• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain

KarmaLaw

Reaction score
City, State
KC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
With 206,000 miles on a 2002 XLT 4.0 V6 in thats in great shape with lots of new parts, should I replace the timing chain?
Its not making any noise, nor doing anything that warrants repair or replacement.
One of the 3 chains is a little loose as my mechanic discovered when replacing valve cover gaskets.
I'm lucky to have a Ford Master Technician who does weekend side work for cheap.
He says they go out, but I thought I'd get some input from this site.
Cost of timing chain set: $180 online and mechanic labor: $300.
Being on a budget, should I do this now?
Planning on keeping Explorer as long as possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He did say he could do it in several hours. He's done a lot over the year. So I'm guessing I'd be a fool to not do it?

I doubt he knows what he is getting into if he quoted you 300 dollars labor to change all the chains on that engine. Either that or he is trying to fleece you. They want 5k with labour just to swap that engine up here with a junkyard salvage at a private shop. The specialty tool used to time the chains once installed is worth 300 dollars after tax alone. I rent mine out locally for 50 dollars a use, and get no complaints.

Didnt realize this would be hard to believe as ive never replaced a timing chain before, let alone 3 in one motor.
Let me restate that my mechanic is a Ford MASTER Technician who worked at a large Kansas City Missouri Ford dealer for 15 years.
He's been a mechanic his whole life.
He replaced my oil pan gasket for $100 & both valve cover gaskets for $100 (one hundred dollars) perfectly.
He now works at a private shop making more money which is why he left the dealership.
He knows every trick in the book to do any job, as he's learned from the old school pros who taught him mechanic skills.
So he is going to do the labor for Three Hundred dollars on a sunday on his off time.
Judging by the reactions so far, I guess it is an unbelievably cheap labor charge to have performed by an expert veteran.
Thanks...will be scheduling this miracle price service with him for next weekend.

Make sure you get the job estimate in WRITING. Good luck, you'll need it.

I think KarmaLaw should be your "mechanics" name instead of yours. :banghead:

He's a good family man doing extra weekend work to support wife & 4 kids. I had no idea the extent of his generosity with this quote. Which is off the books & a cash deal, so nothing to get in writing.

Will do. He's finishing installing my transmission today that went out a couple weeks ago. Got a recently rebuilt transmission from a salvage yard for $550. He charged me $350 for that labor, when the least expensive shop wanted 900.

He ran a scope down all 3 chains & only the front one was loose. He also said the plastic guides are notorious for breaking.
I guess I failed to mention that we're gonna leave the rear one alone and just replace the front chains and their accessory items, eliminating a lot of labor time.
Either way, I'm hoping this is ending my repairs for a while.

He ran a scope down all 3 chains & only the front one was loose. He also said the plastic guides are notorious for breaking.
I guess I failed to mention that we're gonna leave the rear one alone and just replace the front chains and their accessory items, eliminating a lot of labor time.
Either way, I'm hoping this is ending my repairs for a while.

Yeah I think that would be $400-$500 at the mechanic I use. Or pull the motor to replace the RH timing chain cassette and I'm looking at $2000-$2500 for labour.

Back