and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Threads We'd Like To See

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by Glacier991, February 2, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      While I am already well backlogged on some of my project threads, you may have thread ideas you'd like to see that could spur others to start doing photo threads.... this thread is where you can post your wish list....

remember, a picture IS worth a thousand words, so consider doing one yourself.... no project is too small. The knowledge base here is from newbie to ASE certified mechanic.... so there wil always be SOME audience!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      BW 1354 DOUBLER install :) hahahaha
      I know about 4 members who have been sitting on one of these T cases for about/more then a year now. RangerX may be the first to get his installed :)

4. karl_burns

karl_burns Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winston Salem, NC - Go Deacs!
      Year and Model:
      98 Sport OHV 5speed
      Freaking Fuel Filter! I've wresteled with mine TWICE for an hour each and can't get the bugger off! Even went inside and ate some spinach between sessions!

Karl

5. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      how about this: Axle 101

Guess what... Lots of pictures ;)

-Drew

6. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      Ya know I need to replace my fuel filter... maybe I'll see if I can get it off and do a thread. On a serious note - if you will permit me....guys, fuel filter removal has some dangers. If you do not relieve the pressure, when it comes off it will spray a little fuel (and even if you do it will spread a little fuel around by gravity).... not a lot admittedly... but add a shoplight for better visibility.... some fuel spray.... and well... BE CAREFUL. People HAVE been badly burned doing this. BE CAREFUL!!! Please. NO SHOPLIGHTS. Relieve pressure first.

Thank you for staying safe.

7. 410Fortune

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      I hate it when the fuel starts running down your arm, like under your work shirt, and there is nothing you can do but keep working at that filter....argh stinks and it's COLD!! hahaha

The exploder fuel filter is a PITA but with the correct tools you can make short work of it 90% of the time. Sometimes those pressure clips are FUBAR'D but you can buy new springs to install in most auto parts stores for a couple bucks.

8. chriswells78

chriswells78 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Powell(Columbus), OH
      Year and Model:
      96 XLT 5.0 4x4
      Mine was a total PITA.

The pressure fittings were rusted to the filter.

After a half of a can of WD40 and enough bad words to keep a Naval gunship afloat...I broke the nylon line running from the tank to the filter. :fire:

I ended up having to cut the metal end of the nylon line off with a hack saw blade and replacing the nylon line with 3/8 rubber 4 hose clamps and a new pressure fitting. Total cost about $21.

Of course, I broke the line at 7:30 on a Sunday night and Monday was Martin Luther King day. Luckily Napa doesnt celebrate MLK day :thumbsup:

9. Gremlinstien

Gremlinstien New Member

City, State:
      Reeseville, WI
      Year and Model:
      91 4dr
      I would advise against that method myself :eek:

A compression fitting works VERY well on those plastic lines, even better when you put a sleave inside the tube first, but still ok with out it. The compression fittings will easily hold up to the pressure of the fuel system.

I have never trusted the hose clamp method. It is way too easy for it to slide off of the plastic.

Just my $.02 incase anyone cares.

10. 410Fortune

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      I build my own nylon fuel lines from Ford parts.

Boiling water will get the hose over all three flares on the stock fittings, it is an art form! hahaha

If you dont get all 3 flares it will leak!
      I dont do clamps either, they just never held up to the pressure.

I will stick with my 88 fuel filter, SO SIMPLE.

11. chriswells78

chriswells78 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Powell(Columbus), OH
      Year and Model:
      96 XLT 5.0 4x4
      I didn't use just regular $.10 hose clamps. Napa sells special hose clamps that are for use with fuel lines. They were about $2.00 each!

I uses a compression fitting on the filter end but I used the hose clamps to attach the compression fitting to the hose.

It has held up for 3 tanks of gas now and no sign of leak or problem. I used hose that is specifically for fuel lines too. Not just any rubber hose. The 3/8 fuel line has walls that are about 1/4" thickness.

410, how do you make those clamped on steel fittings like OEM? I looked for these and a possible crimping tool to attach them, but no luck. That is why I went with rubber line and clamps.

12. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      I would like to see something on a CVT, 6, and 7 speed automatics, hybrid drivetrain, flexible fuel driveline components, and CNG conversions. They are popular in the UK on average vehicles, but only on commercial vehicles like buses, and trucks here. Electric vehicle conversion articles would also be interesting. I read an article on another website a while ago about somebody that converted his Jeep Cherokee to an all electric setup when his engine died at over 400,000 miles. I also have a book that shows somebody that converted an S-10 pickup into an EV. He bought one with a dead engine just for doing this kind of project. An artice about the new LED headlights that are probably going to replace HID would also be interesting. Maybe a write up on installing car alarms, remote starters, and navigation systems would be good too. I understand that not everything would be going into this section. Maybe some things might not be for this website in general, but it's food for thought.

13. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      I want you all to do TWO things. Keep thinking outside the box, and ask...WILL *I* do one ? Photo threads are hard work but very rewarding...dare ya.