Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tim's '93 Sport

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by timtimtimajim, February 5, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. timtimtimajim

timtimtimajim Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Explorer Sport
      No worries man!! Hopefully we can run something within this next week. Surgery is just over a week away. I do have to work Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. So if you get the t-case done I'm pretty much open any other day.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      The Explorer performed really well today on Mt. Herman Road. Nothing crazy, just a good shakedown run. I even flexed it out a bit. Didn't push it hard though because I need to ease into the hard stuff to make sure it is fully broken in. Gotta re-torque everything tomorrow.

For size comparison, my buddy's Jimmy has a 2" body lift also sitting on 31's. The Ex sits a bit higher than the Jimmy.

fullsizeoutput_2ec.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2ef.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2f1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2fa.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2fb.jpeg

4. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Really like the look of your Ex. I have a 96 and looking forward to getting her out there. need to get things taken care of with her first then I will be getting out there. There is a shop on Academy and Pikes Peak Ave that is great. I go to him if I ever need anything for any of my vehicles. I am also a part of a club here in the Springs that does not matter what vehicle you drive and they are all about wheeling and also taken care of the Community. We sponsor a trail Called "China Wall" great trail. Was up on that trail with my 92 I have stock with 30" tires.

5. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Thanks! I've been following the thread about your 92 for a while now and I like what you have been doing. It's nice to have other Explorers here in the Springs. China Wall has been on my list of trails to run, so one day I hope. Once I recover from this knee surgery and get back on my feet, we need to get a run together with some of the Explorers here in the Springs and from around Colorado. I'd really like to meet some of you guys in person.

In other news: Santa was very kind this year. Got me a Hobart Handler 210MVP. So that means the Ex is going to be getting a bunch of custom bits. Things like a custom roof rack, sliders, and winch hidden behind the stock bumper, just to name a few, will be in the works once I'm back on my feet

Recovery has been going slow but well. Minimal pain. Just takes some time to get better because of how delicate this procedure was. Just got to take one day at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    6. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      I am glad things are going well for you and your recovery. As for me I do not have the 92. Finances were in a bind. I do now have a 96. Once I'm able to get decent pictures of her I will post. Nothing special I'll done with her yet. Get better sir.

• Like Like x 1
    7. 96EXXLTinCO

96EXXLTinCO Active Member

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Santa was good to you!! I was a welding shop foreman for 2 different shops, fabricated all kinds of things, mostly custom one-off pieces. Lemme know if you'd like some pointers sometime, I enjoy teaching anything I know. Pretty impressive it says your welder can handle up to 3/8" thick matierial, I'm curious if that's when plugged into 220v outlet, or only with flux core or hardwire? Nice unit though for sure!!

8. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Thanks Chad! I'd definitely like to get some pointers from you! I can always use all the help I can get! Reading the manual it'll actually do up to 1/4" material. And that's on 120v with flux core wire. Of the course the plan is to run a 220 circuit in the garage so I can use it to the full potential

9. TxCowgirlInCo

TxCowgirlInCo The Neverending Quest for my next “parking rock” Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Texan In Colorado
      '94ExSpt,'96ExXlt,'92ExXl
      96EXXLTinCo is right! There are a ton of fun trails in the area that can lead to you To being in the truck for 2 days without realizing it lol. Mini Moab.... 96Ex was driving 2.0 (the twin to yours - General was having some tcase issues) and also had some trouble in that spot. The short wb makes that spot a little tricky when you're not on 35's and can skinny pedal it. 2.0 has only been up the right side, but when he leaves this garage (doing maintenance swaps, repairs and mods - soon I pray!!!) we're going left! I um...have a serious rock problem...see a big rock, go drive on it...see another big rock...go drive on it too lol. I like the challenge of picking lines and navigating tough rock obstacles...made more fun by being in a manual and not all tucked up like the J**ps. Poor 96EXXLTinCo....keeps saying he's gonna end up having to built a rock bouncer for me - my real goal - a 2.0 crawler / truggy / Overland hybrid. Don't want to go straight buggy bc of comfort and frequency of use. It's really not uncommon for me to go grocery shopping and somehow end up detouring home via trails.

Last edited: February 6, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    10. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Well FYI I have a 1st Gen Explorer again. I also have a D 30 for a SAS :) Looking froward to getting her up and running and on the trails soon.

• Like Like x 1
    11. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      I love rock crawling too. Problem is this Explorer is more setup for mild wheeling and overlanding, so I can only do so much of it. Plus I try to keep this one nice because it's been in the family since brand new and it's still in really good shape. Some day it'll most likely get a full frame off restoration.

My ultimate goal (though it won't happen for a while because I'm focused on moving out of my parents house once I get back to work) is to find another 93-94 Sport (preferably identical to mine) and put Dana 60's and 40" tires under. That way I can have something to go rock crawling in and not worry about beating the crap out of it.

I saw that you got another. I'll definitely be following the build of it. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Bet it feels good to be back in a first gen.

12. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      I saw that you got another. I'll definitely be following the build of it. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Bet it feels good to be back in a first gen.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is nice to have one again. My Daughter will be getting hers fixed up. we plan to do a mild lift to clear at least 32" tires so she can have fun on China Wall and Wheeler Lake. BUT she has to do those trails when I am with her. :)

• Like Like x 1
    13. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      So some good news today. I can finally drive again. Feels like it's been forever. I do have to left foot brake in order to drive (as my range of motion isn't the best) but I left foot brake most of the time when I drive anyway. So it worked out

Here's a picture of the scar right after they took the rest of the surgical tape off today. I think this pretty much sums up how major this surgery was. I won't post any of the pics took during surgery in order to spare those with weak stomachs.
      IMG_0877.JPG

14. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Glad things are looking better for you. Also glad your able to drive your ex.

15. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Couple small updates. Upgraded to a 5' Firestik today and added an external speaker for my CB. So better range and I'll be able to hear my CB even with the windows down.

Ordered a Screamin Demon coil pack with LiveWires and new iridium spark plugs. As well as two new temp sensors (one for the gauge one for the ECU) Parts should be showing up within the next week. This will definitely help the engine run a lot better.

Feels good to be working on this thing again!

16. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Glad your still working on it at least!! I havent been on facebook in about a week and not sure if news got out yet, but we acquired another 1st gen from Nick that I'm sure you'd recognize from facebook, and it is BIG!! Went up for a shakedown yesterday and lets just say i got some work to do. I'll hopefully be getting some pics and showing it off soon.

Interested in seeing if you notice any kind of difference with the new ignition parts.......

17. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Yep, I saw you guys got a new one! It looks absolutely massive! From what I can tell, Nick did a really good paint job with rattle cans. Can't wait to see what you guys do with it.

Coil pack and wires will be here Monday. So hopefully I'll get them installed either Monday or Tuesday and report back with my initial thoughts. I'm hoping it resolves some of the small issues I'm seeing with rough running.

Then Wednesday I get to go in for, what is best described as, an emergency procedure. I have too much scar tissue build up in my knee and I'm actually starting to lose my range of motion. So they have to get rid of the scar tissue and manipulate my knee as well. Luckily this procedure won't be much of a set back so I should be walking around better almost immediately.

18. 96EXXLTinCO

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Good to hear that wont be much of a set back at least, still not something I would be looking forward to however!!

First isssue to fix on the new one is changing to manual hubs. Auto hubs just didnt cut it on the trail with 35's. It is pretty massive!! 8" of total lift and 35's, gonna take me a while to get used to the new capability!! I'll start another thread on that rig here soon.

• Like Like x 2
    19. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      So initial thoughts of the new coil pack, wires, and plugs. WOW!! This things has been down on power for a while. More power off the line and climbing hills. Also fires up quicker, runs much smoother, and has better throttle response. So far I'm pretty happy with the new parts.

Also put in a new temp sensor for the ECU to hopefully fix a warm start issue I was having on hot days. Have to wait for a hot day to see if it will start when the engine is warm. But I hope between new ignition parts and a new temp sensor the issue should go away.

20. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Small project that I did yesterday: added a secondary water temperature gauge and a transmission temperature gauge, both housed in my center console. Used Autometer Z Series gauges. Used a heater hose adapter for the water temperature so that I could keep the factory gauge as well. I put the sender for the transmission temperature in the pressure port on the side of the transmission. Everything works perfectly. Best of all, the gauges illuminate in green so they match the factory gauges very nicely.
      IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0908.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    21. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Looks great.

22. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      New project in the works. Not gonna completely give it away, but it involves my new welder, the stock bumper, and a spare tire:D

IMG_0911.JPG

23. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Bit of a facelift for the Ex. New clear cut headlights. I'm also running new 4200k bulbs so the light output is much better and more clear. Just need to find some new bulbs for my grille lights so that way the bulb color matches. fullsizeoutput_363.jpeg fullsizeoutput_362.jpeg fullsizeoutput_364.jpeg

24. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Made some progress on this project the last couple days. Slow and tedious work, but I like it and it's turning out awesome
      IMG_0931.JPG IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0935.JPG

25. timtimtimajim

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      More progress today. Will hopefully have it completely built tomorrow. And hopefully painted on Sunday.
      IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG

26. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Did you reinforce the bumper? I like how it looks. Giving me ideas for my tire carrier.