed just to get the motor to achieve the advertised power. $6-8k later you can hit the key.

Of course if you buy the motor already built at a good price or get good deals on all the parts to complete the build you can save a bunch but you still have to look to find the deals which can take some time.

To the OP: Is your truck manual or auto? Plan for transmission?

If I were jumping in to this with a good motor, I'd probably leave stock displacement but change the heads and intake. This is still far more customizing than anyone would think, but the heads would flow way better, giving way more power.

With all the misery I have had, the turbo setup has been rock solid. No issues at all. I also noticed a massive gain when I went 347, but I really believe it has more to do with the aluminum heads flowing much better. I'd guess that the 347 helps with the low end torque that would otherwise be missing with the high flow heads though.

With my setup, the power is just 'ok' down low at part throttle. Once 3000 rpm hits with a heavy foot, hang on to your shorts.

I'd actually love to see what a big headed stock cam 302 would do in our trucks. I think it would do pretty good. The stock cam would probably help with keeping that torque down low.

It lets the torque shine through. One wheel peels are my life now.

Overall it's still pretty slow, even with a full header back exhaust. I get smoked by my stock 3v explorer.

06+ 3v has 300hp stock with 6 speed auto, your 302 is only rated at 220hp and you have to shift gears. The 3v won the race before it started.

Ps: 3v 4.6 is my next swap (I have a wrecked 07 EB at my shop)

I think the thing is that people forget they need aluminum heads, intake manifold, headers ect. and all they see is summit has a 347 kit for $899. Then you have machine time and have to buy all those parts listed just to get the motor to achieve the advertised power. $6-8k later you can hit the key.
Of course if you buy the motor already built at a good price or get good deals on all the parts to complete the build you can save a bunch but you still have to look to find the deals which can take some time.

Exactly. Why go through all that trouble when you can buy a running car with it already done for cheaper?

1991 FORD MUSTANG FOX BODY 347 STROKER BUILD

Swap the motors around and put the stang back on craigslist for $5000.

OR, just keep the stang for your speed itch and use the Ex for grocery getting and playing in the dirt. You'd still be way ahead money wise and would also save you a year or two of banging your head against a wall.

there is only one problem with buying something like that.
used.
you dont know if its been beatin on within inches of its own death.
you dont know how its been built, or if it really is what the guy is telling you
you dont know the true mileage of it (bearing gone, valve guides gone)
you dont know if the guy who's selling it has also dumped major thick oil into it to stop it from knocking or ticking while your looking at it.
there are plus things, and there are also minus things about buying a used street hot rod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUT!

You do have all the parts you need and you can rebuild it cheaper than buying all new if you were to turn around and flip the stang

Back