Thumping from front Driver side corner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thumping from front Driver side corner

phoenix89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I have a random thumping noise coming from my front driver side wheel well area.(06 explorer 4.6L 4wd eddie bauer about 146 k miles) changes evenly with speed, not rpm. Seems to thump everytime the tire turns. Noticeable on gentle and hard right turns only.went to change the oil a couple weeks ago after it had started and noticed a sway bar link dangling from the lower A frame. That night i replaced both sway bar links and rotated and checked all 4 tires. were fine. Noise stayed in the same corner. The next weekend, i picked that corner up, shook the wheel, was solid, thinking the bearing is fine(bearing is only a year and half old). Inspected brakes in that corner, appeared fine. A friend pointed me toward the rack and pinion. Found it to have a leak near the steering connection. Got a remanufactured one and replaced it. Got an alignment today, and driving home from work tonight the noise is still there. Not sure to look next. Cv joint?

Have you tested your tie rod ends for play? I had something similar to this and it was actually a loose nut where my upper control arm connects to the frame. Might want to verify that, too.

I have a similar issue. Not sure what it is yet.

Back