Third Gen w/ Manual Trans | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Third Gen w/ Manual Trans

I was gonna lift my rig but i want a winch first. Decided not to sell it anymore cause i'm gonna need a car thats paid off when i'm in the marines. and its pretty dang rare too. lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL I still keep going back to that 2nd one I posted, with the lift and the offroad tires. It looks really good, just the 2wd aspect and the $10k+ price is a turnoff :thumbdwn:

Yep, the nationwide search turns up a bunch, and if you were looking for a rare vehicle you'd probably have no issue buying a vehicle a couple thousand miles away, considering you can have a SUV shipped across country via 18-wheeler for about $700.

The 4 door 2002 Explorer is just as rare as the 2 door...remember, the 5 speed manual was "standard" in 2002 no matter if it was a 2 door or a 4 door, the automatic was always "optional", the dealer charged an extra $895 for automatic in that year. Albeit there probably weren't as many 2002 4 door manuals as automatics just because most people wanted the auto, but for those working on a budget, a 5 speed manual was a cheaper option. As it stands, there is likely a market for them from enthusiasts who understand that there aren't as many around as there are automatics, as well as a market for people wanting an SUV with a 5 speed because it may be cheaper, and certainly better on gas mileage than an automatic.

Are they really "rare"? Well, in my opinion not really. They are still a fairly new vehicle, and as time passes and more and more end up off the road (ie scrapyard or pressed into tuna cans), then they may become more rare....but to be able to turn up a handful in a nationwide search isn't what I would really call "rare" in a car sense.

Are they a cool thing to own. Definitely. I'd much rather have a manual tranny in mine. Not only because I just prefer driving a stick, but also because it would keep the wife out of the driver's seat :thumbsup:

lol. Wife driving= bad times.

The 4 door 2002 Explorer is just as rare as the 2 door...remember, the 5 speed manual was "standard" in 2002 no matter if it was a 2 door or a 4 door, the automatic was always "optional", the dealer charged an extra $895 for automatic in that year. Albeit there probably weren't as many 2002 4 door manuals as automatics just because most people wanted the auto, but for those working on a budget, a 5 speed manual was a cheaper option. As it stands, there is likely a market for them from enthusiasts who understand that there aren't as many around as there are automatics, as well as a market for people wanting an SUV with a 5 speed because it may be cheaper, and certainly better on gas mileage than an automatic.

Are they really "rare"? Well, in my opinion not really. They are still a fairly new vehicle, and as time passes and more and more end up off the road (ie scrapyard or pressed into tuna cans), then they may become more rare....but to be able to turn up a handful in a nationwide search isn't what I would really call "rare" in a car sense.

Are they a cool thing to own. Definitely. I'd much rather have a manual tranny in mine. Not only because I just prefer driving a stick, but also because it would keep the wife out of the driver's seat :thumbsup:

They are more rare than 2drs with manuals. The Sports are Sporty so more people wanted them with manuals. Even though it was standard equipment there were not many made with a manual. They didn't still offer them really because people wanted them but more to satisfy fleet mileage standards. Most Ford salesman did not then nor now even know they existed. At the time when the 2002s came out and the manual option was listed on the Ford website I talked to a couple salesman asking when the Manuals were going to be released (they were released later in 2002) and they both said you could not get them with manuals. But salesman are pretty clueless these days.

i ran into an 01 sport 5 spd a while back. almost got it but i wanted something bigger.

That is the second 4WD manual trans I've found.

I own a 2002 ford explorer 4 doors stick shift for sale. 80,000 miles. I'm from Passaic NJ. #201 598 2748 text me and i can send u pictures.

Here's mine from Australia. 4wd too. No rwd were shipped here
I WANT THAT CENTER CONSOLE PARKING BRAKE!!!!! all caps is not accidental, I'm actually that excited. And serious. If you can get ahold of that console with the Manual trans, and the PB lever, let me know the cost.

It wouldn't work for you as your car is left hand drive
What does that have to do with it? It should be just re-routing the cable from the pedal area up to the center console.

That would just have me reaching across the console for my handbrake, which is the same configuration as half of the other cars I've driven.

Back