Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Time for tires

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gsueagle2424, July 17, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    ?

Which to choose?

Poll closed November 15, 2017.
    1. EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

25.0%
    2. PREMIER LTX

50.0%
    3. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

25.0%
    1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Last edited: February 13, 2018
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Ronxlt

Ronxlt New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2016 Explorer Limited
      Peter, I didn’t post that other picture. Someone else posted it to try and discredit me. The picture in the link I posted supports what I have said since my first response about tire types on this thread. I’m not sure why someone felt a need to try an belittle me to make themselves feel important.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    4. kobresia

kobresia New Member

City, State:
      Black Hawk
      2013 PI Utility
      The tires on the left are identical. Literally. It's the same photo of one tire, rotated 180-degrees, complete with drop-shadow on the top.

The point does stand, that some tire styles are asymmetric, but not directional, so all tires in the line are identical, regardless of position, although they should be mounted in such a way that certain features of the tread block are to the outside/inside, but it doesn't matter which rim is located where on the vehicle as long as they're all mounted correctly (they may be rotated in a cross-pattern). I believe that's what KayGee is getting at, correct? Firestone Firehawk GT Pursuits are a good example.

Then you have directional, symmetric tires, all identical, but they may only be rotated on a particular side, but it doesn't matter which side a given tire is originally mounted on as long as the arrow is pointing in the direction of rotation; sides could even be safely swapped for the purpose of rotating tires, as long as the tires are remounted on a wheel in the reverse direction. Goodyear UltraGrip X-Ice are an example of these.

It's largely the same with asymmetric, directional tires, only they're specific to the side of the vehicle they're mounted on and cannot be reversed on rims to change sides, only moved forward or back, as seen in Ronxlt's link.

5. Ronxlt

Ronxlt New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2016 Explorer Limited
      Actually the link I provided shows asymmetrical tires that can be rotated to any position on the vehicle. No matter what side you move the tire to the outside edge will always be on the outside of the vehicle. The link even mentions the rotation pattern.

6. kobresia

kobresia New Member

City, State:
      Black Hawk
      2013 PI Utility
      Ahh, okay, I get it now. I didn't notice the text saying they manipulated that image to make it a mirror. Asymmetrical tires generally wouldn't be a perfect mirror image. Some, especially the model pictured in your link, will look extremely strange when mounted correctly, one side channeling water forward and out, the other channeling it rear and out. As pictured, there would be two distinctly different tires in each set, i.e., a directional asymmetrical set.

On a related note, I have had a shop get careless and mount one tire out of a set backwards compared to the others. It does make for strange handling characteristics...

7. KayGee

KayGee Active Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      '16 & '17 PIU
      If the link you provided is the one from quora.com, it is quite misleading as the tirerack text mentions asymmetric, but seems to be referring to non-directional asymmetric tires which allow using multiple tire rotation patterns. The picture in your link is indicated as a photoshop and appears to be a single tire that has been mirrored to show what directional asymmetric tires would look like when mounted. Directional asymmetric tires would not be able to be put on any position of the vehicle as they would be right/left specific and should be mounted accordingly (if all same size, they can only be rotated front/back - if staggered sizing, directional asymmetric tires cannot be rotated at all).

I apologize, but just because an asymmetric tire is mounted properly with the outside marking facing the outside of the vehicle does not mean the tread will be mirrored from right to left sides.

Here is another example of asymmetric non-directional tires (Nitto Neo Gen). The tires are identical and the large blocks are to the outside as they would be when mounted on the vehicle, but they are not a mirror image of each other. These tires can be rotated front/back and/or right/left because they are non-directional, but some people might think they are not mounted correctly as the tread is different from side to side.

[​IMG]

8. Ronxlt

Ronxlt New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2016 Explorer Limited
      It doesn’t matter which way the water is channeled out. My point is the outside thread blocks of an asymmetrical tire will be a mirror of the tire on the other side. If you take an asymmetrical tire and place it in front of a mirror with the inside blocks nearest the mirror. The image in the mirror will be how the tires will look on the opposite side of the car. Inside threads on both tires will be in the inside. Outside threads will be on the outside. I can then take any of the four tires and rotate them to any position on the car and they will all have the outside on the outside and the inside on the inside. I think some are getting confused by the angle of the sipes and that doesn’t really matter. Sipes just increase traction by allowing the rubber to flex and “bite” the road. Image a tire with only horizontal sipes and asymmetrical thread blocks and the mirror image would be clearer to visualize.

9. Ronxlt

Ronxlt New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2016 Explorer Limited
      What you have just posted is exactly what I have been saying. You are the one who mentioned directional asymmetrical tires. I didn’t. Mirror image means exactly what the picture shows. It does not mean identical. If you imagine a mirror between the two tires you posted the image on the left is a mirror image of the tire on the right. The inside threads are near each other and the outside threads are farthest away from each other. I am only talking about the placement of the thread blocks and nothing else. You added more to it and then tried to belittle me.

10. Ronxlt

Ronxlt New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2016 Explorer Limited
      Here’s another definition to help those who might need help.

Mirror Image

1. an image of an object, plan, person, etc., as it would appear if viewed in a mirror, with right and left reversed.
      2. an object having a spatial arrangement that corresponds to that of another object except that the right-to-left sense on one object corresponds to the left-to-right sense on the other.

11. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      If if we’re truly a mirror image, you wouldn’t have to ignore the siping, or *any* detail. They would be ‘identical’ but mirrored, and NOT curve in different directions.

12. Halford1

Halford1 Member

City, State:
      California
      2014 Ford Explorer XLT
      Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus did great at Mammoth Lakes, CA when it snowed. no issues with these tires.