Torque Monster headers making comeback ??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster headers making comeback ???

I've developed that tick a while back and have been looking for a set of headers found an original Ford motorsports set from a saleen explorer in good shape but those were way overpriced in my opinion if these tmi Will be produced I deffinately need a set

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somebody on here was talking about making log manifolds for these trucks.... don't think anything came of it? Forgot who it was

I'm in .

I would be in for a set...

Has anyone ever considered modifying a set of JBA's or any other brand so that they would fit in the 5.0 in an Explorer? Is so, what modifications are needed? Or better yet, which brand or set are best to use as a base to make modifications to?

Just for clarity.
Robert had to leave the country, and attempted to hand the production of his headers off to another southern California header shop. Then a "group buy " happened which turned it all to a very bad mess, to say the least. Al's headers has no business being in business as far as I am concerned. 3 times i have been told "the gasket is in the mail" over the years. Although the phone was always answered for me, I gave up.

As far as I know, there were absolutely no issues when Robert ran the show. Once the hand off was made, the game was lost. From what I understand, Al's made these up all along, however it is clear Robert did a lot of the welding himself to keep them flowing out the door.

I doubt China (OBX) would even understand the concept of a group buy. However, I can tell you the original TM price is very fair. There is 275.00 worth of Jet coating on them alone, which is a discounted coating price given for a bulk run. No way around that one, as there is nobody else who can do that 900 degree jet hot cure. Not to mention, one of the bends is formed out of house ( for some reason) and is quite expensive.

I'm in hope this rumor is true. Robert is a great guy, and will deliver. Things will be good in 5.0 land again.

Just for clarity.
Robert had to leave the country, and attempted to hand the production of his headers off to another southern California header shop. Then a "group buy " happened which turned it all to a very bad mess, to say the least. Al's headers has no business being in business as far as I am concerned. 3 times i have been told "the gasket is in the mail" over the years. Although the phone was always answered for me, I gave up.

As far as I know, there were absolutely no issues when Robert ran the show. Once the hand off was made, the game was lost. From what I understand, Al's made these up all along, however it is clear Robert did a lot of the welding himself to keep them flowing out the door.

I doubt China (OBX) would even understand the concept of a group buy. However, I can tell you the original TM price is very fair. There is 275.00 worth of Jet coating on them alone, which is a discounted coating price given for a bulk run. No way around that one, as there is nobody else who can do that 900 degree jet hot cure. Not to mention, one of the bends is formed out of house ( for some reason) and is quite expensive.

I'm in hope this rumor is true. Robert is a great guy, and will deliver. Things will be good in 5.0 land again.

What concerns me is he hasan't even bothered to check this thread with his company name on it.You would think if he was serious about this he would come on here and say HEY GUYS I AM BRINGING THEM BACK ! Its true and orders will be on this date ! WELL ?

When a guy goes overseas as a military contractor, I would assume he has more important things to settle on return. Ya think?

What concerns me is he hasan't even bothered to check this thread with his company name on it.You would think if he was serious about this he would come on here and say HEY GUYS I AM BRINGING THEM BACK ! Its true and orders will be on this date ! WELL ?

When a guy goes overseas as a military contractor, I would assume he has more important things to settle on return. Ya think?

Your missing the point.The point is....... He is advertising that he is going to take orders on his page soon and has made promises that he is getting back into it soon.It takes a whole minute to make a post ! That's all it takes.He has even stated what months he is going to take orders.I expect someone who makes statements to follow thru.If you are going to make a business successful, you need to follow thru with what you say.So far its been disappointments the whole way.Eventually people will get tired of nonsense.Then someone is going to start making something that will work and he will loose customers.Example when OBX came out people went crazy.If they happen to come back to market before he does.Well its not hard to tell what will happen.Especially with the price OBX has.We all have problems in life.

Your missing the point.The point is....... He is advertising that he is going to take orders on his page soon and has made promises that he is getting back into it soon.It takes a whole minute to make a post ! That's all it takes.He has even stated what months he is going to take orders.I expect someone who makes statements to follow thru.If you are going to make a business successful, you need to follow thru with what you say.So far its been disappointments the whole way.Eventually people will get tired of nonsense.Then someone is going to start making something that will work and he will loose customers.Example when OBX came out people went crazy.If they happen to come back to market before he does.Well its not hard to tell what will happen.Especially with the price OBX has.We all have problems in life.

When I got my first set of TM's back in-2006, they were set number 987

Tm's are the big deal, which is why they were copied. OBX did a test run out of china and sold 300 sets in about half a year. . wow. I am sure any big time fab shop would be all over that huge opportunity.:rolleyes:
That being said, when Robert does in fact start taking orders, I bet he's got a run of 20 sets on hand, ready to ship. His message should have read "start saving now"

These aren't Mustangs or Camaros ya know-Summit sells about 30 sets of mustang headers per day I would guess. I bet a run of 20 of these headers will sit over 2 months. If he does start taking orders, it is because he likes us.

I wouldn't consider obx headers if I had no manifolds at all and was offered a set for $400. You get what you pay for. With that being said I would patiently wait for TM'S to come back out or fab up your own (I have considered this myself)

When I got my first set of TM's back in-2006, they were set number 987

Tm's are the big deal, which is why they were copied. OBX did a test run out of china and sold 300 sets in about half a year. . wow. I am sure any big time fab shop would be all over that huge opportunity.:rolleyes:
That being said, when Robert does in fact start taking orders, I bet he's got a run of 20 sets on hand, ready to ship. His message should have read "start saving now"

These aren't Mustangs or Camaros ya know-Summit sells about 30 sets of mustang headers per day I would guess. I bet a run of 20 of these headers will sit over 2 months. If he does start taking orders, it is because he likes us.

OBX no longer is selling the headers.They just dropped off the face of the earth and abruptly quit production of them.If they continued to sell them the numbers would of been much higher then you are claiming.They never had much of a time frame to sell a large amount.That is not a fair judgement.Also not everyone had a hard time fitting them.Just certain members had to do more work then others.You also can't judge interest of these headers with today's market compared to 2006.Things are different now and these vehicles cost like 1800$ on craigslist all day long or cheaper.A 2001 explorer would of still costed a decent amount in 2006.Now that depreciation has hit bad,people will have come extra $ for mods since not all of the money was spent on acquiring the vehicle.Also with cheaper vehicles come's people not wanting to spend almost 800$ on a item for a vehicle that was only 1500- 1800.However since no other header options are available people will have to pay up.But that's if they are ever even made.Thats if he steps up.

I've been to custom shops down here, places that have done insane custom header builds, no go. They all took 1 look and said nope, even showing them the TM threads on here to show what was done. Making me want to just junk the truck, I just keep it around, but especially now that its getting cooler out, the manifold tick sound is so loud it makes the truck sound ghetto inside even with custom exhaust and intake. Gets better when fully warmed up but its still there.

I was thinking of playing around with it, maybe doing an engine build, cam swap etc.... but w/o a header option its all completely pointless.

That's crazy that a custom shop refused to do custom work lmao

again, if this ever gains any traction, I am in it for a set.

That's crazy that a custom shop refused to do custom work lmao
Multiple shops, and these are places that do insane custom builds. They just don't want to deal with the layout, which who can blame them, these trucks by far have the worst layout for manifold of any vehicle lol. Look at how many Explorers they've made and how many are still on the road. Now look at other trucks, Tahoes etc, you can find headers whether short or long tube for basically any other truck on the road.... save for 5.0 Explorers lol.

Someone on here talked about making log manifolds and even drew up a schematic of them I think, but I can't find the post.

If I was in the need for headers and couldn't get a hold of a set of TM'S or FMS headers then I would try to make mine from coyote headers.

Take a look at 11-14 5.0 mustang factory manifolds, they are formed just like FMS headers. They have the same steering shaft and tower clearance issues as explorers. The only difference is they go too far back with the outlet. With some cutting welding and a new flange swapped on they would be the easiest factory manifolds to modify.

If I was in the need for headers and couldn't get a hold of a set of TM'S or FMS headers then I would try to make mine from coyote headers.

Take a look at 11-14 5.0 mustang factory manifolds, they are formed just like FMS headers. They have the same steering shaft and tower clearance issues as explorers. The only difference is they go too far back with the outlet. With some cutting welding and a new flange swapped on they would be the easiest factory manifolds to modify.

I have been toying with the idea of modifying mustang headers. I would like to maybe try this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I was going to go the custom header route, I would first change to a rear mounted ( bronco 2) fuel tank to free up the collector routing on the driver side.

Back