Tip: Hazard lights work, turn signals don't | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tip: Hazard lights work, turn signals don't

Kamel

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L
I decided I would post this simply because this was an annoying issue for me that took lots of discussing to figure something very simple out. I'm a newbie when it comes to repairing cars, especially when it comes to anything electrical so forgive me if this sounds stupidly easy.

If your hazard lights are working and your turn signals both went out at the same time, your flasher may have gone bad. The 93 model only has a single flasher. It should be a relatively inexpensive ($3ish) part to replace. There aren't any 'relays' for your turn indicators, so don't go chasing a relay that doesn't exist for a long time like I did when the local parts store guy sold me a part that didn't exist (turn indicator relay).

The flasher is located in the fuse box that's inside the vehicle, under the steering wheel column over top of your left leg while driving. Specifically, it's the round thing shown in the diagram on arco777's post here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259423

If you'd like to be sure it's your flasher before replacing it (rather than say your switch on your steering column) here's an easy way to test. Hold your brakes and check if your tail light goes out when you activate your turn signal (should work the same way for both). If they do go out, then it's your flasher. Also, instead of the turn indicator inside the vehicle turning on and not flashing, mine wouldn't light up at all.

On a final note, be aware that the flashing speed of your turn signals may be affected by replacing your flasher. In my case, they are now much faster than they used to be. I'd prefer it be the same speed as my hazards, so if that's important to you get an OEM replacement but not really a big deal.

Just thought I'd write this up because it was a major headache getting this information. It seems so simple in hindsight, but getting here was a nightmare :rolleyes:

Happy exploring :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good info...thanks!

so glad you posted this because i'm going through this problem now and people were telling me a lot of different things. like to look for a second round one to swap with the flasher one to see if its the flasher or the relay. or to look for a flasher relay to replace it? and i couldnt figure out what anyone was talking about because i couldnt find one. so thank you so much for posting this and simplifying my repairs.

turn signal problems due to heating.

I found all of this to be very helpful. I have not tried replacing my flasher yet but I am planning to in the next day or two... but I have found that I only have problems with the turn signals being intermittent when the heat is on. It used to be just once the truck was running for a half hour or so, and now it's if I have the heat on at all. Has anyone else had problems with this particular issue or have any best guesses?

98 Explorer LTD

Thank you!!! Saved me money and time!

Back