• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter drain plug.

Naumann

Reaction score
City, State
Chula Vista,CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ranger 4.0 Auto
[SIIZE="4"][/SIZE] I just joined. I'm in the process of changing the transmission fluid in my '91 Ranger 4.0. I got the pan drained, but now I have to drain the torque converter. I can't find the drain plug on it. I pulled the starter and used a screwdriver to rotate the flywheel, but the plug isn't there. Do any of you know where the plug might be located on this transmission? The manual says there is an access plate on the lower left hand side, but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

Naumann

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you know come to think of it, i don't recall ever seeing a drain plug on a4ld torque converters... looks like you'll just have to turn a blind eye to the fluid trapped in the converter.

Welcome to the forum!

There may not be a drain plug. I seem to recall talk of Ford "cheaping out" and not adding a drain plug to these TCs.

You could do a complete trans flush, or just change the fluid in the pan a couple times and call it good.

or you could do it the really lazy way like i do... remove a trans cooling line (place end in bucket) start engine and let it run until the trans fluid all pumps out (but not any longer!)

works great and you don't have to drop the pan and get an ATF shower.

rhauf:
I agree with you that there may not be a plug in the converter. Your suggestions for putting the hose in a bucket and running the engine sound good. However, my dilemma is knowing which line goes back to the transmission. Is it the top or bottom line? Do you know which line it is? Thanks!
Naumann

Top line on the transmission is the return, there is no drain plug on the converter.

I changed my fluid by letting it drain into a bucket and filled the pan through the dipstick tube as it pumped out the old fluid. I didn't let it run dry, didn't think that would be a good idea. Let it pump until it runs clean, adjust the level and you are good to go.

rhauf:
I agree with you that there may not be a plug in the converter. Your suggestions for putting the hose in a bucket and running the engine sound good. However, my dilemma is knowing which line goes back to the transmission. Is it the top or bottom line? Do you know which line it is? Thanks!
Naumann

yeah as wood said, top line returns to the trans.

so pull off the bottom line, put a short piece of old scrap garden hose over it and put the other end of the garden hose in the bucket. thats the easiest way.

remember almost all radiators pump the fluid from the bottom, to the top.

Back