Solved - Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for! | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
All right, I've bee reading for 30 minutes and my eyes are bleeding, so I'm tired of looking for the answer. Therefore, I'm posting my question. I just tried to do my TT and literally sheered my 1/4" drive in F&$%ing half. I'm irritated as hell right now because I read that this can be done with the wheels on the ground, and hell no, on mine, it cannot. I soaked the hell out of them with PB Blaster for 3 straight days, and this still happened. I need help, preferably ASAP. BTW, it was a Stanley socket set, so no it wasn't a crap set. Thank you in advance.

Lowering may be fine on the ground, but I wouldn't raise with the wheels on the ground.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you need a more manly wrench. A 1/4 in ratchet isn't up to the job. Get a bigger ratchet and give it another go. I think I did my tt (lift)with it on the ground, but I'm not positive.

I think you need a more manly wrench. A 1/4 in ratchet isn't up to the job. Get a bigger ratchet and give it another go. I think I did my tt (lift)with it on the ground, but I'm not positive.

Well, I was gonna say that I was heading to the hardware store to buy a bigger driver, but my dad found his old 1/2" drive socket set, so I threw a 13MM socket on a breaker bar, and that worked the sucker just right. Arms are sore as anything, but she's finally a little more even. It's a shame though that I noticed that all the shackles seemed to do was even out the rear with the front, which I guess is due to my 100+ lbs of subwoofer equipment in the back :rolleyes: I'm now sitting at a little over 34" in the front wellwheels, just over 33" in the driver rear, and 33.5" in the passenger rear (from wheelwell to ground) Hope to start the PA 883 Lift this week, and then throw my BFG 33s on soon. Thanks again for the help guys. PS I lifted it while it was on the ground, too lazy to get my jacks back out, and it seemed like it was a little tougher, but it worked out just fine, FYI. :salute:

If you are working on the torsion bar adjustment bolt, do that with the tires off of the ground. Cranking the bolts in(up) is too hard with the tires down, but loosening them isn't bad with the tires down.

Warrior Shackles

do the warrior shackles work on the rangers as well i would imagine they do but im not sure. Anyone have any other ideas on a cheap lift for a 03 ranger

No - the Ranger's shackles has a bushing on one end where as the Explorer's is just a simple "H" design.

Ranger shackles:
shack.ford.rang.jpg

do the warrior shackles work on the rangers as well i would imagine they do but im not sure. Anyone have any other ideas on a cheap lift for a 03 ranger
Is the 03 Ranger a spring over axle? I think it is. If so, your cheapest rear lift would be blocks.

Ya it's spring over so block for the back and torsion twist for the front?

Sounds like a plan to me :)

I have Warrior shackles and AAL in the rear, and I tried to level out the front to match the rear, but the driver's side bottomed out 1/2" short. My question is, if I want to use a longer bolt on the driver's side, can I just unscrew the existing one safely, or do I need to use some sort of special procedure?

You can remove it, I suggest lifting the front just for ease on everything.. but keep in mind.. no more than 2".

Just so everyone knows I did try the search function first, but was not able to find anything. I was wondering, is there any modification that can be done to adjust the CV and ball joints that would allow for a higher TT lift on a 2nd or 3rd gen Xsport? (preferably a 3rd gen for I have an '03) Or maybe some sort of upgraded CV joint? Anything at all that would allow for more lift without killing the CV joints. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't think there would be any aftermarket cv half shafts that would better than factory. I assume having custom half shafts made would be expensive.

Just so everyone knows I did try the search function first, but was not able to find anything. I was wondering, is there any modification that can be done to adjust the CV and ball joints that would allow for a higher TT lift on a 2nd or 3rd gen Xsport? (preferably a 3rd gen for I have an '03) Or maybe some sort of upgraded CV joint? Anything at all that would allow for more lift without killing the CV joints. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

To go extreme on this--
Dixon brother use modified Porsche cv shafts I do believe.

http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/view/8/6/

Does anyone have any pictures of their IFS from the front at stock height and after a TT so i can compare the angle of the cv shafts to mine? I want to do a TT but i was at the dealership recently and they told me that my truck wasnt sitting level bc the front is tightened up. I dont believe this bc i am the original owner and no one has ever messed with the torsion bars. I dont want to over-tighten my torsion bars and beak any cv joints. Or if you have measurements from the ground to the fenders before and after a TT that would be A LOT of help to me. Thanks

I would assume they are wrong simply because they are the dealer. Your truck isn't sitting level because the ass is sagging, not because the front is lifted.

I would assume they are wrong simply because they are the dealer. Your truck isn't sitting level because the ass is sagging, not because the front is lifted.

Would have to agree with that, as don't know about over there but here they are well known for having a sagging ass within a couple of years.
You would have to wind them up as far as they could go (just about) to worry about breaking cv's unless your doing some serious off-roading. Even then it depends upon your driving style i.e. pedal to the metal, as if you drive off-road at a steady pace & take obstacles i.e. hill/rock climbs, wash outs etc, at a slow & reasonable pace you shouldn't have to many probs. :thumbsup:

i thought the back was sagging too. liikong at the leaf springs they are beginning to look like a flattened wave lol. And i usually go pretty slow off road, but i have been known to gun in through some mud and water from time to time ;) if im on a rough dirt road i go kinda fast. i dont like crawling. ill just have to be somewhat more careful i guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you get umm lets say your drivers side front wheel up in the air & have to work it on a place which needs lots of articulation, your gunning it (really) wheel is spinning full bore & then your front wheel hits the ground with lots of traction, SNAP!!!!

26-04-09-3.jpg

26-04-09.jpg

That's just an example of course but they are designed to be the weak link, as are easily & cheaply, repaired rather than an axle or somewhere else along your drive-line.
Having fun in the mud shouldn't be a worry, hey where all guilty of that aren't we, & shouldn't worry cv joints, more of a hassle cleaning the disc brakes after LOL.

Back