• Register Today It's free!

Third Gen w/ Manual Trans

DVRDOWN

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT Flex Fuel 4x4
Does anyone have a third gen X w/ a manual trans? I've read that Ford offered the M5OD in the 4 door 2002 explorers, but for the life of me i cannot find one out there with it! I'm looking for pictures of the interior with a manual, thoughts on the M5OD etc. I'd love to have a manual in my 2002 XLT 4.0 when my 5r55w dies out. I've got over 115k on the stocker so i'm sure its not too far off. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the m5od was available in the 2002 XLS only. Someone on here has one and they posted a pic of it. The shifter is in the center console in place of the little bin area in front of the cup holders.

here you go.
DSCN2865.jpg

duuuude, how do you survive with no CD player?!

back in like august or september there was a manual 3rd gen for sale in the next town over. It was really cheap too, less than $3500, with semi low miles. Thinking back that was probably a great deal.

back in like august or september there was a manual 3rd gen for sale in the next town over. It was really cheap too, less than $3500, with semi low miles. Thinking back that was probably a great deal.

Their book value is around the $2500 mark so the person was probably basing the price on the book value, however someone who is specifically looking for a manual Explorer might pay more, but no bank will loan more than the book value :)

I have a cassette adpater for an Ipod. Who uses CDs? lol

Their book value is around the $2500 mark so the person was probably basing the price on the book value, however someone who is specifically looking for a manual Explorer might pay more, but no bank will loan more than the book value :)

It was a private seller and there would have been no loans anyway. I just think it may have been cool to own this one since its on the rare side.

It was a private seller and there would have been no loans anyway. I just think it may have been cool to own this one since its on the rare side.

I guess if someone really had their heart set on one, they could go to a national car classifieds site like cars.com or autotrader.com

I looked for all the '02 Sports with manual transmissions listed on cars.com and came across about 8 located within 500 miles from me, so they are around. The manual transmission was 'standard', not optional. However obviously a limited amount of 5 speeds were made.

I didn't check Auto Trader, but I'm guessing the results would be similar in finding one....there would be a small handful for sale within a days drive from me to choose from, ranging from $2000 - $8000 from what I saw!

I didn't check Auto Trader, but I'm guessing the results would be similar in finding one....there would be a small handful for sale within a days drive from me to choose from, ranging from $2000 - $8000 from what I saw!

Not a chance on finding a 2002 4door with a manual that easy. Finding a first or second gen 4dr or 2dr Sport with a manual is a breeze compared to a 4dr 2002 with a manual.

Not a chance on finding a 2002 4door with a manual that easy. Finding a first or second gen 4dr or 2dr Sport with a manual is a breeze compared to a 4dr 2002 with a manual.

I beg to differ....20 seconds of searching on Autotrader.com yielded results:

#1 2002 4 door manual

#2 Lifted 2002 4 door manual

#3 2002 4 door manual

#4 2002 4 door manual

#5 2002 4 door manual

There are more, but those above have clear pictures showing the 5 speed in the console. There were about 20 4 doors that popped up advertising the 5 speed manuals, but 15 didn't have photos.

So how many you guessing are out there?

The lifted one I found (#2 above) was a surprise. Had to press the 2nd page arrow on the pictures to see the 5 speed, too bad it's not 4x4 though, but I wonder what lift it has on it? I see a body lift present....but has to have a spacer lift or something. 1st lifted 3rd gen with a 5 speed I've seen. :thumbsup:

I beg to differ....20 seconds of searching on Autotrader.com yielded results:

You got lucky. :D I've never had that good of luck finding them. You caught it at a good time. I'm glad you only posted the ones with pictures that show it, because one thing I did find is that many, many of them are labeled as manuals but when you actually contact the seller they are not. I would venture to say that most of the other 15 that did not have pictures actually aren't manuals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, you know what, it's because you did a nationwide search. Whenever I was searching it was within 500 miles or so of where I live.

Back