This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
weld at night, no breaks given.
I recently installed a wall mount television in my house. I had to walk across the rafters in my attic about 50' to the other side, no man had ever walked there before.
It was WAY OVER 100 up there and I was up there for a good hour the first time and a good hour the second time as we ran cables.
You didnt hear my complainin!! hahaha It was all worth it when I got to sit down and watch HD on my new TV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
weld at night, no breaks given.

The problem is at 9pm it's still 100* outside, and at midnight...only 95* :eek:

Besides, it gives me time to get mine done, before he finishes and jumps on me about mine :D

yes see I knew you were just trying to come up with ways to delay him.
The Attic is always 100+ :)

Heh heh 410....yeah i've got a ton of stuff going on at home, got some new carpet installed in my room so that means I had to move everything out now i've got to move it all back in :rolleyes: THEN i'm moving my sister tomorrow but it should be pretty easy since she doesn't have a lot of big stuff. We're hittin' pretty early so we can beat the heat.

So, Sunday looks like i'll have time to get 'er rollin again...i'm dying to drive my truck again after 8 months!

you get Discovery HD theater? They've had some good off road stuff on there lately :thumbsup:

I got the shock tabs and gussets all welded up so tomorrow i'll give them the old rattle can paint job then install the coils, fill the shocks with nitrogen and adjust the links as necessary then it's time for a test drive!! :thumbsup: :D

Damn damn damn!

I was wrenching on my truck today when around 6pm my boss called and said he needed help moving some funiture for his wife's friend so like the good guy that I am, I said yes :rolleyes:. He's helped me out a number of times so it's kinda hard to say no.

Anywho, test drive will have to wait until tomorrow though. Just have a couple links to tighten up, fill the shocks, bla bla... ;)

Got 'er done!!!

Well, the truck out for it's maiden voyage and so far so good :thumbsup: No funky pops or creeking to speak of. Drove it up to speed (60 mph) and its tracks pretty good, I do have to adjust the drag link a bit but I knew it would be off a tad. Found some boulders over at the new shopping center near my house and couldn't resist a little tire planting. The rock was probably only knee high but I got my kicks for the day. I'm gonna need to grind one of my upper link tabs because it's hitting the track bar when it starts to stuff a tire.
Turning radius seems to better, takes a lot now for tires to rub on the links unlike before when the tires would rub like crazy on the radius arms.
As far as flex goes, I'm going to need a wheelin' trip to determine if my spring rates seem to work good or not. On the street the ride is pretty damn good.My truck still sits nose high but that's the way it has to be for clearance issues. I'll probably end up ordering some new leafs to get the ass end up to match to front ride height.

I still have a few odds and ends to wrap up...need a home for the battery, weld brake line tabs to frame and probably a few other things I can't think of :rolleyes:
I'll get some pics up this week :D

Sweet. :cool:

Ah O! I know what this means :rolleyes:

Good job Save, now let's see some pics :thumbsup:

Congrats Dave! Can't wait to see it.

Big Bear. ;)

Thanks guys,
A little fine tuning and i'm up for a wheelin' trip :thumbsup:

I haven't been motivated enough this week to work on my truck due to the heat but I'll tackle the little issues I have this weekend.
I bought some new J-hooks for the battery hold down which i'll mount behind the pass. seat. I also picked up a Contico plastic tuff box to store my tool bag and spare fluids which i'll put where my old diamond plate box was in the bed.

Another issue is my steering...although I did the tie rod flip I still don't have enough misalignment in the drag link to travel with rest of the suspension. I plan to run a spacer from the knuckle to the tie rod heim and then use high misalignment spacers on the drag link heims. That would reduce the bolts to 5/8" from the existing 3/4" bolts. Another option would be to weld a Poison Spyder steering block to the top of the tie rod and then the drag link connects to the block. I'm gonna try the first option and see if that will work...keep ya posted.

Not much progress on the steering situation, I did put in some hi-misalignment
spacers in the pass. side heim but the heim at the pitman is still maxing out so tomorrow i'm going to Kartek and get another set and some other misc. things I need.
After driving the truck around some more i'm thinking I can go a little softer on the spring rates but I'll hold off until I get a wheelin' trip under my belt with the way it is now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, sucks up the bumps better but the back end needs help now. I'd hit some speed bumps and the rear suspension is like a bucking bronco. I get some nice body lean now around corners but nothing real severe.

So I went to Kartek this morning and they had a sick new body style F-150 all tricked up like its ready to run the Baja 1000. 37" baja t/a's, King shocks...super clean, wish I had taken my camera with me.
Picked up my hi-misalignment spacers, a couple F911 grade bolts in the 5/8" variety, and some smaller hose clamps for my resi's. Got the new spacers and bolts installed and finally I think I can wheel this thing :D

Pics

New hardware:
img_0662.gif

Static ride height shot:
img_0660.gif

Close up of suspension at ride height:
img_0661.gif

Backyard flexin':
img_0664.gif

Heim almost maxed out:
img_0665.gif

Rear shot: