Dismiss Notice

to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

torque converter install problems

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by daves97sport, March 22, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. PopRichie77

PopRichie77 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Quakertown, PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
      Using vice grips isn't as bad as it sounds the splines are hard and light taping on the underside should loosen the shaft, just don't get severe. If it comes loose by rotating this is better of course. A lot depends on how hard it was jammed in there.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. einstein55

einstein55 New Member

City, State:
      Sterling, CO
      99 ford explorer sport
      All the info you guys posted really helped with the shaft problem. Question I have is now that trans is installed I am getting extreme vibration from the trans at low rpm and not as bad with high rpm. Is is possible that the trans I installed could have been sitting for a long period causing a sludge to build up in the TC thus causing the vibration. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

4. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      Hey Einstein, welcome to the site. If your TQ had that much crap in it you will have more serious problems shortly with the transmission itself. That's why you never reuse a TQ that was on a transmission that grenades itself, the metallic particles from the old transmission will wreck your new one.

If it isn't your drive shaft I'm not sure what to tell you. It may be an internal issue with the replacement transmission. Hopefully the others will be able to help.

5. einstein55

einstein55 New Member

City, State:
      Sterling, CO
      99 ford explorer sport
      trans vibration

I did use the TQ that came with the new/used trans. Thats why I was curious if it had been sitting around for a while before I got it if the fluid in the TQ could solidify to one side thus causing the vibration while spinning. Should I use the old TQ as I only lost reverse/forward worked. Thanks for the help

6. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      I would be surprised if it were your torque converter. If you do think that it might be worth getting a rebuilt. For the money, it will rule out that as your problem. I wouldn't use the old one if there is crap in it.

7. mixellmaster

mixellmaster New Member

City, State:
      Saint Thomas, PA
      97 XLT AWD 5.0
      For anyone else reading this post for a solution, it's super easy. Put vice grips on center shaft and pull it out. You may tap vice grips with hammer to free it. Then put it back in. The oil left in keeps it from returning to it's seat. Put in and turn until it drops in place so only splines are showing. A lot of trouble for a simple solution.