To KKM or not to KKM, that is the ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To KKM or not to KKM, that is the ?

k1ckb0x3r

Reaction score
OK, I now this subject has been beaten to death but I've done a little research and opening it up again. The question is, should I get a KKM induction kit? I have did a search on this message board and have read through the several other posts on this topic. Most of the people that put one on say they love it and it really makes a difference they can feel. Now, I noticed that most of these people made this change during the winter months. (October-February) I have also read several posts where people stated that using the KKM caused their Explorer to overheat because it was sucking in hot engine air. I also read a post where one guys engine died because it sucked in water when he went through a puddle. (don't they advertise that this system is LESS susceptible to sucking in water?) I live in Oklahoma so the summers are really hot, usually anywhere from 95-105 degrees. That means it probably twice as hot under the hood and my Explorer is black which probably doesn't help much. I have also read posts where people notice a whistling or whining sound after installing the KKM induction kit. I bought some foil like insulation last night cause I was going to insulate my air intake then run some tubing to the front to suck in the cold outer air but I started having second thoughts. I guess the only way that I will really ever know is to buy one and put in on there, huh? On a little different note, where does your needle usually sit on the temp gauge? (98 model) Mine sits right below the picture of the temperature. It's about a 1/3 below half. Is this normal or do I need to change my thermostat? (I think I have the towing package).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my KKM on my '93 I haven't had any problems with overheating or poor performance even in Phoenix's 110+ summer.

I don't know where the stock air intake is on your '98, but on the intake on the '93 is jsut lower than the headlight. The KKM is much higher than that. Of course it's not a snorkle and eventually you will be able to drown it with enough water.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

Well I too was wondering this. I have the K&N version of the KKM, its basicly the same thing. Now I too bought it in the winter, about a month ago. So far I love it. I am concerned about the summer months also. You were saying about running tubes and insulating your current air box. I was thinking if it were possible to do the same to a KKM, or FIPK? To have some sort of enclosure around the conical filter, and run hoses to get fresh cool air? Just an idea I dont know if something would even fit. I know that my K&N is a pretty snug. Just an idea. What do you think? I have yet to go to Home depot, and scavenge around for a way to make this work. But it seems like a good idea, right?
Also about the whinning, or whistling. The only thing I hear is a sucking noise. and I like it. It almost makes the truck sound like it has a turbo sucking in air. Well hope I helped a bit.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

I did not like the KKm system I did not like how it mounted the engine conpartment. It gave good power but it was not too much more than the k&n with the holes in the airbox. the other complant was I had a heater hose blow and it got th fliter wet and that was scary.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attempting 4x4 convertion
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

I have a 94 exp. and was able to get great results by simply cutting off the bottom of my air box, molding the bottom with metal for strength and remounting it. This also allowed me to remove the plastic air duct running from the airbox to the front grill where the air used to come in. This was good because there was a sensor in this duct that had something to do with exhaust pressure, it was a large tube connected my headers to my airbox. The sensor was busted so i pulled it out, sealed the vacuum tube, and capped off my headers. My truck definetly runs better. I don't know if this helps with your 98' but i hope so.

Back