To add to my hate of this vehicle, A/C died | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To add to my hate of this vehicle, A/C died

I did notice that when starting from a stop i could hear noise that would vary with engine speed. When I turned of the climate the sound would go away. Very hard sound to explain. Im not surprised as the only explaination for the sound.
Is yours a V6 or the EcoBoost?

My V6 had a clicking noise when the AC was off. Sounded like the compressor clutch was about to fail. Don't know if that was ultimately the problem as I traded it for my '16 before spending the money to find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is yours a V6 or the EcoBoost?

My V6 had a clicking noise when the AC was off. Sounded like the compressor clutch was about to fail. Don't know if that was ultimately the problem as I traded it for my '16 before spending the money to find out.
I don't believe an Ecoboost engine was available in the 2013 XLT. That was the year it first came out in the Sport if I'm not mistaken.

Peter

Bump back up, Ive got my forscan going to check a/c operations and I got a p1464 code on the pcm test (a/c pressure sensor) Its reading 15psi on forscan but I dont know if it is the high pressure or low pressure switch I need to look into. I did read on here somone else has a LP sensor issue. Am I missing on where to find the PID to check it out. Ive gone through the PCM and HVAC.

Thanks

Welcome to my hell.

I replaced the compressor last year and just had to replace one of the refrigerant lines. The line runs all the way to the back of the vehicle but is VERY close to the exhaust at the front end. Because it is close, they wrap it insulation. The insulation traps grit and road salt which corrode the line, accelerated perhaps by the repeated heating and cooling and possible mechanical agitation as well(?). Ford calls for 9 HOURS labor!!!! to replace the line because the entire subframe assembly is to be removed. My local shop was able to do it in a couple of hours by buying the line but only splicing in the needed section. Interesting that my small town shop (pop. ~4,000) had already seen this failure before... So, ~$800 last year and another ~$700 this year.

A/C lines have been on vehicles for decades yet somehow Ford managed to screw up the design.

Thanks, Ford.

Just plugged a cheap gauge on and got 0psi. Gauge didn't move at all. I guess that's my starting spot. I will look over the line and hope I can find an issue and not have to pay for a fill with dye in it just to find the leak.

Welcome to my hell.

I replaced the compressor last year and just had to replace one of the refrigerant lines. The line runs all the way to the back of the vehicle but is VERY close to the exhaust at the front end. Because it is close, they wrap it insulation. The insulation traps grit and road salt which corrode the line, accelerated perhaps by the repeated heating and cooling and possible mechanical agitation as well(?). Ford calls for 9 HOURS labor!!!! to replace the line because the entire subframe assembly is to be removed. My local shop was able to do it in a couple of hours by buying the line but only splicing in the needed section. Interesting that my small town shop (pop. ~4,000) had already seen this failure before... So, ~$800 last year and another ~$700 this year.

A/C lines have been on vehicles for decades yet somehow Ford managed to screw up the design.

Thanks, Ford.
Thanks. I will look in that area.

So I have narrowed it down to the ac compressor/clutch not engaging.

I havent got my multi meter on the plug to make sure its getting voltage but I though I would ask if anyone has had any issues with the a/c? Compressor is spinning freely by hand so at least it isnt seized. I really dont feel like spending 700+ just for the part + having the system recharged.

I did check the a/c clutch fuse aswell and it was good.

I was pretty sure I bought a newer vehicle so I didnt have to work on them anymore........sigh
I have a '16 Sport. I just had my compressor clutch blow up....replaced under warranty. Thank god for warranty work. I'm a little worried about the vehicle now. I already had a PTU replaced due to it was cracked.

Well I decided to dump the 13 for a 17 sport (demo). Hopefully I won't have any major issues but extended warranty will be happening on this one.

Well I decided to dump the 13 for a 17 sport (demo). Hopefully I won't have any major issues but extended warranty will be happening on this one.
Congratulations on the 'new' Sport. Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks. Really enjoying it...so far lol. Lots of nice improvments

Back