Tire rotation, jack points, lug nut torque spec and TPMS reset | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire rotation, jack points, lug nut torque spec and TPMS reset

chartquist

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I'm about to hit 5K miles and will need to do my first tire rotation. I don't have a lift so I plan to use jack stands. A few questions:

1. Where should I place the jack and where should the jack stands go on each corner?
2. What is the rotation pattern? Should I just go front to back or should I cross them too?
3. What is the torque spec for the lug nuts?
4. Do I need a TPMS reset tool? I thought so until I read this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...programming-instructions.443649/#post-3523399. Seems hard to believe that the sensors automatically reset.

Apologies in advance if I've missed anything from the owners manual or previous posts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about to hit 5K miles and will need to do my first tire rotation. I don't have a lift so I plan to use jack stands. A few questions:

1. Where should I place the jack and where should the jack stands go on each corner?
2. What is the rotation pattern? Should I just go front to back or should I cross them too?
4. Do I need a TPMS reset tool? I thought so until I read this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...programming-instructions.443649/#post-3523399. Seems hard to believe that the sensors automatically reset.

Apologies in advance if I've missed anything from the owners manual or previous posts.

Disclaimer: This is how I do my Ex and is in no way, shape, or form the correct or incorrect way to do it. Your results will vary. :)

1. I usually just use the supplied scissor jack and typically start right rear(for no reason). I place a jack stand under that rear control arm then proceed to take the scissor jack to each of the other corners(with just the right rear on the jack stand). I tried with my floor jack, but never felt comfortable with jack points that I could reach. EDIT: Make sure you loosen(but don't remove) lug nuts before starting to jack and always apply the parking brake and tire chocks to wheels on ground.

2. When I rotate, the back tires go to opposite corner on the front(right rear to left front for example) and then I move the front tires straight back. So, after 4 rotations, the tires are back to their original position.

3. I usually go with 100 ft-lbs for torque since they are aluminum wheels.

4. I've never reset TPMS, however, you have a '16 which I think can display actual tire pressure?(not sure) My '14 doesn't have that ability, so it doesn't care where the tires are. Since we're talking tire pressure, break out a tire pressure gauge while you're at it to verify pressures.

The answers to the first 3 questions are covered in your Owner's Manual.
Pages, 322, 330, and 331.
I don't follow the rotation diagram and anyone that has 'directional' tires shouldn't either. I have them rotated back to front. Posts on the Forum have mentioned that the TPMS will reset itself. My dealer always does it as part of the wheel changeover from OEM to Winters.

Peter

100 ft-lbs is the torque for wheels. Police vehicles use 110 ft-lbs

The answers to the first 3 questions are covered in your Owner's Manual.
Pages, 322, 330, and 331.
I don't follow the rotation diagram and anyone that has 'directional' tires shouldn't either. I have them rotated back to front. Posts on the Forum have mentioned that the TPMS will reset itself. My dealer always does it as part of the wheel changeover from OEM to Winters.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I was looking at the online .html version of the owners manual and didn't see that section. I found it readily in the .pdf version and thanks much for looking up the page numbers.

Disclaimer: This is how I do my Ex and is in no way, shape, or form the correct or incorrect way to do it. Your results will vary. :)

1. I usually just use the supplied scissor jack and typically start right rear(for no reason). I place a jack stand under that rear control arm then proceed to take the scissor jack to each of the other corners(with just the right rear on the jack stand). I tried with my floor jack, but never felt comfortable with jack points that I could reach. EDIT: Make sure you loosen(but don't remove) lug nuts before starting to jack and always apply the parking brake and tire chocks to wheels on ground.

2. When I rotate, the back tires go to opposite corner on the front(right rear to left front for example) and then I move the front tires straight back. So, after 4 rotations, the tires are back to their original position.

3. I usually go with 100 ft-lbs for torque since they are aluminum wheels.

4. I've never reset TPMS, however, you have a '16 which I think can display actual tire pressure?(not sure) My '14 doesn't have that ability, so it doesn't care where the tires are. Since we're talking tire pressure, break out a tire pressure gauge while you're at it to verify pressures.

Yep, my 2016 displays actual pressures, so I want to make sure I get it updated. It would be wonderful it it resets itself, but I'd be surprised.

Any update on this? Id like to rotate my tires myself but wondering if it throws a code will it go away on its own.

The TPMS resets itself. The only time you may need a tool is when you need to change one of the tire sensors for what ever reason and that is only to reset to the proper frequency on the sensor for the system. Anyone who's ever had a flat tire [like myself] can tell you after reinstalling the tire, the system resets itself. It also has no bearing in what position a tire is on the vehicle. There are no sensors, outside of the tire sensors in any of the positions for this relating to location. It's a rather simple system, you have low tire pressure in one or all, the light comes on. It doesn't tell you which tire, it's merely a warning light to alert you to the situation.:salute:

The TPMS resets itself. The only time you may need a tool is when you need to change one of the tire sensors for what ever reason and that is only to reset to the proper frequency on the sensor for the system. Anyone who's ever had a flat tire [like myself] can tell you after reinstalling the tire, the system resets itself. It also has no bearing in what position a tire is on the vehicle. There are no sensors, outside of the tire sensors in any of the positions for this relating to location. It's a rather simple system, you have low tire pressure in one or all, the light comes on. It doesn't tell you which tire, it's merely a warning light to alert you to the situation.:salute:
He has a 2016 which does show the individual tire pressures.

Peter

Then, it has the added convenience of telling you which tire is low. However, having checked the '16 owner's manual, there's no indication that it resets any different than previous years. If you rotate the tires and it doesn't reset and you need to take it to the dealer to have it....makes no sense to me that this would be an occurrence that only the dealer could remedy unless there's a fault in the system. However, I know nothing from the '16 model as I have a '15. So, I guess if you are going to rotate the tires yourself, it will be a gamble. Will it reset itself or will I need to take to the dealer to have this done? I'm betting it's the former. :thumbsup:

Then, it has the added convenience of telling you which tire is low. However, having checked the '16 owner's manual, there's no indication that it resets any different than previous years. If you rotate the tires and it doesn't reset and you need to take it to the dealer to have it....makes no sense to me that this would be an occurrence that only the dealer could remedy unless there's a fault in the system. However, I know nothing from the '16 model as I have a '15. So, I guess if you are going to rotate the tires yourself, it will be a gamble. Will it reset itself or will I need to take to the dealer to have this done? I'm betting it's the former. :thumbsup:
There was much discussion on that in another thread recently.:D

I think I ran across that thread at some point. But, what makes sense to you. Do you think Ford would add the convenience of 4 tire monitoring without continuing the added convenience of automatic reset after doing any number or repairs or a simple rotation? I'm betting they don't regress the technology by elimination of the automatic reset. :salute:

I would bet that the automatic reset still exists, but the actual location of the wheels is an act in telepathy that the car does not yet possess.

I'll find out when I put my snow tires on.

So any update on this? I rotated my tires but believe the system now sees the tires at the wrong location, the tires are passing along the air pressure info but showing up where they used to be. I have a '16 XLT. So is the TPMS19 tool required to get the system to recognize the new location of the tires after rotation, is this the right tool to do the job on the '16? I did try letting the air out of the tire when in the re-learn mode as some suggested, maybe that worked on the old models, that didn't work on mine.

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorcraft-TP...001FKSNUI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I think, apart from verifying the tool, post 13 pretty well sums up the issue.

Peter

Not really sure where to share this, don't really think it warrants it's own thread, but if it needs to be moved I'm sure peterk9 or smoke will do the deed. :) Anyway, just rotated the tires (front to back, no criss-cross) on my '17 XLT while I was doing the brake calipers as I am nearly at 10,000 miles. Wondering about how to 'fix' the TPMS and not finding anything of substance regarding it in the owners manual and after no 100% 'yes' or 'no' answer here I called my uncle (who is a Ford mechanic) for some advice. He said that everything should 'move on its own.'

Took the Ex out for the first time since the rotation today and, yes, the monitor is showing that the tires have been rotated (for whatever reason my front tires always were one pound lower than the rear, now it is the opposite.) Hopefully this will help save someone from a great deal of reading up on the issue in the future.

TL;DR

Each TPMS emits a different code and the Ex tracks where each code is coming from. You shouldn't have to do anything to reset anything after a tire rotation (at least in regards to '17 MY.)

@supr squirrel - thanks for this. I have been scratching my head after consulting multiple resources with no definite answer on the tire rotation. I'm curious however, what is it that you are doing with the calipers at 10K?

@supr squirrel - thanks for this. I have been scratching my head after consulting multiple resources with no definite answer on the tire rotation. I'm curious however, what is it that you are doing with the calipers at 10K?
Sorry, typed my message a little late at night and probably should have clarified it more. Nothing was wrong with the calipers, I just had to remove the wheels to paint them. Since I was so close to 10,000 miles, anyway, figured I'd go ahead and rotate the tires while I was at it. G2's paint brushes on and adds a protective layer to the calipers so they won't rust, plus it adds (at least IMO, yours may vary, haha) a bit of 'flair' to the vehicle. :) It's not Brembos, but talking the wife into something like that likely wasn't going to happen. :p

Not really sure where to share this, don't really think it warrants it's own thread, but if it needs to be moved I'm sure peterk9 or smoke will do the deed. :) Anyway, just rotated the tires (front to back, no criss-cross) on my '17 XLT while I was doing the brake calipers as I am nearly at 10,000 miles. Wondering about how to 'fix' the TPMS and not finding anything of substance regarding it in the owners manual and after no 100% 'yes' or 'no' answer here I called my uncle (who is a Ford mechanic) for some advice. He said that everything should 'move on its own.'

Took the Ex out for the first time since the rotation today and, yes, the monitor is showing that the tires have been rotated (for whatever reason my front tires always were one pound lower than the rear, now it is the opposite.) Hopefully this will help save someone from a great deal of reading up on the issue in the future.

TL;DR

Each TPMS emits a different code and the Ex tracks where each code is coming from. You shouldn't have to do anything to reset anything after a tire rotation (at least in regards to '17 MY.)
Interesting info re the TPMS situation. My dealer always does the rotation when I have the Winter/OEM wheels swapped and I always asked then to do front to back and not to criss-cross them. They always do the TPMS setup as well. If I remember, I'll ask them about the apparent 'self learning' of the TPMS.
Thanks again. ( Haven't found another appropriate thread to move this too.:D)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I rotated my tires a few months ago and had to re-set the system to recognize where the tires were after rotation. I did not use a TPMS tool, just followed a setup routine and lowered the pressure in each tire as the car learned the new location from that. Note for some reason the re-learn would not "take" until I drove the vehicle for a week, someone said you need to put 20 miles on it. Why that is I have no idea, at first it wouldn't work , I drove it a week then re-tried and it worked fine.

Here is that discussion on how I reset them, pretty simple after you figure it out (like everything). My Ford Explorer is a '16 XLT and each tire pressure is displayed on the screen by location, so if you switch them around you need to tell the system where the tire ended up. It did not learn automatically as has been suggested. Here that link...
go down the page a bit for my post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...g-tool-for-2016-explorer.452355/#post-3572438

Back