Tips on A/C removal? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips on A/C removal?

Looks really good my friend! ! Good work! The 6 and 7 pic really show how much more room it gives!!;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ps i really hate green but for some reason it looks good to me there;)need an intake bad,get ride of that big box!!

that big box, is set up for my snorkel... i like green and blue, but i figured you wouldnt be able to see "4x4" if i did blue.

wish i had the money to pull it out and redo seals, clean it, etc... dont have money nor resources.

just waiting on my part from kbabiak to finish it up...that lower line that got busted

busted top line putting it back in so ended up putting a rubber hose about 4" long hopefully it holds.

Oo gotca;)

so question for the followers... and ill search to...do you HAVE TO HAVE the transmission lines running through the radiator? why not through the cooler in the front (which i have two, stock and one i installed)

Thats up for debate and really depends on the climate you live in and how good you trans cooler really is. There are a few discussion threads about on here..

In short, The heat exchanger in the radiator also warms up the fluid in cold weather and it is a very efficient heat exchanger (liquid to liquid)

Most aux trans coolers are not efficient enough or big enough to run as the sole cooler.

If it gets cold where you are you want to get that fluid up to temp and keep it at least warm enough, but not hot which goes back to the first point above.

and for reference. Out here in Southern Az where its rare to get very cold I don't run the trans fluid through the radiator on either the Van or the X. On the X I'm running two aux cooler (one with a fan) and on the Van its just one very big one.

~Mark

i started another thread in tranny thread.. figured i would get more responses... im here in Ohio... where it does get cold, but the 2nd tranny line cooler is attached to the radiator now that the a/c is gone.. i used the pull threw straps to do it.. the ex mainly only gets driven at play time in summer and in rare occasion we need to go somewhere in the winter...

0015.jpg

I don't run mine through either but I can tell you that aftermarket cooler is not large enough! !

I use the old AC Rad as a tranny cooler.I also run an aftermarket cooler with a fan and small stock cooler.I run a all aluminum manual radiator

ok so if i put the a/c rad back in and use it as the 3rd tranny line cooler... i would be ok to just skip the radiator?

will the holes need plugged or just leave them open?

No need to plug them.here are some pics of my setup.the one behind the small stock one is my oil cooler
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ok i guess this is my biggest fear/problem.... I got a line from kabiak(sp?) because my lower line busted.. well the top line busted as well because the threaded nut was rusted to the line... i dont wanna really run a hose because of the issues that can happen with hoses.. plus i have NO CLUE where to get a line that size... auto stores wont sell me nothing bigger then brake line thickness.. or i would just make my own line.. so if i was able to just by pass those i would have.. but living in Ohio, im getting the tranny fluid might get to cold and not work the tranny right..

Ok so im gonna still use the rad i guess for now.. i got the top line all fixed with some hose about 8" long, sealant and 4 clamps.. now the bottom is worse.. haha.. i cant seem to fix it... so here is my idea

Old Stock on on the left... radiator at the bottom... next (black) it the nut that goes in to the radiator, (brown) is the nut on the end of the stock line, (green) is stock metal line...

now pic on right.. is the custom one im thinking of... Still rad at bottom pic, (black) is the stock nut, then (blue) take a elbow that threads into the stock (black) big nut (of course with tape). then (grey) part is a barbed fitting threaded into the elbow with sealant as well.. the rubber hose (with clamp) onto the barbed fitting... hose runs to line cooler... this instead of the metal line... would this work?

Custom.jpg

busted part
trannylinefitting.jpg

I use the old AC Rad as a tranny cooler.I also run an aftermarket cooler with a fan and small stock cooler.I run a all aluminum manual radiator

old a/c rad out of the question.. i went to use it, picked it up and very quickly found out why there was never any refrigerant in the system... the two bottom pipes were ummm trashed, fins and pipes both trashed about the size of a dollar bill... so i think im gonna keep it for now running through the rad, fixed the upper pipe with the part i got and some hose (take pics when not raining) and i think im gonna redneck fab me up a lower line with some tubing and hoses.

keep it in the radiator anyway, mark explained that well.

umm for your upper i couldve helped but i cut it and bent it to use as a lower line lol
i can provide you with a custom bent lower line tho lol

i was gonna take it off and replace it now but i just warmed the truck up so im not gonna touch it now

the upper i fixed with kiabiks part and a piece hose (have pics, will upload tonight) its the lower its still killing me... that is why i drew that pic, i figured i could just make a custom L and use hose from lower rad to cooler.

get some pics of this line tomorrrow... but right after the curve from bottom up.. i cut it.. and attached with a high temp hose... its attached to the new piece... so the hose is roughly 8" long

upperline.jpg

oh yeah are yall seeing these pics?

so that busted line that noone around here wants to sell the parts to... well i just made a replacement... love lowes.. haha, but the hose is from advance..

parts
fixedlineparts.jpg

together, have clamps and barbed fitting for hose to hose connections
fixedline.jpg

thanks for the offer, but im guessing this piece will hold up, if it dont then i might change my mind and take you up on your offer...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back