Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tim's '93 Sport

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by timtimtimajim, February 5, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 96EXXLTinCO

96EXXLTinCO Active Member

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 Explorer XLT
      I hear you!! Trying to balance cost, vs. Time vs. Practicality vs. Desire vs. Reality vs. Risk...........goes on and on. When that cheap radius arm bushing failed I swapped them both out with moog. I still have the set that was didn't split, but we're now living in Georgetown and it's in our storage down in thornton. I may be going by that storage on Thursday, I can grab it while I'm there and if we can figure out a way to get it to you it's yours. Might get you by for now at least.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. timtimtimajim

timtimtimajim Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      It's a constant battle for sure! But yah, if you're going by your storage I'll take it. It'll at least get me through the winter. How hard was it to replace when you did it?

4. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Well.....that's another story, LOL. I read the best way to do it is to grind off the rivets on the brackets, replace the bushing, and use bolts instead of the rivets to remount the bracket. I read somewhere of a way to not grind them off and I ended up being successful at it, but I honestly don't remember exactly what all it took to do it that way. I DO know that if I had to do it again, I would grind the rivets. Sounds like that would be easiest for you, since you'll not be needing the brackets with your long arm kit anyway. Grind em off now or later, either way it's gonna happen right?

I'll grab what I have in storage on thursday and shoot you a pic or something. Then if its something you want we'll figure out a way to get it to you.

5. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Okay. That makes sense. I'll have to do some research on the best way to do it. But yes, regardless of what happens the full lift kit will happen! It's been something I've been wanting to do for quite a while. Besides everything seems to be lining up. I have the funds for it and all my other major projects that I wanted/needed to get done are done. So the lift will happen sometime in the near future.

Perfect. Thanks for your help!

6. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Anytime man. My advice is jump on a lift as soon as you can. Don't hesitate or you'll end up like me over the years and never get it lifted!! If you got the cash for it, do it and don't look back!!

• Like Like x 1
    7. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Bull Park and Mount Rosa today
      IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0746.JPG

My buddies love playing in the mud, I don't...
      IMG_0748.JPG

So, I have basically everything to do the lift besides leaf springs. Ordered a custom set from Alcan Spring out in Grand Junction. Leaf packs should be here a couple days before I start on the lift. I have work and school off the week of Thanksgiving so I figured this was the best time to do the lift.

I'll be able to the use the lift off road maybe once because I'm having the cartilage in my right knee reconstructed right before Christmas. The surgery will prevent me from driving for at least five months and wheeling for at least eight months. So the Ex is going to do a whole lot of sitting coming up here.

Last edited: October 30, 2016
    8. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      HOLY COW!! ARE THOSE WASHOUTS ON THE ROAD TO MT. ROSA??? I did the write up on Mt. Rosa for trailsoffroad last year and they were NOTHING like that!! I might even have a pic or two on my write up of them last year.

9. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Yep! That's on Mount Rosa. Last time we ran it was back in March and they weren't even that deep then. Some of it was a good 4-5 feet deep...

• Like Like x 1
    10. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Leaf springs showed up today. Starting installation Friday afternoon when I get home from work. Seriously can't wait to get started!

11. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      :bounce: OK!!! IVE BEEN AS PATIENT AS I CAN BE!! WHERE'S THE UPDATE???? :bounce:

12. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      I hope you can hold out for one more day!! New tires tomorrow morning and it'll be ready for it's reveal:thumbsup:

13. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
    14. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      I ran out of daylight today to get any good shots. So here's a couple preview shots to hold you guys over until tomorrow when I'll be able to snag some full shots in the daylight.

IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0780.JPG

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Can't wait to see the rest!! Not sure of I mentioned it or not, but we're moving to the Springs for the winter. I have to swap out my tcase in the next couple days, but maybe we can sneak in a run up Mt. Rosa or something before your surgery?

16. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Sweet! Yah my buddies and I were going to try to get a snow run in before my surgery. It'd be cool if you joined. Though I do need to finish breaking in the new suspension and extend the rear brake line before I take it off road. But yah we could definitely run something. Mt. Rosa is a possibility, but I refuse to go up Old Stage Road anymore. It's to steep and rough going up. I'd rather make the drive to Victor to hit that area, then come down Old Stage.

Pictures in a couple hours!!

17. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      I present to you, my lifted Explorer! Really happy with how it turned out.

IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0795.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    18. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Bravo!!! Looks great!! Man what a difference 2 more inches makes!! I only put about 1" on our 94 with 31's so far but yours is quite noticeably taller. Well done Tim, I like it.

• Like Like x 1
    19. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Thanks man!! Yah this 3" kit gave it some pretty significant height. Definitely gives the Ex way more presence on the road and makes it way better to drive!

• Like Like x 1
    20. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      And you mentioned driving over to victor for some trails, here's a write up I did on the bank. It's right at the end of shelf road, which I also wrote up, on the South end if you've never done it. There's also an out and back right next to it that I still need to finish the write up on. I'm naming it the ATM, but its FS5820. Not much to it, but makes a nice little addition to running the loop at the Bank.

The Bank

Shelf Road

Thinking about running Phantom Canyon and writing that up since I could run shelf rd, the bank, the atm, and phantom canyon all in one day for updates once or twice a year.

21. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Both of those sound like really good trails. Not overly hard, which would be really good for a shakedown type of run. Definitely would like to run something that is easy to medium difficulty before my surgery. Rear brake line should be in beginning of next week, then I would be good to go.

22. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Sooooo, this snow kinda makes things interesting. I still havent made it up to Longmont to get my tcase, at this point, I'm not sure when I'll make it up there. However, if I can get it done, I know of a trail that would be good even if there's snow on it. It's starts kind of NW of Divide. FS362 or 363, dont remember which, but one or the other is also called Phantom Creek. Anyway, only a couple hills to mess with, the rest is all moderate hills. We ran it Sunday night all the way up into the burn area and then across the highway into Rainbow Falls. I wouldn't go all the way through the way we did with snow on it due to some really steep downhills, but the rest could be a lot of fun with snow. I'll keep you posted as to my progress on the tcase, wish the damn thing wasn't so far away.

As far as the trails I mentioned earlier, I'd do shelf road with snow, may not be the smartest move, and I'd run the ATM, but I wouldn't run the Bank, so it kind of makes the drive down there not even worth it.

I heard a rumor that Old Stage was fixed now, that they filled in the washout? You know anything about that?

23. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Definitely keep me posted. I'd be down. Still gotta get the rear brake line done. I have the parts so hopefully in the next couple days. Last day of the semester today so should have some time here to do that. My buddies and I are going to mess around on Mt. Herman this weekend. Something easy to get the wheels in the dirt one more time. You can come with us if you want. Though I'm still down to run something else as well.

I think they fixed the washout, not sure though. I mean last time I was up there, there was no wash out it was just all kinds of rough washboard. I do know that you can finally drive Gold Camp from the Springs to Victor now. They fixed that finally.

Last edited: December 8, 2016
    24. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Ok, that's what I was talking about. There was a section of road that crosses a stream that washed out a year ago, and I heard they fixed it but wasn't sure. You might want to check with the Forest Service on Mt. Herman, I heard THAT one is being worked on and is closed. I can also say for a fact that Ramparts' North and South gates were closed on Sunday night, we found the South end closed with no warning at about 430-5AM when we were just trying to get home. Had to backtrack a few miles and find a road down into Woodland Park. Rainbow falls should be open as well as everything across the highway from there.

I hear you on that washboard, it's insane!! Actually we were up there Monday morning for the sunrise (after we finally got out of Rampart) and I ran it up a little bit past Eagle Rock and it was surprisingly not bad. The snow may have filled in some of it, but I remember last year I was ready to punch a baby over that crap!!!

As far as this weekend goes, I got volunteered to help friends move on Saturday, and the ole lady is taking her Explorer up to Bunce on Sunday I guess, so I'll be free Sunday if I can get up to Longmont and get my damn tcase. Should be an easy swap (totally just jinxed myself) and I will hopefully be picking up a used set of 33's from a friend on the same trip though I doubt I'll have time to swap those in.

I'll keep you updated on what's going on and what I do or dont get done either way.

25. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      As far as I can tell they finished repairs back in September/October. I'll probably call Pikes Peak Ranger District and confirm if it's open or not. Regardless we will run something this weekend. Sunday works perfect!!

Don't jinx yourself on the t-case swap!

But definitely let me know. I've been on this forum for over two years, so it's about time to run something with a fellow member!

I'll be sure to let you know when we have a definite plan.

26. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Ugh.....didn't get my tcase today, and a friend's jeep broke down at 3AM this morning, git it towed to our place and got started on it, but had to leave to go help other friends move. Our 94 sport is making more noise that I think is a wheel bearing, at least that's what I'm told after she wheeled it last night. So looks like I'm out for tomorrow. I'm pretty open all week every week so as soon as I get one of em fixed we'll see if we can't put something together maybe.