• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Terry H

Reaction score
City, State
Ewing, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Has anyone had a problem with the rain noise on the roof I hear about in other forums?? What do you think causes it & can something be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! rain hitting the roof causes it :p:, turn the radio up haha

The cause is....drumroll......rain.
The roof is metal and the rain strikes it with such velocity that the kinetic energy of gravity interacting directly and vertically upon the water molecules at a standard rate of 9.8 meters/second, (not accounting for the surface area/drag ratio) is instantaneously stopped. Or transferred rather (since energy can neither be created nor destroyed) into an audible energy known commonly as "noise" since it carries no particular pattern or melodic tune.
The corrective action to take is to
A.) suck it up.
or B.) move to the desert.

Or you could pull down the headliner and try something like a spray on rubberized liner or Dynamat which is made more for the car audio field but can help to block outside noises.

Geeze. Kids with their MTV and Rockin and Rolin' don't know about basic science these days.
; )
Just messin' with ya' man. Welcome to the forum.

well, I was thinking the roof was probably a hollow area big enough to warrant some insulation due to the thickness of the roll cage & it was left out or not thought of......thanks BrooklynBay, thought that's where it was.........my bad!!

Your right. There's some space in there. Dyna-mat and the likes are all pretty thin and can fit in nearly anywhere. That's your best bet if the noise is getting to you. If your not into pulling apart you new vehicle you could probably get a car audio shop to install some for a price.

thanks............I haven't actually received mine yet, was supposed to be built the day the blizzard hit Chicago, been waiting since day 1.

Terry - Waiting on mine too and have also seen this complaint elsewhere.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the cabin being so quiet that when it does rain, the sound seems amplified more than we're used to in cars with more road noise present all the time...

Haven't heard it with mine yet, but I haven't been in a driving rainstorm either. Had it out in light to moderate rain yesterday and didn't notice anything different.

When I took my test drive, I found the cabin to be so quiet that the sound of the salesman breathing bugged me to no end :rolleyes:

Thought I'd update my experience on this. Today on my way to work I drove through a torrential downpour (wipers on high had trouble keeping up) and noticed no excess noise from the rain. It was about the same as it is in our Focus and was with our F-150. Unless Ford put a fix in before we got ours, it's a non-issue.

When I go through (5 times already since picking it up on Wednesday!:)) the car wash, the 2011 Limited is much more quiet compared to the 2007 EB Explorer.

When I took my test drive, I found the cabin to be so quiet that the sound of the salesman breathing bugged me to no end :rolleyes:

That would bug me, too. Stop breathing in my Ex! :D

Wondering if the sunroof would make a difference one way or the other?

Actually ordering mine tomorrow finally....on the fence about the sunnroof.

Get off the fence. You want the dual panel moonroof. Not cheap, but you deserve it.:)

I didn't notice excessive noise while driving in the rain today. I have the dual panel moonroof.

i did a test drive in the rain w/ the new EX, i thought the rain noise was normal. didn't think twice about it during the drive.

Go for the dual panel moonroof. I am getting pecan on black interior. I went for the dual panel moonroof to lighten up the interior.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've noticed a rather loud rain noise in our X too. I tend to attribute it to driving under trees and having larger drops than usual hit the roof. Sounds like acorns hitting the roof! :)

Back