Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Thunk when downshifting under load?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by AGodlyCanuck, June 13, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. AGodlyCanuck

AGodlyCanuck New Member

City, State:
      Nelson, BC. Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1992 Explorer 4dr 4x4 XLT
      So when I was driving my explorer home after just purchasing it i had to take it up a noticible grade I decided to take it out of OD and put it in Drive. I kept my foot in it as I always would but when it shifted down holy hell there was a crash, A loud thud. Now if i take my foot off and downshift then nothing, it would be normal. smaller hills, nothing. Could I need to add more tranny fluid or should I be looking elsewhere?

This is the only SERIOUS thing I can think of that I need to address.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      It's easy enough to check the trans futile level, add some if it's low, if it's not, don't add.
      Next I would get underneath and try to rotate the driveshaft by hand, checking for free play. Sloppy worn joints might cause the issue.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    4. Rainier

Rainier New Member

1993 Ford Explorer XLT
      My 1995 Ford Ranger, 4x4 auto, 4.0, it clunks when switching into reverse sometimes, and from reverse into drive. Definitely audible, but not super loud like a backfire or anything. I wonder if it's the same issue, just yours is further along.