and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Thumping noise in front wheel

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by j4bs4209333, January 12, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. j4bs4209333

j4bs4209333 New Member

Wondering if anyone ever had the same problem as me. 2002 Explorer 4.6L 4x4. When I am driving I hear a loud thumping noise from what sounds like the front driver's wheel. The noise starts at about 20mph and is louder the faster I go. I can also hear a roaring noise, which sounds like a typical bad hub noise, but would a bad hub thump? It also feels like it's binding up, especially when taking a left, but the caliper isn't frozen. The noise is pretty consistent when going straight, it lessens a little bit when going right, and gets worse when taking a left or hugging a left curve. Last night I had to make a u-turn and when I cut the wheel all the way left and went the tire locked up, I would have sworn the tire fell off, but when I backed off the wheel a little bit it was fine again. I've replaced the 2 rear hubs and checked the front hubs and they have no play in them at all. Checked the front suspension, and nothing wrong there either. I recently had the driver's rear hub completely lock up on me so I thought about that, but when the front end is off the ground the tire spins freely by hand and there's no scraping noise coming from the hub. I think I can eliminate front differential issues because if I jack up one front tire it spins freely without the other side having to be off the ground, so I think that means that the differential only engages in 4wd. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. My first guess was the hub, but I've never heard of a hub thumping or binding up when turning a certain way. I'm now thinking it might be the cv axle but I don't want to play "guess the part". Can anyone give me a suggestion? I don't have the money to bring it somewhere so I'm hoping someone else might have had a similar issue and can help me out. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mmartin8888

mmartin8888 New Member

City, State:
      Asheville North Carolina
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT
      same issue

I just dropped it off today, will let you know what they say. It feels like it is binding and a metal sound. It is coming from front left wheel

4. Ruffway25

Ruffway25 New Member

City, State:
      Howell NJ
      Year and Model:
      02 sport
      Front wheel bearings. Autozone. $120 a piece. Might as well do both. About a two hour job if your mechanicaly competent.

5. j4bs4209333

j4bs4209333 New Member

Thank You. Mine's just getting worse. It feels like I'm riding on a stuck caliper.

6. EasyRhino

EasyRhino Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Kailua, Hawai'i
      Year and Model:
      '02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
      I agree with this. A common problem and somewhat easily fixed. Just buy good bearings (there is a lot of junk out there) and be patient with the three bolts behind the knuckle that holds the bearing in place. Oh, and be careful with the ABS wiring - it doesn't like being abused.

I also agree with the recommendation to do both at once, as there is a likelihood that both will fail eventually. Ask yourself, how far behind can the 'good' bearing be?

The only thing I might disagree with is the two hour estimate. Some have had problems getting the bolts in/out and getting the axle nut off, or getting the axle half-shaft splines to disengage the hubs. So hope for two hours (can be done), but allot more time just in case.