Tips for disabling Clutch interlock? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips for disabling Clutch interlock?

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
I have been messing around with trying to disable the clutch interlock on the truck. I found the wiring harnes on the clutch linkage but when I pull it apart it will not start. So I am thinking I need to re-do some wiring. Does anyone know anything about doing this?

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport Modified

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ryan,
The interlock switch is a multi purpose switch serving three functions. However it appears from the Explorer 4.0 wire diagram that this is a simple single pole switch. Check the number of outlet leads from the switch. If there is one you have no problem bypassing the switch, however the Ranger 4.0 diagram shows three. A switched jumper wire can be installed between the ignition (Red/Lt. Blue wire) and the starter relay (Red/Lt. Blue wire). The switched jumper will allow you to retain the safety switch for street use, and it will permit normal function of the cruise control and computer systems.

I would be happy to help witht he bypass next weekend.

I have thought about doing the same thing, but have been too lazy.

As I see it these are your choices:

1. Re-wire the switch, you need to jump the connections so it thinks that the clutch is pushed in. This would be permanant unless you could wire in an auxilary switch. If I remember correctly there are lots of wires going to that switch, you would need a good schematic to do this.

2. Rig the switch mechanically so that the switch is always engaged, as if you had your foot depressing the clutch. The way the switch is actuated by the pushrod going through it you may be able to get another pushrod from a donor vehicle and tape or epoxy the pushrod in place. Then stuff the rigged switch under the dash.

Ryan,

It can be done. The eaisiest way to accomplish this is to zip tie the switch. However, you would loose your cruise control. But if you are just thinking of this for the trail, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

I think I will try the zip tie trick this week. I still would like a solution that I can turn it off for good but also use the cruise control.

------------------
Ryan Penner

Ryan were you able to defeat the clutch interlock yet?

What is the clutch interlock and why would you like to disable it?

Nope I have not gotten it done yet. I can't figure out the switch down there. I think I might take it apart here soon to see if there is anything I can figure out from it.

------------------
Ryan Penner

Mando,

You know how you have to push in the clutch to get a manual transission car/truck to start? Thats because of the switch. It is to keep from starting in gear and making the vehicle jump forward.

Sometimes when wheelin and the truck stalls its nice to be able to hit the starter to turn the engine to keep the truck rolling. On a really steep hill if you stall the engine, do you want to push in the clutch and roll back, or try to hit the brakes and stop/roll back a bit? Hitting the starter will keep forward momentum. The only way to make this happen is to do something with the switch, either take it out of the circuit, or physically make it engaged all the time.

Its hard on a starter to use it to turn the engine over to move the truck, and its not so great for a weak battery, but who ever said you must take it easy on your 4X...

--Jim

Thats how I start up my Jeep every time! I never pull it out of gear if I don't have to. Course its easier to do that in. No Electronics in it. Dead Link Removed Its a 54 3b. This weekend when I have a little more time I will get busy on this again.

------------------
Ryan Penner

Ryan,
If you figure out a good and easy way to do the disable, maybe you can 'fix' all of ours at Moab!
My first car was a '54 CJ-3B, I loved that thing. Bring some pics of yours to Moab, i'd love to see it.

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

Bill, Will do! If I had a trailer I would bring the Jeep with me. Dead Link Removed I want to see how it does off-road. Never had it off-road since I have gotten it. My dad got it as a project vehicle for me when I was 13. Its now up and running for good.
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/rpenner/jeep1.jpg

It looks a lot better now. The Explorer parked behind it is also taller. I think I have some more pictures around here somewhere. I will have to look for them and scan them in.

------------------
Ryan Penner

Resurrecting an OLD thread!

I want to do this mod soon. Brett or Ryan, can you describe in detail the ziptie method?

Rick, I saw in a recent post you are still interested in this. Did you do it?

I know of a much better way to bypass the switch. on my truck the botton 2 wires on the clutch connector are bridged with a piece of wire. I used 2 scotch locks and a short piece of wire. And it doesnt affect anything else.

You guys are hilarious!!

Go look under the dash of an automatic where the switch is (near the pedal) You will find your jumper there...it plugs into a manual truck and fools the computer.

The three wires are:

Neautral Safety
Electric Shift Safety
Cruise Control

Like stated above you can jump only the wires you want to disable the function for.

Brett Grooms showed me this when I converted my truck from a 5 speed to an auto, however I chose to completely remove the wires from my harness since I was already re-building it...

Alright, I still need some help here!

If I'm looking in the right place, I have four wires. From top to bottom, yellow-green/blue, grey/red, pink, red.

What ones do I jump?

Or, 410, what happens if I pull the jumper plug out of my wife's automatic? What effect on her truck?

Or, Brett, what is the 'ziptie method'?

Back