Timeline 2013 Explorer Sport | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timeline 2013 Explorer Sport

Ok Guys and Ladies:
Here is the scoop from NC.
I have actually laid eyes and sat in a New Explorer Sport, (Black, on Black).
The following is only my Opinion. Let me state up front I declined to do a test drive in it due to the temptation to make a purchase. (I ordered mine June 8th, it was allocated for production through the Atlanta office this past week, so I have been told).
The electronics in the Unit is outstanding and very user friendly, basically you can control the entire Unit from the steering wheel. (Voice & Hands on) Ford defiantly did their homework up front with the applications and layout, the wife and I were impressed. Example: rear power lift door, with the door fully open it is somewhat close to being 6.5 feet from the open/close button to the ground,( I'm 6 foot tall no problem) the wife is 5 foot tall it is an issue, you can open the rear door and hold the open/close button while holding the door at a desired height, you will hear a beep and the Max height will be set, 5.5 feet if you wish.
As for the engine running it has No Sound it is very quiet, I stepped down on it to hear the Twins Spool, Nothing it was still quiet, No Rumble, No Nothing. The sales person did say it was wicked and very strong when the rubber hit the road, he implicated the ride was a touch harsher than the other models which is expected.
The unit was six passenger, the second row seats appeared small but they sat very well to me, as for third row maybe you should be short & small in stature. The unit was equipped with 402A, moon roof, tow, mats, 2nd row bucket etc...
NOTE: I did have one Negative about the unit, when getting into the driver and passenger seat area you must step up and into the Unit, when getting out you must step out of the Unit not just slide your feet out. There is like a 4 inch drop from where the Explorer Lighted entrance plate to the bottom of the foot plate. (Excuse my description but you will know what I mean when you actually sit in one).
Go to the web site to look if you wish there is a lot of Pics: www.huntersvilleford.com
This is only my Opinion,
Terry #0608

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok Guys and Ladies:
Here is the scoop from NC.
I have actually laid eyes and sat in a New Explorer Sport, (Black, on Black).
Where in NC? I'm in NC too and have only found one ( Fayetteville ) that has all the options I want. There is one just south of Charlotte ( Fort Mill, SC ) but it doesn't have adaptive cruise...

I'm hoping to stay on top of it so that possibly my dealer can swap out and I don't have to wait for my order. I'm way too impatient. :)

Thanks Cory ( and Crystal ). I already have a VIN #! Very exciting... Now I wait for the sticker/build date?
You got it, NimbleNadzz! A huge shout-out goes to Crystal for lending a hand with my PMs on Friday. :):thumbsup:

I walked out with a receipt for the deposit I gave them and factory order receipt, which had my name and what I wanted...
JarHead1833,

I’m keeping a close eye on it (now that I have the order number). Keep up a weekly check-in via PM for the latest status. :D

...Let me state up front I declined to do a test drive in it due to the temptation to make a purchase. (I ordered mine June 8th, it was allocated for production through the Atlanta office this past week, so I have been told).
The electronics in the Unit is outstanding and very user friendly, basically you can control the entire Unit from the steering wheel...
I love reading reviews like these, Terry; thanks so much for posting!

Cory

Ride quality

Thanks Tazcubed...let me know how it goes after a few days of driving...

I've had a chance to drive it around a bit more and I'll phrase it this way: if you truly don't want to feel any bumps of any kind then I'd say get one of the other models. Personally, I find that the amount of intrusion isn't bad and the road feedback I get is good. I've taken it out on some good roads as well as some bad roads and, yes, you can tell the difference. Going over railroad tracks isn't jarring (I've got another particular bad railroad track to try crossing and I'll let you know how that goes), but I did feel some of the worse divides on a stretch of bad highway (that said, you should be ok with the botts dots). The Sport handles better, implies more competence and certainly feels very tight and balanced. Highway driving is actually really good - there was no sense of wandering within the lane. The engine seems to be quieter and smoother than the regular 3.5L - and the added power comes on strong and quickly without drama so I'll have to watch what speed I'm carrying. Mine had been road tested for 30 miles before shipping and delivery, so hopefully that implies it's been given an extra inspection and checks. About my only issue is one that's mentioned in a few reviews - the dead pedal does intrude. Fit and finish are good. So far, I'm really happy with it. I'll love to really test the engine out once I get through the break-in.

I've had a chance to drive it around a bit more and I'll phrase it this way: if you truly don't want to feel any bumps of any kind then I'd say get one of the other models. Personally, I find that the amount of intrusion isn't bad and the road feedback I get is good. I've taken it out on some good roads as well as some bad roads and, yes, you can tell the difference. Going over railroad tracks isn't jarring (I've got another particular bad railroad track to try crossing and I'll let you know how that goes), but I did feel some of the worse divides on a stretch of bad highway (that said, you should be ok with the botts dots). The Sport handles better, implies more competence and certainly feels very tight and balanced. Highway driving is actually really good - there was no sense of wandering within the lane. The engine seems to be quieter and smoother than the regular 3.5L - and the added power comes on strong and quickly without drama so I'll have to watch what speed I'm carrying. Mine had been road tested for 30 miles before shipping and delivery, so hopefully that implies it's been given an extra inspection and checks. About my only issue is one that's mentioned in a few reviews - the dead pedal does intrude. Fit and finish are good. So far, I'm really happy with it. I'll love to really test the engine out once I get through the break-in.

Haven't you seem the torture test? No need for break-in, get on that baby!!

Test Drove; thoughts

Mine is scheduled to be delivered soon but I couldn't wait. I found a local dealer who just got one so headed over for a test drive. Drove it for a good 15 min. with the salesman. In short I was impressed; loved it and can't wait for mine. It looks better in person. The inside and out is very nice. Sitting in the driver seat, it feels really big and the ****pit sits high. I've never driven an Explorer and am coming from a late model Pathfinder.
The engine is quiet, has very nice pick up. The engine matches the size and weight of the frame. I would imagine now that the other models would feel underpowered. The brakes were responsive; the pedals feels small and doesn't take much input; probably due to the bigger rotors and calipers. Weight distribution feels even. The only thing I may have to get used to is the MySynch interface. It's pretty hi-tech and may not be too intuitive.

Good summary, thanks.

Major Question?

Has anyone taken delivery on a New Sport with the Summer Tire Option on it 265/45/ZR20?
I understand this is the holdup with the production of my unit.

Terry

Major Question?

Has anyone taken delivery on a New Sport with the Summer Tire Option on it 265/45/ZR20?
I understand this is the holdup with the production of my unit.

Terry

Summer tires is a late availability option, usually things with late availability come out a few months after the first production runs

It looks like it may be the Dead of Winter before I am able to get mine.
I understand it is in the production window of week #47 as of today ... due to the tires.

She's on the train leaving Illinois for Santa Monica, California!!!! So excited to meet my new ride next week ;>)

She's on the train leaving Illinois for Santa Monica, California!!!! So excited to meet my new ride next week ;>)

I can't help but just stare at mine every time I walk by it... Let me know if you suffer from the same illness after she arrives ;) Walks to the mailbox and back take about 8x longer than they used to . . .

Two things to check very carefully on delivery....

Wheels.. go over every inch and make sure there are no scratches or gouges, these are the most common thing damaged when loading and unloading the car off the truck/train for some reason....

Lighted Door sills.. It looks like when they were prepping the car they may have used the door sill as a step to dry the top. On the drivers side the aluminum is bent a bit, and on the passengers side it is scratched and has a small scrape. They are really fragile unfortunately. My sales guy is going to see if he can get them replaced, I really should have noticed them prior to taking it though.

Took delivery today. I will upload some pictures once it stops raining.

Nice to see everyone getting their explorers in. Thanks also for all the tips on checking items after arrival. Ours is due Nov. 5th. Looks like they made the ones with sun roofs first. We opted out on that.

Great! Good to hear one finally arrived in town. Mine was scheduled to be built today. Hopefully it arrives within a couple of weeks.

Well after looking at several different crossovers, my wife and I decided to order a 13 Explorer Sport last night. I think I constructed one online about 20 times before we came to an agreement on everything we wanted. We went with white with charcoal black interior, 402a group, added the towing package, dual panel moonroof, and the rear bucket seats. The total price added up to 49085. With my Xplan discount plus rebates adding up to $2500, we ended up getting it for 43875. We are trading in an 09 AWD V6 Toyota Venza. The Venza has been great with zero issues so I hate to see it go, but it is starting to rack up the miles. Dealer says 4 to 6 weeks, but I'm sure it will be longer.

Oops, I did it again!

Yup, I went ahead and placed an order on Oct 23 for a 2013 Explorer Spot, Ruby Red with all the toys. :D Today my rep emailed me that it's temporarily slated to be built the week of Nov 19. I already have the order number and VIN. Should be a nice Xmas present, better start shopping now for those aftermarket goodies! Cory, can you give me any updates as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s really fun to read all the awesome reviews, guys; I appreciate you taking the time to share!

It looks like it may be the Dead of Winter before I am able to get mine.
I understand it is in the production window of week #47 as of today ... due to the tires.
I don’t think you’re prepared for the awesome news waiting in your inbox, burnettetf. ;)

cputman,

Your Explorer is moving right along; see your inbox for my PM. :)

I’m excited to check out the pics, disaacks!

Great! Good to hear one finally arrived in town. Mine was scheduled to be built today. Hopefully it arrives within a couple of weeks.
Break out the bubbly, kaelin; your order rolled off the line! :party:

Nice to see everyone getting their explorers in. Thanks also for all the tips on checking items after arrival. Ours is due Nov. 5th. Looks like they made the ones with sun roofs first. We opted out on that.
Yours is still in transit according to my tracker, Tyler4x4. I PM’d you with more info.

Well after looking at several different crossovers, my wife and I decided to order a 13 Explorer Sport last night...
Mdanielswv18,

Congrats on making the decision! You won’t have a VIN yet, so drop me a line via PM (with your order number + dealer info) for me to track your status. :thumbsup:

Yup, I went ahead and placed an order on Oct 23 for a 2013 Explorer Spot, Ruby Red with all the toys. :D Today my rep emailed me that it's temporarily slated to be built the week of Nov 19. I already have the order number and VIN. Should be a nice Xmas present, better start shopping now for those aftermarket goodies! Cory, can you give me any updates as well?
I definitely can, pbeelien. Send me a PM with your VIN and I’ll keep you in the loop.

Cory

Back