Three problems with my 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Three problems with my 2002 Explorer

Beigeonethebigone

Reaction score
City, State
Hanford,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
1) The door ajar sign won't turn off
2) The 4x4 lights keep flashing on and off
3) The car keeps making weird noise whenever I accelerate Car sound - Clyp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to our 2002 - 2005 subforum since your questions are specific to that generation.

1) The door ajar sign won't turn off
2) The 4x4 lights keep flashing on and off
3) The car keeps making weird noise whenever I accelerate Car sound - Clyp.

Only THREE problems? That's excellent! :chug:

Just kidding....welcome to the forum. Maybe better to create an individual thread for each problem and be specific about what you observe and if you've got engine codes. Also, include engine size and how many miles on it.

1. Put the key in, and open doors one at a time. Each time a door is opened it should give the warming buzzer. When you find the door ( or the hatch) that doesn’t give the warning buzzer, that is the door with the issue. It’s usually the switch, but could also be the wiring.

2. The 4wd lights flashing are like the check engine light for the 4wd system. Get the codes pulled, or you’re just shooting in the dark.

3. Couldn’t tell from the clip what was noise vs background noise.

I have also found that a simple fix for the door light might be a little dirt on the sensors in each door. It is usually the lift gate one in my 2002. I have found the most simple fix. Spray a little silicon spray in each door latch. Fix the problem for me in about two minutes.

Easy check on the 4x4 light: unplug the 4x4 switch. A trim removal tool (or carefully applied butter knife) to pop the radio surround should expose the wiring. Note that this will not necessarily diagnose a bad switch, but should get the light to stop flashing. I'm not sure that a code reader that isn't the full-suite tool will read the 4x4 system codes.

Is it flashing in a pattern or just randomly?

I have also found that a simple fix for the door light might be a little dirt on the sensors in each door. It is usually the lift gate one in my 2002. I have found the most simple fix. Spray a little silicon spray in each door latch. Fix the problem for me in about two minutes.
Sure, give this a try, but my experience has not found this to be the problem on a door that is acting "always open" like OP's door. This has been my experience with doors that are acting "always shut"
1. Put the key in, and open doors one at a time. Each time a door is opened it should give the warming buzzer. When you find the door ( or the hatch) that doesn’t give the warning buzzer, that is the door with the issue. It’s usually the switch, but could also be the wiring.
I'm going to just take a hard opposition on this.

First, Your diagnostic procedure is for testing the opposite fault that he's experiencing. His issue is that the truck always thinks that a door is open, so your test has no way to differentiate between the door that is the cause being actually open vs. the truck thinking that now there are 2 doors open when a door besides the problem door being open.

Second, It's usually the wiring - it gets brittle with age and shorts to ground or gets corroded and too resistive to power. The place to start is the driver's door harness. Pull back the protective boot on the wiring in the hinge and look for cracked wiring. Then pull the drivers door panel off and examine the factory splices in the harness. You might as well check the switches while you've got each door/hatch apart to check the wires. If the drivers' door is not the problem, go to the rear upper hatch, then the lower hatch, then the other doors in the order of which ones look most used.

Easy check on the 4x4 light: unplug the 4x4 switch. A trim removal tool (or carefully applied butter knife) to pop the radio surround should expose the wiring. Note that this will not necessarily diagnose a bad switch, but should get the light to stop flashing. I'm not sure that a code reader that isn't the full-suite tool will read the 4x4 system codes.

Is it flashing in a pattern or just randomly?

Sure, give this a try, but my experience has not found this to be the problem on a door that is acting "always open" like OP's door. This has been my experience with doors that are acting "always shut"

I'm going to just take a hard opposition on this.

First, Your diagnostic procedure is for testing the opposite fault that he's experiencing. His issue is that the truck always thinks that a door is open, so your test has no way to differentiate between the door that is the cause being actually open vs. the truck thinking that now there are 2 doors open when a door besides the problem door being open.

Second, It's usually the wiring - it gets brittle with age and shorts to ground or gets corroded and too resistive to power. The place to start is the driver's door harness. Pull back the protective boot on the wiring in the hinge and look for cracked wiring. Then pull the drivers door panel off and examine the factory splices in the harness. You might as well check the switches while you've got each door/hatch apart to check the wires. If the drivers' door is not the problem, go to the rear upper hatch, then the lower hatch, then the other doors in the order of which ones look most used.

Actually the method I outlined will work perfectly for diagnosing a door that is belived to be open, and is how I figure it out when I have a door ajar issue.

Also, I’ve had this issue in all three Explorers, and it’s never been
the wiring, it’s always been the switches, or strikers.

(1) WD40/PB Blaster the lock mechanism on each door, liftgate, and liftgate glass. This is the easiest first step.
(2) Get a code reader or have them read the codes at autozone.
(3) if V8, and if the sound is like a diesel for a few seconds, then you may be looking at a timing chain & tensioner replacement. But will require more diagnosis before tearing into it.

(1) WD40/PB Blaster the lock mechanism on each door, liftgate, and liftgate glass. This is the easiest first step.
(2) Get a code reader or have them read the codes at autozone.
(3) if V8, and if the sound is like a diesel for a few seconds, then you may be looking at a timing chain & tensioner replacement. But will require more diagnosis before tearing into it.
Bad link to the sound "clyp", so I could not hear it. Timing chain issues far, far more prevalent on the 4.0L V6 than on the V8.

How many miles on the engine? Post and let us know if you positively diagnose any of the problems.

Excuses me, but I wish some here could help me post a new thread. It's not a very useful forum if I can't post a new question. I don't want to pay to become an elite member.

Excuses me, but I wish some here could help me post a new thread. It's not a very useful forum if I can't post a new question. I don't want to pay to become an elite member.
You don’t have to be elite to post a new thread. Go to the forum which fits your year/issue and then use the “post new thread” button on the top right.

Actually the method I outlined will work perfectly for diagnosing a door that is belived to be open, and is how I figure it out when I have a door ajar issue.

Also, I’ve had this issue in all three Explorers, and it’s never been
the wiring, it’s always been the switches, or strikers.
You talking about 3rd gens or 2nd gens? cuz the 3rd gens have wiring problems, the 2nd gens have switch problems.

My 02 has this issue, and the door alarm starts sounding the second the key is put in, and doesn't change when you open any doors, it just constantly sounds the stupid tone over and over. So no, the method you outlined doesn't help determine a door that is falsely open, at least not on my 2002.

Doesn't look like OP is coming back soon, so probably no point in arguing.

I have the same issue 96firephoenix as soon as I insert my key it gives me the chime until I start the vehicle. Also how do I turn off the seat belt chime, that SOB is loud

Back