Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Throttle body cleaning?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jcquads, December 29, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jcquads

jcquads New Member

City, State:
      north vernon,in
      Year and Model:
      04 xlt
      Got a 04 Explorer XLT 4.0 4wd.
      How is the best way to clean the throttle body?
      Or can I just buy something and run through the tank?
      I am having trouble with rough idling. Gonna take it to the
      Ford dealer and get it reprogrammed for that. But also want
      to clean the throttle body first.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albany, Western Australia
      Year and Model:
      2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
      Remove the intake hose from the throttle body,and remove tb gasket then spray the throttle body cleaner onto cotton tips(ear cleaners), gently wipe away accumulated gunk, keep going until clean try not to lose cotton tip down the tb-that would be bad.

Check out the throttle body gasket mod to remove the lag when you accelerate

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190982

4. muddypaint

muddypaint New Member

City, State:
      fredericton
      Year and Model:
      94 xlt, 91 sport
      i used a rag on my intake and just moved the valve and used a screw driver and a bunched up rag with the straw attachment on my throttle body and it cleaned up real good mine had 178 thousand miles and it looked like new when cleaned and removed my rough idle, it will start realy hard tho then after it does start let it idle turn burn the cleaner thru.

5. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gillette, Wyoming
      Year and Model:
      04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
      Also with cleaning the TB, you may end up getting a whistle from it. I beleive there's some coating on there and sometimes you take that off...I know the 06+ people have problems with that. I know that my Ex whistled since I cleaned the TB.

With a rough idle...check your air filter (replace if necessary), clean the MAF sensor, and clean the electrical connections at the TB. Also run some sea foam or 44K gold through it.