To add to my hate of this vehicle, A/C died | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To add to my hate of this vehicle, A/C died

machine4321

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 sport
So I have narrowed it down to the ac compressor/clutch not engaging.

I havent got my multi meter on the plug to make sure its getting voltage but I though I would ask if anyone has had any issues with the a/c? Compressor is spinning freely by hand so at least it isnt seized. I really dont feel like spending 700+ just for the part + having the system recharged.

I did check the a/c clutch fuse aswell and it was good.

I was pretty sure I bought a newer vehicle so I didnt have to work on them anymore........sigh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its getting voltage check the resistance on the 2 leads on the a/c clutch without it hooked up and compare with specs. Might just be able to change the clutch and coil part?

Have you put gauges on your A/C system? If there is no charge (due to leak) then the compressor won't engage. This is more common than a dead clutch.

As far as A/C leaks, my 2013 had one at one of the condenser connections. Bad o-ring.

Hoping so, I guess its time to buy a service manual.....I thought these days were behind me lol.

At least its in a decent spot. I can get to the plug from the bottom with out to much work.

Hoping so, I guess its time to buy a service manual.....I thought these days were behind me lol.

At least its in a decent spot. I can get to the plug from the bottom with out to much work.

You may want to look at your local library's website. A lot of library's have access to repair guide websites such as chilton library or Alldata.

Have you put gauges on your A/C system? If there is no charge (due to leak) then the compressor won't engage. This is more common than a dead clutch.

As far as A/C leaks, my 2013 had one at one of the condenser connections. Bad o-ring.

No I havent, I didnt realize that it wont engage if low. I was able to spin the outer portion of the pulley and there didnt seem to be any resistance. But at the speed I was spinning (just a quick push with finger) there probably wouldnt be much.

You could also use a jumper wire at your low psi switch which will engage your clutch even if you have a low charge. This will tell you if your control circuit is good.You could also feed the connector for the clutch 12v and see if it engages,then you know the clutch is good.

You could also use a jumper wire at your low psi switch which will engage your clutch even if you have a low charge. This will tell you if your control circuit is good.You could also feed the connector for the clutch 12v and see if it engages,then you know the clutch is good.

It's no longer a switch but a sensor/transducer. I don't know if low charge is short to ground or short to voltage.

The sensor will be closed when system has freon and open circuit when system is too low. If you jump pins it sends power to the clutch

I Need to make sure the plug I had a hold of was for the Clutch, I dont want to go throwing 12v into a 5v circut. It was hard to see where the harness originated from.

The sensor will be closed when system has freon and open circuit when system is too low. If you jump pins it sends power to the clutch

You are thinking of the old wiring style with a switch with two pins that is inline with the clutch.

The new explorer is a 3 wire pressure transducer which is wired to the PCM, PCM using this signal determines clutch engagement and grounds out the AC clutch relay.

I Need to make sure the plug I had a hold of was for the Clutch, I dont want to go throwing 12v into a 5v circut. It was hard to see where the harness originated from.

You need to just find the A/C clutch relay remove it and put 12v power to pin 5 of the relay holder. Pin 5 runs straight to the clutch.

Thanks for all the info guys, been a big help. I will take it to get the system tested and hope its just a leak. Priced out the compressor at 700 us so my hope is the clutch or a leak. I cant probably fix the clutch, I would even dig into the compressor and see how it goes lol, I like to learn.

You are thinking of the old wiring style with a switch with two pins that is inline with the clutch.

The new explorer is a 3 wire pressure transducer which is wired to the PCM, PCM using this signal determines clutch engagement and grounds out the AC clutch relay.

yeah gotcha,transducer now.Thinking old school.Yes 12v to pin5 engages clutch from relay. It is very likely your system is just low on freon, most common diagnose.

Was the clutch making any noise before the system failed?

Mine was making clicking noises. Unfortunately, from everything I've seen and read, it is not possible to just replace the clutch.

Was the clutch making any noise before the system failed?

Mine was making clicking noises. Unfortunately, from everything I've seen and read, it is not possible to just replace the clutch.

It is if it's on the 3.5 engines (part# FB5Z19D786B).

The 2.0 Ecoboost (or even the 2.3) has a variable displacement compressor so there shouldn't even be a clutch. It uses an internal solenoid to change the pitch of the wobble plate in the compressor. Pitch angle of 0 (parallel with the face of the pulley) means the pistons of the compressor are not moving so no strain on the engine (acts just like a freewheeling pulley). Higher pitch angle (like 45) causes the pistons to go up and down and adds load.

The sudden engagement of the clutch on a small engine like the 4 cylinder ecoboost adds a significant "jolt" to the engine. With this design, the load can be gradually added.

Here is some knowledge ****:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPuYF0eNK6M

It is if it's on the 3.5 engines (part# FB5Z19D786B).
Interesting. The anytimefordparts.com site lists the replacement pulley and clutch. For a 2011, it's shown as EB5Z19D786A

The Fordparts.com site lists the part, but does not reference it in the replacement parts for a 2011.

A search on the part number above and the references were to the 3.5 police interceptor in '15 and '16, though it may fit other years and models.

Interesting link. Thanks for sharing. Hadn't seen that before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did notice that when starting from a stop i could hear noise that would vary with engine speed. When I turned of the climate the sound would go away. Very hard sound to explain. Im not surprised as the only explaination for the sound.

Back