Torsion Bar Adjusters

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
I just received my t-bar adjusters from FPN, and i don't know if i should return one or not.

One of the adjuster's pads is not quite centered. As a matter of fact it overhangs one side by 1/4", while not covering about 1/8" of the actual metal on the other side.

25243New_Image.jpg

Should i send it back? I really wanted to do this repair this evening but don't want to waste $30 on a product that quality control should never have let out of the parts factory.

Whattaya think? I am considering ordering one from Ford locally and when it comes in, swapping this one with the other, but then i can't make the repair until next week (takes 3-4 days to get in stock).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After looking at the "good" one, it's not all that much better! Has anyone tried bringing these parts to a dealer for an exchange?

I wouldn't worry about it. Being off centered a little won't hurt anything.

I also expected the "kevlar" pad would be thicker than 1/16"

Its kevlar man, it doesn't need to be a half inch thick.

I got the same exact thing from ford parts network they looked exactly the same and I have not had a problem since installing them ;)

Why did my 98 Mountaineer have no padding at all? They are solid metal, and I have no noise. Regards,

CDW6212R said:
Why did my 98 Mountaineer have no padding at all? They are solid metal, and I have no noise. Regards,

You will notice some noise after a while. Unless you are a lucky one.

98s have a different design that 95-97's

My adjusters were like that also. My clunking is still there however, just not as "hard".

Possibly the later trucks have a "pad" on the frame, instead of the adjuster arm? I have my right adjuster arm flipped, to get that side equally as low as the left.

CDW6212R said:
I have my right adjuster arm flipped, to get that side equally as low as the left.

I plan to lower it as well. How low did you go? I didn't plan to do a TF, just a TT, but i decide to go THAT low, should i not waste the new adjusters? At that point you doon't need the padding, right?

BTW, has anyone even considered trying to reman their adjusters themselves? It seems like it'd be easy enough to do. Some Heavy duty adhesive and heavy duty padding (from where i don't know). I figure $10 gets you 2 "new" adjusters. Ford's padding doesn't seem to last that long...I figure we should be able to do as well, if not better.

only 98+'s can flip their adjusters without problems

Thanks for the clarification Boomin

Well, i did manage to get the t-bar adjusters replaced on Saturday. QUITE a difference.

Here are the old ones:

2524307-06-05_1447.jpg

Instead of using a puller, which Autozone did not have in stock, i seperated the knuckle from the upper balljoint and removed the lower bolts from the shock. This allowed the control arm to drop and removed all of the tension from the torsion bar (a process i read elsewhere here at EF).

The total job took 2.5 hours, 1 of which was spent grinding off a couple bolt heads from the adjuster protective cover - no air tools, so i used a rotozip with a metal cutting/grinding disc - what a b!tch.

The hardest part was getting the adjuster to twist just enough to get the rectangular adjuster "key" back into the opening. Having a puller would have made this easier, but once i figured it out on the driver side (i lowered the truck down (stock jack) and used the jackstand to align the adjuster) the passenger side took only 30 minutes.

I thought the Edelbrock shocks i purchased a while back were just plain crap, but new adjusters brought out the best in them. The clunking is almost totally gone, although i did notice that my left-upper BJ is shot and in need of replacement. This leaves only, ummmm, 10 things on the to-do list.

I'm seriously considering refurbing these adjusters - it seems like it could be done with minimal cost - anyone know where you can buy kevlar padding?

BuffaloXplorer said:
I'm seriously considering refurbing these adjusters - it seems like it could be done with minimal cost - anyone know where you can buy kevlar padding?
That question has been asked here several times in a variety of ways. It would be a boon to all of us if there is some way to refurbish these things. ANYBODY?

What is the different part on the 98+ models, which mates to the non kevlar adjuster. If you change to the later style, wouldn't that be an improvement? Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BuffaloXplorer said:
You have yours fixed for now, yes? Check out this other old thread about the difference between the 95-97, and 98-01 adjusters. You or others might rather fabricate the 98-01 parts to fit the 95-97 frame:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1247066#post1247066

Back