1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

torque value for trans. oil pan bolts? (A4LD)

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by saxon, April 12, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. saxon

saxon Active Member

City, State:
      seattle, wa
      Year and Model:
      '91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
      Haynes, thoughtfully, does not list a torque value for the trans. oil pan bolts. As a starting point, I torqued the bolts to 92 inch/lbs. I'm sure that the correct value is more than that.

Anyone?

btw, I just ordered the A4LD Ford manual today along with the Transgo VB kit and the Viton reverse servo seals.

model: 91 4WD EB

Last edited: April 12, 2006
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. vanionBB

vanionBB Member

City, State:
      Kennewick, WA
      Year and Model:
      Explorer 1996 XLT
      Pan bolts are rated at like 75 inch pounds if you read the manual, but I just torqued mine to 10 ft*lbs and it worked just fine. My Chilton manual suggests 8-10 ft*lbs, so that is what I used. Hope that helps :)

Cheers!

4. vanionBB

vanionBB Member

City, State:
      Kennewick, WA
      Year and Model:
      Explorer 1996 XLT
      Really 8-10 ft*lbs is all you need. If it leaks go to 11 ft*lbs, wont hurt anything. Just dont go too far or you will strip the threads in the tranny, it is aluminum. I dont have an inch pound setting on my torque wrench, im cheap :p

5. saxon

saxon Active Member

City, State:
      seattle, wa
      Year and Model:
      '91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
      thanks for the info.

I guessed at 7.66 ft/lbs., so I was pretty close. Will tighten then up tomorrow evening.

Thanks!