throw-out bearing?

thumper73

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Help in cost and what to expect.

my 1993 explorer [standard trans and 114,000 miles] just through out its throw-out bearing [no pun intended] this afternoon. Had it towed to the garage.

1. what can I expect to hear from the mechanic in cost?

2. would a new clutch be part of the fix?

3. would it be easier to have a automatic trans replace the standard transmission cost wise? It this is going to cost $800-$1000 for the repair a bearing, $1200 for a standard transmission would be a better deal. YES/NO

4. anything else I have not though of in fixing/replacing/repairing the truck.

thanks, oh and question #3 is just a thought. after all the truck is 12 years old and 114,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think switching to an automatic tranny would be a cheap solution. The mechanic will have to drop the tranny to replace the throughout bearing/ slave cylinder so it is not really that the parts cost that much it is the labor. I would have him put in a new clutch and reface the fly-wheel while he has the tranny down.

well this is what i heard from a mechanic i used to work, about the hydraulic clutches,

he told me that if your going through all the trouble of taking everything apart you mind as well replace everything and be done with it, as in the pilot bearing, the throwout bearing, the slave cylinder and the clutch itself

I agree with fordby4. The cost associated with installing the auto, plus the downside of putting in a problomatic tranny, far outweigh the minimal cost of replacing the clutch and throughout bearing. You're probably looking at $400.00 - $500.00 to have it done. If you are handy and can do it yourself, about $150.00.

Just had the clutch done on my 1/2 ton gmc beater (94) New OEM disc and pressor plate, re-surface-balance flywheel, new bearing, new pilot bearing, replace leaking rear main seal, flush hyd system, 800 bux, is one of those things you gotta do it all with 175K miles

A lot of places charge $400-$500 just to pull the tranny and reinstall it (which will be 90% of the labor). Then add on a couple-a few hundred for the clutch kit, bearings, and s.c., flywheel (or resurfacing), and a little more time to install that stuff.

Not a cheap job to have some do, but the DIY cost would only be a couple hundred.

thnanks for the help, guys!

:roll: But DO IT YOURSELF is not an option. The only car tools I own are a set of socket wrenches. Other than that, my mechanical ability is nil. :D

Just replaced throw out bearing and clutch on mine.clutch was $189 and bearing/slave cylinder assembly was $70 did the work myself.I'd buy all the parts and if you can't do it yourself ask around and find someone who can do the work cheap.

Back