• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts btwn 2017 and 2018...

RN2003AZ

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Platinum
I was planning to potentially order a new 18 Platium in the beautiful Burgundy Velevt color with the addition of the second row bucket seats but a local dealer has a 17 Platium in Smoked Quartz with the buckets coming off the truck in about a week that I could get a fabulous deal on. Would it be worth waiting for the 18 or should I be inclined to take advantage of a great deal. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think this all depends on how you would feel driving a brand new 2017 when just a short time later the 2018's will be on the road and you begin to notice the subtle differences between years. That's when the decision you made will hit the hardest.

But if you previously made a decision to buy a year ender and it didn't bother you, then go for the 2017.

I think this all depends on how you would feel driving a brand new 2017 when just a short time later the 2018's will be on the road and you begin to notice the subtle differences between years. That's when the decision you made will hit the hardest.

But if you previously made a decision to buy a year ender and it didn't bother you, then go for the 2017.

We've purchased a year ended on a different vehicle before. Can you enlighten me on what those subtle differences are supposed to be on the Explorer? Thanks!

When I think about buying a new vehicle, I ask myself, "How long do I intend to keep this car or truck?"

If I'm buying with the intention to keep the vehicle for more than four or five years, I look for model-year-end clearance deals. If I intend to trade-up in two or three years, I buy as soon as the new-year models can be had.

I bought my 2016 Explorer in 2015 with the intention of trading it in two years. This year (2017), I will trade my 2016 and take delivery of a 2018 Explorer. My current 2016 is now two years old, but a used-car buyer may perceive it to be only a year old. It still has a year of factory warranty remaining, its mileage is reasonable at about 20,000, and it's in flawless condition. So, my Explorer's age, warranty, mileage, and condition mean decent trade-in value for me. Not to mention that used Explorers are in demand around here.

When I think about buying a new vehicle, I ask myself, "How long do I intend to keep this car or truck?"

If I'm buying with the intention to keep the vehicle for more than four or five years, I look for model-year-end clearance deals. If I intend to trade-up in two or three years, I buy as soon as the new-year models can be had.

I bought my 2016 Explorer in 2015 with the intention of trading it in two years. This year (2017), I will trade my 2016 and take delivery of a 2018 Explorer. My current 2016 is now two years old, but a used-car buyer may perceive it to be only a year old. It still has a year of factory warranty remaining, its mileage is reasonable at about 20,000, and it's in flawless condition. So, my Explorer's age, warranty, mileage, and condition mean decent trade-in value for me. Not to mention that used Explorers are in demand around here.

I wanted to trade my 16 Sport in too but I think Explorer depreciates quickly. I would guess that once I drove this beast off the lot I lost 5K, now two years later it easy looses another 5K each year. That's 15K or so difference depending on millage and condition. Dealerships will not give a good deal for 18XP for at least till November or December, at least 3 month later.

Let me know if you got a decent deal from your dealership and I might be willing to trade mine in too. I currently have 15K miles on my truck but I don't want to pay more then 10K difference.

Just to give you idea of depreciation. The MRSP shown on the Window Sticker of my Platinum was $62,039. At the end of the 4 year lease the residual value is shown as being $25,435.99. If the value at that time is more then I benefit but if it is less then Ford takes the loss. A depreciation of almost 59% in 4 years/

Peter

Is the 2018 getting the 10 speed?

Is the 2018 getting the 10 speed?
No. If you check the order guide you'll see that there is no change to the current transmission.

Peter

So I'm looking at trading my 13 XLT which we just paid off for this new vehicle. Mine currently has 56000 miles and was trade valued for $17-18k. The 17 I'm looking at has a sticker of almost $56k and I would be paying around $50k with incentives and 0% interest for 5 years. We have no idea the incentives on the 18 yet with the same sticker price. The only difference in the vehicles would be color. Decisions, decisions!

For an 18 figure $500 up to $1000 in rebates max.

Unless you care about FordPass, and maybe the LED high beams and a couple of wheel choices, the 2018 is a very, extremely, utterly modest upgrade to the 2017.

If you're after a big rebate now, 2017 is the way to go with minimal feature loss from 2018. There are no powertrain differences, sadly. I was hoping it would at least get start/stop technology.

Back