• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Rattle

Goldt00th

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Exploder Limited
Earlier this week, I replaced the front timing chain tensioner on my 99 4.0L SOHC, primed it with oil and put it back in. Worked good at first, now it's noisier than before.
What is the barest of minimum I can do to change out the front chain and cassette only? Just trying to keep my Exploder rolling.

No need to pull the engine for the front one. Just pop the valve cover, water pump and timing cover. I cant remember which one comes off first, the crank to jackshaft, or jack shaft to driver side cam. If its the latter you dont even have to pull the valve cover on the passenger side, it stays in sync with the crank. Might want to put a new primary guide and spring on there while you are in there. They have a tendency to be the first things to go.

No need to pull the engine for the front one. Just pop the valve cover, water pump and timing cover. I cant remember which one comes off first, the crank to jackshaft, or jack shaft to driver side cam. If its the latter you dont even have to pull the valve cover on the passenger side, it stays in sync with the crank. Might want to put a new primary guide and spring on there while you are in there. They have a tendency to be the first things to go.
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have to rent any special tools to change it put would I?

If you set the crank at tdc and you don't have to muck with the passenger side (cant remember if you need to or not) then you could probably rig something up to hold the drivers side at 0 deg when you line up the gears. there are no timing marks, but streetrod2000 timed his entire engine without the OTC tool set. Have a search, its in his list of links. It makes it a hell of a lot easier but for one side, it probably could be done without.

Back