• Register Today It's free!

Tonneau cover suggestions

01DeepBlue

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I'm looking to buy a tonneau cover for my truck and wanted to get some opinions on what ones most of you guys like. I have seen many different designs by multiple manufacturers and want to know the likes or dislikes of the ones some of you have.
I'm straying towards either the roll up type with Velcro or some kind of bi-fold type but wanted to hear opinions on anything out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really like my factory one and never thought I'd buy one or like them until I stumbled across one on craigslist at a great price. I figured I'd try it out and sell it a couple weeks later if I didn't like it. It's still on there and I don't plan to remove it.

I've had several factory folding tonneau covers and soft roll up covers over the years and like them both. The soft covers out there suck in the winter because the vinyl shrinks, stiffens and easily rips. There's no real security with soft covers either. The factory cover lock on both sides and are solid enough to jump and load heavey things on top of them.

I have a factory cover for sale with the mounting brackets and key included if you're interested.

picture.php

IMG_4143.jpg

MidnightRebel07, maybe you can email me and we can talk about it. Problem is you are in the western side of PA. I'm close to the eastern side. I'm still debating what to buy. I saw aftermarket ones out there as well and I want to know what everybody else's opinions are.

Prove the factory is better
20131109_151252_zps81df0cde.jpg

I have a torza top. Its a tri fold soft one. Love it. I takes seconds to fold and get out of the way, and only a few more second to get off the truck. It has held up good -- although I would not stand on it like that good looking girl did in the post prior!

When I had my Sport Trac I order a new tonneau from hitchanything.com after someone rear ended me and messed up my factory one. It was a solid replacement. I can't remember what brand but there were several to choose from.

I had a solid hard ARE brand on my other ST, didn't like it as much as my factory folding cover I have now. I have the soft roll up style on my F150 it does pretty good but not very secure. I would search CL for a factory style with brackets and keys.

I wound up buying a slightly beat up factory cover off of CL in Scranton, PA a few weeks ago. I think I paid too much for it though. I bought it at night so I couldn't really see it very well. The guy was asking $200 with no brackets or bolts and it was left outside for quite some time. It had light scratches on the top, the underside was sun faded, and the metal pivots were showing some rust. Also, the left bungee was torn and the plastic button it stowed on was missing.
I didn't realize it at the time but it only had one key since he replaced the back lock so I didn't get a key for the front one. And lastly I didn't notice until the next day but the front right corner had some cracks in the fiberglass from being dropped at some point. You can't tell unless you look pretty closely but it's still there.
I only paid $170 but even that was too high. At least it's a quality Ford cover and I did buy the bungee/button kit from Ford(only $19). Now, I just need to buy the 2 pairs of brackets and 12 bolts online. It holds itself down in the middle with the 2 pivot pins for now.

I have a torza top. Its a tri fold soft one. Love it. I takes seconds to fold and get out of the way, and only a few more second to get off the truck. It has held up good -- although I would not stand on it like that good looking girl did in the post prior!

How does it mount to the st? Any chance of getting a picture?

sorry I can't get you a pic because I sold my ST. The cover came with black rails that bolt into existing holes (no drilling) with two bolts on each side. The rails only are about a half inch wide so they do not keep you from being able to use the full bed. Then the tonneau is held on by two quick release clamps attached to the tonneau.

I am looking at getting the same exact brand for my new truck. That or I am reading good things about a tri fold from Tonno Pro.

sorry I can't get you a pic because I sold my ST. The cover came with black rails that bolt into existing holes (no drilling) with two bolts on each side. The rails only are about a half inch wide so they do not keep you from being able to use the full bed. Then the tonneau is held on by two quick release clamps attached to the tonneau.

I am looking at getting the same exact brand for my new truck. That or I am reading good things about a tri fold from Tonno Pro.

That's what I needed to know. The gator tri fold pro cover has you remove the exterior tiedowns. I am not a fan of that. I was hoping the advantage one had you install rails. Did the cover sit on top on the bed then like it should?

We're you able to keep the bed extender inside the bed still?

Which holes did you use for mounting the rails? The middle of the three? Or one of the upper ones? Also, was your tailgate really tight to close?

I believe the middle. It did not affect my tailgait at all. It had a rubber flap that comes down to seal the gap.

I believe the middle. It did not affect my tailgait at all. It had a rubber flap that comes down to seal the gap.

What about the bolts in the center of each side? It's for the pins for the factory cover. The top bolt is directly where the rail is supposed to go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not used with soft folding cover.

Back