• Register Today It's free!

Time to change those saggy leafs?

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
Just looking for opinions on my 98 XLT leaf springs. To me they look a little saggy and are almost flat with the axle. I am not sure how they look stock but would I benefit from changing these out or gain any ride height?

I am going to do the shackle lift and rear shocks in the next week or two and might as well do it all if it needs it.

Any thoughts? Best pics I could get at the moment as I live on a busy street and didnt want to get run over taking pictures laying in the road.

30739288_1942945515717638_6239989192143667200_n.jpg

30705101_1942945659050957_1623673267690668032_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Warrior shackles & call it a day. Leafs have gotten $ because of metal prices.

If you leave the springs alone you'll have a smoother ride, worse handling, and lower load capacity. I'd measure front to rear and left to right sag to see how its sitting, though if you're going to raise the front to level it out anyway, you have some side to side adjustment to offset the rear too, bring the left rear up closer to equal to the right side (since most sag more on the left rear).

Ideally you'd swap them out, but one factor against it is this is now a 20 year old vehicle with the 4.0L SOHC and its timing chain issue and how many miles on it? if it needs new tires it needs new tires but how much to invest in a 4.0L SOHC, instead of selling and getting a 5.0L?

Some have opted to get Monroe Load-Adjust (coilover) shocks instead, but I don't think they're going to be very effective with a lift.

If you leave the springs alone you'll have a smoother ride, worse handling, and lower load capacity. I'd measure front to rear and left to right sag to see how its sitting, though if you're going to raise the front to level it out anyway, you have some side to side adjustment to offset the rear too, bring the left rear up closer to equal to the right side (since most sag more on the left rear).

Ideally you'd swap them out, but one factor against it is this is now a 20 year old vehicle with the 4.0L SOHC and its timing chain issue and how many miles on it? if it needs new tires it needs new tires but how much to invest in a 4.0L SOHC, instead of selling and getting a 5.0L?

Some have opted to get Monroe Load-Adjust (coilover) shocks instead, but I don't think they're going to be very effective with a lift.
I ended up ordering the monroe sensa tracs for the rear along with my warrior shackles and ranchos for the front. Im going to skip the leaf springs for now as compared to other explorers ive seen they dont look to be sagging too far.

My XLT has the OHV 4.0 (not SOHC) with 160k miles and Im not too worried about any timing chain issues, it runs great and has been well maintained over the years. No plans on doing a 5.0 swap either.

Ive only got a few $100 bucks into this rig and it should hold up for a few summers of light trail riding as I do not put a lot of miles on it.

Thanks for the input.

Mine is still sagging some with the shackles and Monroe Load-Adjust shocks. I am going to put the add a leafs in once it warms up, they were under $40.

IMG_20180420_154047507_HDR.jpg

Mine is still sagging some with the shackles and Monroe Load-Adjust shocks. I am going to put the add a leafs in once it warms up, they were under $40.

View attachment 157870
I will eventually throw some new springs on later in the summer. I found a set for around $175 shipped.

What size tires are those? I really want to order 32s or 33s next week but think it would be a smarter choice to get the 31 instead of rubbing on everything. Ive heard some people fitting 32s and 33s with just a TT and shackle lift but not sure if mine could stuff them or not LOL.

Worn out 31x10.50 on 10" wide rims.
I'm thinking about 32 x 11.50 s and small body lift

Rim offset is a big factor, with the shackles and t t 31s would rub at full lock on the front

Rim offset is a big factor, with the shackles and t t 31s would rub at full lock on the front

I put a worn out set of 31 10.5s on just to see what the clearance would be and they didnt rub on the stock suspension around the block but I didnt go off road or hit any bumps. They are on American Racing 15x8 Jeep rims and not sure on the offset.

I really want those 33s tho but know it wont happen without the body lift. Im also going to remove the running boards and plastic skirt off the front fender to clear up a little room.

Pro Comp Add-A-Leaf Kit 13120
Bilstein 4600 series HD shocks ( if you want to spend the money they are worth it) OR
KYB Gas-A-Just

Pro Comp Add-A-Leaf Kit 13120
Bilstein 4600 series HD shocks ( if you want to spend the money they are worth it) OR
KYB Gas-A-Just
I ended up ordering Rancho RS55185 Shocks for the front, Monroe 58617 Load Adjust Shocks for the back, and Warrior 153 Gray Heavy Duty Shackles. I will probably throw them all on this coming weekend weather permitting.

Ive heard good things about the bilsteins but they are just too pricey for my budget.

Also switch the sides for the leaf springs. The drivers side is heavier and usually that spring sags a little more.

Back