Solved - Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for! | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Is it possible to do a spring over axle converstion or will that not work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure, lots of members have went SOA. You need some weld on perches, and a few other odds and ends like extended brake lines. SOA gets 4-5 inches of lift.

That is the same thing I just did to my 2000 XLS, with the 4 in rear lift, and the tortion twist, the rear on mine sets about one inch higher, it really isnt that noticeable, I would recommend replacing the shocks tho, I used the Superlift Monotube shocks, and they ride really good. as for the drive shaft, im still using the stock one, ill replace it before i lift mine more

How long have you had this lift? Superlift says that the stock driveshaft will only last 20k to 30k miles? Do you think this is true? In the future my truck will be like yours just with an added body lift though.

this is on my brothers,it has about 20,000 miles on it. It depends thou, some will break, and some will last a long time. he hasnt had any problems out of it yet. the best thing to do is when you put it on, take the driveshaft off and measure the distance from the t-case to the diff, Im not shure of the tollerance for the stock one, if it looks too short, take it to a good driveshaft shop and have it lenghtened

If i dont have a spring over axle conversion will this still heighten my truck? because this lift comes with blocks and my truck is spring under axle. What did you do? Did you put this on a stock X?

If i dont have a spring over axle conversion will this still heighten my truck? because this lift comes with blocks and my truck is spring under axle. What did you do? Did you put this on a stock X?

The superlift lift is only a taller and stiffer leaf pack, it dosnt have blocks, so yes, it will work with a stock X

has anyone heard anything about the drop keys that avs makes. im probably the only one in here talkin about lowering it but if anyone in here has happened to heard anything about them let me know

has anyone heard anything about the drop keys that avs makes. im probably the only one in here talkin about lowering it but if anyone in here has happened to heard anything about them let me know

"flipping" your torsion keys-if done safely, will drop the front as low as you really want to go with the stock upper ball joints. The aftermarket keys may save you a bit of grinding though.

I have my right key flipped and unaltered. The height changing keys were about $95 a pair when I bought the lowering set. I shall rebuild my front end this week with those keys, they came from Total Performance. Regards,

How am I supposed to know when it's level with the rear? The 2nd gen Explorer body is kinda weird, the top of the wheel well things is lower than the front.. which no matter what you do makes it look sagging.. [unless your rear was higher than the front]

What's the best way to measure to see if it's all leveled out?

I figure for the TT, measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground.. but the back will be all weird... so idk

Did you ever figure out a good way to level the front and back? I don't think the wheel wells are the height, and I really am not fond of just eye balling it.

Measure from the bottom lip of the doors, maybe?

Hey guys I did the shackles in the back over the weekend and am now sitting at 35 in the wheel well directly above the axle.. I am @ 33 1/2 in the front but my Tbar bolts are severly rusted and i sprayed them but they seem to be pretty bad shape... would maybe backing them off to loosen it up be a good idea and then go up higher? or what should I do. I don't want to break them and the vehicle is on a lift in the air when I do this... I just know if I hit a bump that front ends gonna rip my fog light area of my bumper off at the bottom lip there is .5 in clearence.... help me out here guys

Got em tonight.. i'm at 35.25 but wheel shakes when i'm turning the steering wheel now? almost like the pumps not workin fully or something binding... did I make my cv's mad maybe??? :( I think i made her mad at me or somethin I kno I'm not the first one.. I'm gonna start searching on this

You might have gone over the angle threshold?

Any change in the front height requires a front end alignment. Don't change the height until you have an appointment set.

well... whoops cause I sure did it already guess I'll run up and have em realign it for me then don't need to ruin my brand new 31's

which way do you crank the bars

Remove the bolts to lower the truck, you can do that without raising it up. To lift it, first lift the front tires off of the ground. Then crank the bolts inward, there is a lot of pressure on the bolts.

TT raise/twist

can you raise the torison bars on an 05 trac with a brushguard? i only want to raise it bout an inch to level it out with the back. will this hurt anything? i will definately have the front end re-aligned after messing with the torison bars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back