and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tips for removing broken front sway bar link??

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Duff Man, August 6, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Duff Man

Duff Man New Member

City, State:
      Laurel, MD
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer XLT
      I am in the process of replacing my front sway bar links and bushings. I already have the sway bar off the car. The drivers side end link was broken, hence me replacing them, and I cannot seem to get it off the car. The head of the bolt on the end link, above the sway bar, has broken off along with the bushings at the top. I cannot seem to get the rest of the link off since I cannot unscrew the nut since I have nothing to get a grip on so the whole thing just turns. Any tips??

Here are some pictures of what the remaining piece looks like.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. eXcali

eXcali Active Member

City, State:
      Bourbonnais, IL
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
      cut it off. If you cut thru the bushing as low as possible the bolt should fall thru. Use a hacksaw or other cutting tool, you will need to cut thru both the bushing and the bolt.

4. Duff Man

Duff Man New Member

City, State:
      Laurel, MD
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer XLT
      Thats what I was planning on doing, just seeing if anyone had any other tips.

Thanks a bunch

5. etc

etc Dead Inside Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Miami, FL
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 2WD
      Can't you just hammer it out with a screwdriver?

6. Duff Man

Duff Man New Member

City, State:
      Laurel, MD
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer XLT
      I tried pounding away at it and it wouldn't budge. I thought I should have been able to but thats why i posted.

I ended up just cutting it off and it worked like a charm. Putting the new ones on was much less effort that getting those crappy old stock pieces off!!!

7. RickOTR

RickOTR Active Member

Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer Sport 4X4
      That's what I was thinking... Ford revised that sway bar link because the first ones use to snap like toothpicks. I have Duralast sway bar links with energy suspension bushings on mine which has given me great handling. However, I had to drill larger holes in the washers and bushings to make it fit over the larger bolt from Duralast.