Tips on A/C removal? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips on A/C removal?

ok, so stuck... the two bolts behind the grill that hold on the a/c radiator (not sure of name) are rusted.. cant seem to get them at all. I got my fan ready cause it need replaced as well. Oh yeah, Im guessing the threaded screw in line on bottom of the radiator on driver side is a transmission line? its umm broke, so ill have to find a new one or have one made. that and taking the kids to karate is the hold up.

Compressor done, radiator out, belt off, working on a/c radiator then should fly though the rest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is 2 metal tubes that go into the left side of the radiator. those are tranny lines, yes.
i broke my bottom one as well lol. only option is junkyard to try and get one off without breaking that one too, or using rubber hoses made for fluid. and cutting the end off the broken pipe and clamping it to the hose you you can attach it to the radiator.

mine:
DSC_1938.jpg

yeah the bottom line busted, right at the nut part its self. I got about 75 ft of 650 temp black flex gas hose in the shed, can i use it? if i cant find a shop to make one...

i have a 'custom' one. it was a differnet line bent and cut to use in place of it. it goes to your aux tranny cooler right? it would be the black 8x10 -ish cooler behind your grille in front or the ac cooler.

if thats it you can have the custom one i did. i happened to find the one i needed laying on the ground at the junkyard in good shape lol

you should be fine using that line tho, as long as it fits on there. i drove 130miles using a vacuum hose as my tranny line and it never leaked. not suggested, but it worked.
just take the part that screwed in and cut it back 3" or so of line if you can and clamp that tube on there. then cut off a straight part of that also and couple the tranny cooler rubber line to your rubber line

ehhh, i threw mine away already, but i think mine was close to that. longer wouldve been better, but it might work. as long as you can fit a clamp on there and tighten it down good enough.

best option would be to find the stock line at a junkyard. i got lucky with it randomly laying on the ground lol

yeah i got one close im gonna try to swing by tomorrow on way home and have him just snip it like 4" back... and then unscrew it.. and clamp the hose on that..

edit: can u use either top/bottom when doing this? so if one brakes he can take off the other?

if you just cut off the end to use with a hose, theh no it doesnt matter. but if you get the whole hard line then no for obvious reasons. i would try and get a hard line, looks better. if you cant get one off(breaking/cinnamon rolling like mine) just do the hose then.

and if you do do the hose, make sure you get a straight piece of the line also, atleast 3". so you can join your hose and the aux tranny coolers hose together

ok running into problems, the two hoses above it all that run into the fire wall.. how in the world do you get them off? i need them off to remove the box.

the old box... where is the bottom bolt? how do you get to it?

jd i high jacked your pic... Greenish circles are the ones that stick out into the motor bay, i got them loose. blue circle is the one that is sticking inside the floor board i got it loose... now the red circle, how in the hell do you get to it with the motor still in? also the hoses circled in black are the ones i cant get off.. they both have a squeeze clamp.. pulled it away now what?
jdsac.jpg

Blue one is inside and red one you have to pull the fender well.the hoses you can try twisting them to break them loose or cut a slit in them and peel them off,just make sure you have enough slack to cut the ends off and still reach.just took this box out of xeeks and it took all of 5mins to get out;)

with having an Ohio Ex i deal with a lot of rust.. A LOT.. so getting out the a/c radiator part was a task in its self. along with some bolts having to be pb blaster and torch... im to just the box now on getting it out... plus like my fender well has issues and so forth... so yeah its a been a struggle, biggest problem is the damn weather... but hopefully soon ill have it all off, just need to remove the fender well to get that last bolt out and be able to put the new one in.. thanks.. hopefully have it done soon (suppose to rain alllllll week) and ill take pics of the installed unit.

so the ones you highlighted in yellow and blue you got out? the red one is the difficult one?
luckily for me that one was missing lol
i would assume other then removing the wheel wells...... take the coil pack &bracket off and see if you can fit down there. its really close to the tranny bolt i put in for the dipstick, and i did that by taking the coil out

mine came of in like 3minutes lol
but i didnt have the valve cover or intake on

looking at the big gaping hole i have now. youre really making me want to ditch ac jd......

yeah yellow and blue i got out, red is hard one, started taking wheel well out and got to dark. was wondering if i sipped the two lines and put a pipe with sealant on and tighting clamps to put them back to get would that be safe?

what? lol
the heater hoses? yank on them really hard. i had to with my old ones. i busted up my hands/finger/knuckles on the battery tray/radiator/whatever else when they finally popped off.

if you have to get a sharpe blade and slit them. make a few passes on the cut if you have to. i wish i had thought of that when i did mine. and if there isnt enough hose left for some reason just get new hoses. i think theyre $15 each

the wheel well should work, if not take the coil pack with bracket attached off. 15mm bolt on the cylinder head and 2 13mm bolts on the intake, 2 wire plugs, then of course spark plug wires.

jd, something i just noticed. why is your battery in the truck with no engine, with what looks like the battery cables and a jumper clip attached?

jd, something i just noticed. why is your battery in the truck with no engine, with what looks like the battery cables and a jumper clip attached?

lol i noticed it a while back.. but i thought i would just keep my mouth shut haha..

For the alarm! !! Still have stereo in the truck!its a battery tender hooked to it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back