Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Timing chain replacement on a 2002 explorer 4.0 l

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by cruzroy, December 9, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

My wifes ford explorer 2002 of 100000 miles has a broke rear cartridge, so i got to pull the motor and pull the chains, i have some photos and videos, and i started the thead late so the stuff might be out of order.....but i do still need help the the chains, i quess im a little confuse about taking them out an putting them in, im old-school 2 sprockets, timing marks, and 1 chain.....this is nothing like this, especialy when all the gears dont have keyways??????? im looking for all the help i can get......the last video is where i am as of 12-9-2012

thanks to all for the help......take to me like im a baby, i havent pulled a motor in 20 years, but i had no choice this time, i could not afford $3000.00 to replace 1 chain at ford.....just to let you know i drove this truck into the garage before pulling the motor, and it ran 15-20 mins with a loose chain.

lets begin

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. xhomerjayx

xhomerjayx New Member

City, State:
      new york, ny
      Year and Model:
      2002 xlt
      wow. I just had the whole engine rebuilt when my timing chain started to fail.

4. toy720

toy720 Active Member

City, State:
      fort worth tx
      Year and Model:
      2002 Exp 4x4 5r55w 4.0l
      Hey appreciate the video on the harmonic balancer I spent 8hrs today trying to get that thing off my rig and thought the same thing you did when you look in the hole that sure looks like the cranks so I guess I have been trying to pull the balancer but getting no where because I was pulling against thawasher thing. I am only doing the front cassette on mine and in vehicle as well. I too am wondering If I can take my front cassette off without disturbing the timing I do not have the tools to hold the cams so may have to figure something else out. But looks like I will have to remove the primary to get to the cassette for the front?

5. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

hi my name is mike

im an old school mechanic an this motor is confusing the crap out of me, i sent my motor to a motor shop in my area....and they broke the 2 bolts in the harmonic......how do you think i felt.....but i got it back hom and drilled out the bolts and i figured it out myself.....thats why i made the video, im a video guy, some time i dont read or understand words that well, i bought a winter bomb for my wife, so i can take my time, im am where the last video is so far, i had to work on the winter bomb so its sitting in the garage on the stand.....but i will try to keep the post updated,,, but this guy here is great help 2000StreetRod search him out here....he can help, this will be my first 4.0, but i bought my tools used, and you do need them from what they say....more for putting back together, youll notice that all the sprokets but one has no keyway......the tools set it right at the end....feel lost yet..i do.......but look for 2000StreetRod to answer any questions...i will help if i can.....

6. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain Update, 12-15-2012

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain Update, 12-15-2012 Main Front Chain Removal

7. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 12-15-2012 Main Chain Removal

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 12-15-2012 main Chain Removal

8. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 12-15-2012 Left Front Chain Removal

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 12-15-2012 Left Front Chain Removal

9. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

end to a long day........Do i got to take the head off too ???

end to a long day........Do i got to take the head off too ???

10. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

I got it in.................YEAH!!!!

im not taking the heads off of this girl, i got the new cassette in,
      made a video

11. toy720

toy720 Active Member

City, State:
      fort worth tx
      Year and Model:
      2002 Exp 4x4 5r55w 4.0l
      Good Job Keep it going I finished mine up yesterday and all seems to be ok of course all I did was left cassette and front tensioner only and removed balance shaft chain. I used the timing tools to time the thing and it does really help.

12. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

good another insight

im still kinda lost on how you time a motor without keyways and marks.....im an oldscholl mechanic

you can talk to me like im a kid i dont mind......im doing videos as i learn.....but when i start putting it back together i will go crazy i quess....i think im thinking to hard, but i have to go to the ford or order the new bolts i need.....(TTY or TTA)
      mabey you can name them off for me....part numbers would be great or what their called.....the ford i call did not understand what i needed,

p.s. this site only give me 20 emails, so if yours dont go thru, use my email
      cruzroy@charter.net thanks
      here some pictures

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

13. toy720

toy720 Active Member

City, State:
      fort worth tx
      Year and Model:
      2002 Exp 4x4 5r55w 4.0l
      Just the Harmonic balancer and the Jackshaft bolts are torque to yield which they say are just a one time use. Here is where I disagree I reused both of mine I did use some lock tight on them though. I think the theory is the bolts will stretch and you will not get an accurate torque on them. As for timing you really need to see if you can locate a loaner tool set OTC 6488 and then search on here for 4.0 SOHC timing and the instructions will come up. Basically you will bring the rig to TDC I used the harmonic balancer on mine and brought it to 0 and the number 1 piston was at TDC then you will need to hold it at TDC why you torque down the jackshaft bolt. Then you will need to assemble the front timing cover and then you put the tools on the right or passengerside cam and it will line up with the tool only one way and once you have it dialed in then you can torque down the right cam bolt. Then do the same on the left head. On the right head make sure the cam lobes on the number 1 are not 180 degrees out they should not be and the lobes should not be contacting the rockers and If I remember correctly at the back of the cam there are some flat spots and I think the flat will face straight up(this is for right or passenger head) as for the left head the little cam sensor knob should be facing almost straight up and the lines or notches on the ends of the cam shafts should be parallel with the head. Again this is my opinion on the bolts and if you want to replace the bolts tell the dealer you want the harmonic balancer bolt and the jackshaft bolt. I think that is the only torque to yield bolts.

14. toy720

toy720 Active Member

City, State:
      fort worth tx
      Year and Model:
      2002 Exp 4x4 5r55w 4.0l
      Also to make it easy for the bolts number 6 and 7 and maybe number 4 maybe someone else will chime in on number 4

15. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

OMG.................the bills................Just an FTI guys

Okay Guys To Date 12-19-2012.....my poor Credit card Bill came in, no X-Mas
      here, im broke, i still have a few items to get the motor in......wires and plugs hoses....$$$$$$$$$ but i had to, i got no other cars, and just getting by for paying my house.....sorry for venting..............but wow!!!! i quess thats why ford explorers new are 60,000.00 new......those fancy bolts are not cheap....

Today, FORD Motor CO. 28 nuts and bolts (some TTY and manifolds).....218.98
      1. Ford 4.0L SOHC Engine Keyless Jackshaft Tool Rotunda OTC ... $30.00
      2. TORQUE ANGLE GAUGE and ROTATION CHECKER Meter Measure $20.00
      3. Chilton ford 2002-03 Explorer/ Mountaineer repair manual....$16.00
      4. FORD MAZDA 4.0L COMPLETE TIMING CHAIN KIT..............322.22
      5. 02 FORD 4.0L SOHC FULL GASKET SET+BOLTS VIN E K EXPLORER...$135.00
      6. OTC SPX 6488 Mazda Ford SOHC 4.0L V6 Cam Tool Kit.................$180.00
      >>>>>>>>>>>>Grand Total>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$921.00.....so i figure a grand........the timing kit did come with a new water pump..

after this job and she starts up good............ill be selling off any tools
      i will never do this again...
      going back to a rusty 68 firebird.........................LOL

thanks guys for all the help

16. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 01-08-2013 upper oil pan removal part 1

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 01-08-2013 upper oil pan removal part 1

17. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 01-08-2013 upper oil pan removal 2

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 01-08-2013 upper oil pan removal 2

18. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 01-08-2013 part 3

2002 Ford Explorer Timing Chain update 01-08-2013 part 3

19. TheGTkid

TheGTkid Active Member

City, State:
      Jackson, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      Yikes
      Im sorry I cant help so much, but you helped me! I now know where the petcock is for my radiator [:
      I dread seeing this happen to an 02 4.0, I have one and my paranoia is taking me over currently, I hear what sounds like a knock, but I am in operating oil range, and I hear some sort of loose part of the belt system ( ik it isnt the balancer, my paranoia took me over on that too) just starting to get worried

20. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 1

21. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      installing block girdle

I've been enjoying watching your videos. Which one shows the installation of the block girdle? There are some special sealing procedures as well as the alignment of the girdle to the block.

22. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

yeah i did not want to remove it

But i did, i hope i got it right........i used the rtv where it was in the ford repair manal, i had to put extra up front caz i could not get the little pieces in back, you would have to pull main cap bearing for that, so i cut them flush, and let little nibs to compress into the slots plus rtv,,,,,but everything else seems fine.....newest vids coming up....

23. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 2

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 2

24. cruzroy

cruzroy New Member

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 3

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 3

25. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      Precision tensioner, etc.

The purpose of the precision tensioner (#6484) is to make the chain taught. It should be installed before the camshaft sprocket holder (#6478) is tightened on the holder adapter (#6482). If the chain is not taught on the traction side (side of the cassette opposite of the tensioner) when the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt is tightened then the timing will be slightly off. However, it shouldn't be off enough to make a significant difference in performance.

The torque specification for the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt is less than the left is because the extension tool (#6485) is normally only used on the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt. If the extension tool is used it provides additional leverage so the specified torque is 45 ft-lbs. If the extension tool is not used the right sprocket retaining bolt is tightened to 63 ft-lbs which is the same as for the left sprocket bolt. The extension tool allows timing the right camshaft with the engine installed in the vehicle. There is insufficient clearance between the firewall and the sprocket retaining bolt for a normal torque wrench. Tightening the left socket retaining bolt to 63 ft-lbs with the extension installed is equivalent to over tightening to 88 ft-lbs.

The washer ("O" ring) on the hydraulic tensioner has a tendency to fall out of position when installing the tensioner. If it drops out of position there will be oil leaks around the tensioner housing. Thick grease will keep the washer in place until the tensioner is tightened.

26. lurker01

lurker01 New Member

City, State:
      Virginia Beach, VA
      Year and Model:
      1993 XLT
      Just to add a little.
      Did not take engine out. Main tensioner broken as well as tensioner on balance shaft. Managed to get new balance shaft tensioner in without taking engine out. Took new spring off new base, notched the spring on the end that goes on the pin, bent old (still mounted) base down a little, installed new spring on old base (was not too easy, just be persistent), bent old base back into place. Did not take crank sprocket off either.