darby

Reaction score
City, State
uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 4.0 auto
hi this is the 1998 X that won't rev
i am pretty sure it's late valve timing and wonderd you veiw's on it
i connected a vacume gauge tp the inlet manifold and acording to the reading's tell's me late valve timing
and all so thinking about it for an over head cam she is well nosiey (tappety)
when you rev it as you let off you here it more for a second or two
have had valve cover off r/h bank cam is good put a spaner on camshaft nut and will turn center shaft but there is a delay to the crank ?
no timing marks on it :(
someone told me thay had one two years ago thinks it had the seme symtoms
said never again engin out
what abuot just the crank to center shaft chian and tensoners (primary) in the car ?
hope you can help me :)
thank's darby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, run a search for "cam cassette" and cam tensioner." The subject is not simple, there are parts in pre 2002 SOHC engines which should be replaced if at all possible. Good luck,

found primary chain and balance shaft tensioners in half piece's

hey, I'm a mechanic at a ford dealership, and ive been through this a few times. dealing with 4.0 timing chains is not a pleasurable experience, and is actually why i bought a gas guzzling 5.0 explorer. There are no timing marks on the cam pulley or cam, you need the special service tools from a ford dealership. One is a camshaft aligner, oneis a puley aligner, and one is a pulley bolt wrench that reaches through the holder. also, be sure to time both camshafts if one has been disturbed, or you'll have a lack of power at high rpm and a ticking sound at all speeds due to uneven cam timing. trust me on this one, the extra work the first time is worth not having to do it again. You will need check the cams if your tensioner and guides are broken, and you may or may not have to retime them, but even being slightly out of time can cause serious drivability problems.
i'll answer any other questions you have, but i'm not on here much. hope that helps.

thanks it has helped
engine nearly out i am ordering all chains and guide's
hopefully hireing tool's
let you know how it go's
darb

i have my new chains but ford wont lend me the tools to set it up
has anyone got the valve opening times so i can use a timing disc and dial gauge
thanks darby

Hey, i just looked and ford doesnt publish that information, as it is a much more difficult way to set up the valvetrain. I'll have my friend who works at an independent shop check it out on mitchell to see if they have an alternate way of setting up the camshafts, and i'll get back to you. your best bet is still to borrow the correct tools from a ford dealership, they'll make the setup go smoothly and properly the first time. maybe try some other dealerships, maybe offer them a deposit and some i.d. or something to work out a deal.

tryed all dealers around me and all say no
engine shop dont have them
need camshaft tools or pics of the tools to see locking pegs
thanks darby

hi there i beged the tools and have now got her running wohoo :)
she sounds a bit deferent now
that for you help
darby

Well done. Glad it all came right in the end.

Jon

glad you got ahold of those tools. I cant find any other way of doing it.

Who does the tensioner repair in Scotland

Dealer (Brammall Laidlaw in Fife) trying to quote £1800 for the repair. Can anybody help finding a dealer in central scotland who will do this for a more reasonable sum?

Cheers

Paul McGowan

Are there any bent valves in your explorer? If there are, that's actually a pretty reasonable price. It would also be reasonable if the rear chain needed to be replaced. If its just the front chains you need, you should shop around more.

Paulmagoo,
That is the around the same price I have gotten from 3 West Australian ford dealers, I.E Pull the engine and replace all timing gear front and back for $4000-$5000 AUD.

Hopefully it will not come to that, as the front tensioner seems to be my problem at the moment and I will deal with that shortly as I have been driving around with the noise for 20,000k’s and I am starting to get a bit nervous.

If the front tensioner is your problem, you can change it externally. You just need to pull off the upper intake and thread out the tensioner. It takes me about an hour and a half now that ive done it a million times. All you need is a set of upper intake gaskets, the egr o ring, and the updated tensioner and washer (dont use the same old style, there's an updated piece) Definetely worth a try before you drop 5gs. The rear chain doesnt usually give too much greif, but if it does, you can change its tensioner externally too. It's a little more difficult, you have to go in through the rh fenderliner if i remember correctly.

98 limited 5.0 said:
The rear chain doesnt usually give too much greif, but if it does, you can change its tensioner externally too.

It's a little more difficult, you have to go in through the rh fenderliner if i remember correctly.
Can someone expand on this procedure ??

The tensioner is threaded into the cylinder head. You have to remove the upper intake manifold, then you need to thread it out with a wrench. the same goes for the rear tensioner.

i replaced all chains and gaskets done 2000miles so far she s going stront
wheel base a bit norrow

Balance Shaft

I have a serious noise, but it's not from the timing chains as I replaced all 3 of them. I didn't notice the noise before because of the broken guide on the timing chain, but once I changed all three chains with guides and tensioners I noticed a rattling noise in the engine and I think it's coming from the balance shaft area! As a mater of fact, we pulled the engine out twice and the second time I decided to rebuild the engine. The only thing we didn't change touch was the balance shaft. The chain on it, guide and tensioner as well as the sprocket is new. I did notice that it moved back and forth.

The noise I'm hearing only appears when the engine is at iddle. 900rpms or less. Once I accelerate, it goes away. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have serious noise from my engine constantly and have been told that its more than likely the timiing chains.

Ive read through this thread and it gives some excellent advce but alas im not a mechanic nor and I any good with engines etc. I took it to the mechanic I use and he has never worked on an Explorer before and is trying to get some info on how to do the job.

Can anyone let me know how much Im probably going to be looking at to fix this tapping noise from my chains?

Back