Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review

Spark plugs from HELL!

So I finally ordered a set TMs,a plenum spacer,ceramic wire insulators,and the small 3/8 bolts as recomended by this thread.I'm trying to get everything I need ahead of time so I'll be prepared.I was going to wait to replace my sparkplugs until I do the headers.Well my truck started running pretty bad and missing under load.I knew the plugs were old because I pulled one when I bought the truck used.Well now it has 180 on it and I think these are the original plugs!D-side came right out,P-side,one easy,one hard,two M-efers!The front two were like part of the head!Both broke instantly.Went and bought an easy out and one came right out,no problem.The other,broke an adapter(too small but all i had) and two 3/8 by 3/8 sockets.I tried shocking it with an impact gun,didnt do anything.I ended up hitting it with an air chisel and then the easy out,that finally got it.

Moral of the story, the easy out WILL work,just need beefy stuff in between the ratchet and the easy out.

Also,to get the broken ceramic out I just started the engine for a second and it popped right out.I'm sure thats been said here before.

Number es5 easy out fits perfect.

Ok,just had to get that off my chest,heres a pic.

DSCF1538.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that's quite the carnage. Hope your knuckles don't look like that too.

I see u ordered the ceramic boot PLUG wires and cover IMO this is a must with TMH i have 16k on mine and they are still working great, Dont cove the cermic boots just the wire,What ones did u order? Dont not touch the ceramic boots when the engine is hot, they are as hot as the headers. Make sure u lube the inside of the boots . I did not get any more MPG but i need a tune, SURE DOES RUN BETER

Wow, that's quite the carnage. Hope your knuckles don't look like that too.

Nope,did it all with the wheels still on with a long extension.I've been slowly loosening all the header bolts with the extension also.I get the engine hot and spray penetrating oil on them.Even leave the engine running!You never know,the extra vibration might help.:D One thing I didnt notice when I bought this truck was how close the guy lived to the ocean!Corrosion city!

I see u ordered the ceramic boot PLUG wires and cover IMO this is a must with TMH i have 16k on mine and they are still working great, Dont cove the cermic boots just the wire,What ones did u order? Dont not touch the ceramic boots when the engine is hot, they are as hot as the headers. Make sure u lube the inside of the boots . I did not get any more MPG but i need a tune, SURE DOES RUN BETER

I did not get the ceramic boot wires yet,I just got the wire covers.I forget the brand I'll have to go look.I'm not changing the wires until I do the headers.If you could give the brand you recomend I would apreciate it.

They are accel 9001C I dont remember the Ex part # I will look out in the shop. I no they are 9000C MUST HAVE A "C" at the end I order a complete set of 115 Degree and then i order 4 With 90 degree. I just wanted to have a few extra JUST TO BE SAVE! This is my D-DRIVER. They have worked great for me. If u do some shopping u can find a deal on them, I think i paid just over $100 after a rebate for all 12, You all so have to order coil ends and boots they are cheap. If u cant find them PM me and i will send u the site. TMH made my MM run GREAT. Later Phil

I'm curious, I'm sure most have noticed over a short amount of time that shine of the headers dulls over. Is that an outter layer of oxidation that can be buffed out? Or is it an irreversible change?

Well, keep in mind it isn't a chrome coating...it's ceramic. So yes, they will tend to dull over time. I've never tried to clean them, but I've been told they will clean up. Try a scotch brite pad...but do so in a hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't put fine, visible scratches in the coating.

Still waiting...ordered on Oct 17, 2011.

Still waiting...ordered on Oct 17, 2011.

Yes, they do take awhile. I got the modified set for a body lift and it took 6 months, but I am so happy I waited for them.

Wow. Have you called and followed up? That's a long time...

Yes,I talked(e-mail) to him just before christmas.I was hoping to have them by Christmas because I was off from work for the week and could have taken my time installing them.He said I was third on the list and had some coming in that week.Havnt seen anything yet.Too cold in my pos garage now to work on it anyway,so its not too bad.Getting tired of my truck,sounds like a hit-n-miss that thinks its a motorboat!

Bumping this thread because it seems to be one of the most plentifully-informative TMH threads on the board.

Just today I received my used set of TM headers, and I've been reading everything I can find on the subject of installation so that I can prepare as much as possible for it. But there is A LOT of info/opinions (everyone always has their own) and it's hard to keep track of all of it. A few questions that I haven't found answers to though...

1) Aside from the volcanic material spark plug heat socks that Celly used, I haven't seen any specifics on the heat socks that others have used, other than "ceramic" at the top of this page. Can someone point me to a good set of heat socks?

2) With the heat socks, has anyone had any luck using a stock-replacement set of spark plug wires? I've read that the #3 wire should be replaced with a longer one. If it needs to be replaced, where can I get just 1 wire, and how long should it be? Are the other 7 wires long enough?

Thanks for the help. I've been waiting 7 years for a chance to get my hands on a set of these, so I can't wait to get them on!

1) Aside from the volcanic material spark plug heat socks that Celly used, I haven't seen any specifics on the heat socks that others have used, other than "ceramic" at the top of this page. Can someone point me to a good set of heat socks?

2) With the heat socks, has anyone had any luck using a stock-replacement set of spark plug wires? I've read that the #3 wire should be replaced with a longer one. If it needs to be replaced, where can I get just 1 wire, and how long should it be? Are the other 7 wires long enough?

For wires this is the best:
u have to order coil boots and they dont have the at summit. http://www.kingsbornewires.com They are EDIS boots $16 for 10 and DT7B-HB Distributor Terminal $ 3.75 for 10 Hope this helps. The ceramic plug wire boots work great for me.;)

I went through two other wire sets before buying these. I tried boots with Aurora wires and I tried the factory wires with heat shields. Couldn't keep them from burning.

Wires: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-9002C/

Distributor Boot S-1731+ Clip: http://www.kingsbornewires.com/cate...9E7FD4D38F9549A77D.qscstrfrnt06?categoryId=96

DT7B-HB Distributor Terminal: http://www.kingsbornewires.com/cate...E7FD4D38F9549A77D.qscstrfrnt06?categoryId=102

Thanks. With that setup you aren't using the heat socks at all?

I was hoping I could avoid replacing my entire wire set because it's less than a year old.

No socks needed. The boots are good up to 1500 degrees.

Are you planning on getting new/longer spark plug cables? Is there ANYONE who has had luck with stock length cables?

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stocks n' socks

Back