This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't get anything done on the truck this weekend since I had my nephew's college graduation to go to then of course today being Mother's day, we did the lunch and movie thing.
Last time I got to work on the truck was last Thurs. and nearly finished all the welding. Just have a few gussets to zap in then I can paint everything up and put it together :D
I figure the coilovers will take some time to dial in as far as setting the ride height, I wanted to drop the frontend an inch or even two inches if possible but engine crossmember to link bracket clearance is an issue so looks like i'm stuck with the same lift I had which is 8".
Temps are in triple digit range already so i'm kind of motivated to get this wrapped up...I don't like the thought of this project lingering on through the summer :rolleyes:

Guess we'll see what happens this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DB_1 said:
Temps are in triple digit range already so i'm kind of motivated to get this wrapped up...I don't like the thought of this project lingering on through the summer :rolleyes:

Guess we'll see what happens this week.

I hear you dave, the car I'm drivin does not have A/C, and even with the temps getting to the '80's now, it starting to get warm in the car. :( I want my truck back now, it has A/C ;)

Great work -- subscribing to keep track of all the good pics. I'm doing about the same deal on mine.

Steve,
If it would stay in the 80's here all summer, i'd be alright with that :D
My Ranger's A/C hasn't worked in awhile but once I get it driveable again i'm gonna take a look see and get it working, I'm hoping it just needs a recharge.

glfredrick,
Thanks and good luck with yours...got a build thread? i'll look for it if you do ;)

DB_1 said:
Steve,
If it would stay in the 80's here all summer, i'd be alright with that :D
My Ranger's A/C hasn't worked in awhile but once I get it driveable again i'm gonna take a look see and get it working, I'm hoping it just needs a recharge.

glfredrick,
Thanks and good luck with yours...got a build thread? i'll look for it if you do ;)

I've got one started, but not too much action yet. I've been swamped with school and work right now. Give me a week and the steel will start flying!

Aht the rush to get our AC equipped vehicles running :)

My BII (daily) has not had AC in like 8 years, since I rolled my Explorer last March that I only had for 2 months I have been working on this other 96 Ex project. it has AC and a sunroof! I will be friggin spoiled to drive this thing and the BII will finally be retired of DD duties....

Dave I say convert and charge that SOB yourself.

Jaime,
you ever charged and A/C system before...does it usually take a couple cans to do so or are there to many variables to say? The clutch on the compressor kicks in like its working when I turn on the A/C, there's just no cold air coming out.

Progress...just about got all the welding done, had a few nagging gussets to add on.

Primed everything that didn't need welding done to it.

I ordered some paint from Eastwood that is meant for cast parts and it's got a darkish grey look to it. Trying to go for something different other than just black so i'll see how it turns out.

I have charged AC's before yes, in gen I trucks. Converted them to R-134 then fill the system.
You have to jumper a wire to get the compressor to stay on with the low fluid level.
If memory serves some of them took 3 cans.

I believe photos are in order. :D

Jaime,
Is there a gauge you can buy or that comes with a kit that tells you how much refridgerant is needed...i'm totally clueless to A/C systems, I should go read my Haynes book :rolleyes:

section525 said:
I believe photos are in order. :D

I would but it would be like posting pics of stuff that i've already posted except that the links are primer grey :p
Next pics I post will be of this thing DONE!!

Dave, Glacier had a excellent thread on converting/recharging the AC. I think it's in the Useful Threads.

RangerX said:
Dave, Glacier had a excellent thread on converting/recharging the AC. I think it's in the Useful Threads.

Thanks Bill, I'll check it out :thumbsup:

Colin, Cleghorn sounds like fun but i'll do the testing locally first ;)

Progress report: Ok, all welding is finally finished and started grinding down some weld in preperation for paint. Hopefully I can get everything painted before noon tomorrow, I promised I'd make an appearance at a b-day party for my boss's daughter :rolleyes:
Paint should be nice and dry by Sun. then I can start bolting everything together :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OK, good news and bad news:

Good news is everything is painted and bolted in place and for the past couple of days i've been playing with the coilovers trying to get the ride height I want.

Bad news is that i MAY have to move the axle forward about an inch so that my link brackets don't hit the engine X-member on uptravel. I still need to do some tweaking on the C/O's to deal with that.

I did cycle the suspension with just the axle and the trac-bar bracket in place and it looks like potentially i'll have 5.5" of uptravel and 7.5" down so I wouldn't be using the full 14" of travel but I could live with that. The rubber rock bushings really start to bind when it's flexed up and i'm sure I could get a lot more flex with heims or J Joints all the way around but then i'd want longer C/O's to take advantage of the travel. I'm close enough to 14" of travel so i'm satisfied.

Today i'm just gonna fill the diff, mount the resi's to the engine brace then install the steering linkage and see what kind of travel #'s I get.
I know you guys are itching for pics and i'll get some up by the weekend.

Coilovers...what a pain :thumbdwn: I tried making several adjustments but couldn't seem to get the ride height I want so looks like I'll have to hack off the lower shock mounts and make taller ones. I'll be pushing the axle forward about an inch while i'm at it so everything rides in between the channel of the engine X-member. I'll report back with the progress and hopefully some pics :rolleyes:

I never did any of the math myself to figure out the rates needed but when I ordered the C/O's Brett over at King said he could get me close so I went with that.
No progress today since I had family over for a BBQ but tomorrow I'll see what I can get done.
Here's some pics, took them at dusk so they aren't the greatest.

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

That's what I'm talkin about. I'm diggin the steering. Looks beefy! :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DB_1 said:
I never did any of the math myself to figure out the rates needed but when I ordered the C/O's Brett over at King said he could get me close so I went with that.
If you've got the up and down travel that you want with the shock in place, but you can't get the ride height you want, then you need to change the spring rate. Don't move the shock to get your ride height and screw up your travel. (of course this is all assuming that your designed ride height vs up/down travel are all kosher)

Any ideas of what your spring #'s are currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back